Thread: Blues Pearl Amps?

The Duke Of Trades
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Blues Pearl Amps?

What's the story on these? I seem to recall someone here speaking highly of them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Blues Pearl Amps?

Guess who that might be.

It's the only amp company I've ever been endorsed by, and they're everything they're cracked up to be. Here's a quick rundown.

Robert Hudson was a design engineer for General Electric in the 70's where he learned tube amp design forward and backward. The guy is a tormented tube genious, like I've never known before. Much of what I know, I learned from him through my dealings with him. He was also the guitar tech for Jimmy Page/Black Crowes tour, as well as the country band Alabama. Alabama's Jeff Cooke and I did clinics for them at NAMM shows in the mid 90's.
    I was in a popular West Coast blues rock band, The Kinship. We were kinda considered the California version of Black Crowes and Skynrd, but folded when our singer returned to Texas, due to a potential divorce, and a daughter who was sick....anyway....

Robert Hudson started Blues Pearl around 95, and his trademark was blue diamond tolex that looked better than Ampeg, white grillcloth, royal blue chassis, and white chicken head knobs. They looked like navy and white Fenders with white chicken head knobs. They were all handwired, and I'm tellin ya, they were the best Fender Blackface copies EVER MADE!! Even better than Victoria, Holland, and Diaz. I had a Bluesmaster, Shredhead, Texas Tornado, and the Brittone 50 that's on Ebay....I owned that same exact one that's listed right now. I emailed him and told him the history today.

Anyway, Bob got in over his head and couldn't fill orders, so he was working around the clock in the late 90's, building the best amps and pedals you've ever heard. He was working so hard that his back started giving out, and he became addicted to pain pills.....in a major way! Pretty soon, he wasn't able to keep up with demand, and started pissing off all his vendors and retailers.
    Pretty soon, he was F'ed!! He had vendors cutting off his supplies and trying to sue him for the money. He owed retailers amps, and couldn't deliver them, so they too were suing him. IN WAY TOO DEEP!
    After awhile his reputation got dragged through the mud, which is very unfortunate. Even I was being screwed by him, because that BP Brittone 50 that's on Ebay was owed to me, and I thought he'd taken my cost deal endorsement money! I threated to sue him too, and he finally sent it to me.
    I actually sold that amp to help finance my Bogner. After awhile, I decided to sell off my Blues Pearl collection, and the one I really wish I had back was my Texas Tornado (Fender Deluxe Reverb copy). It was one of the best amps I've ever owned.

Nowadays, I'm sure Robert Hudson is in hiding, because he had everyone in the world trying to sue him, his back was broken, he was addicted to pain pills, and I wouldn't be surprised if his family left him. Poor guy! I really do respect Robert Hudson. He's one of the greatest amp builders of all time, and is in the same class as Mark Sampson (Matchless/Bad Cat). I feel terrible about what happened to his life, because if he had better business sense, he could have proceeded like Mark Sampson did, or Mike Fuller from Fulltone.
    Blues Pearl amps are the very best Blackface, Tweed, and Plexi copies ever made....far better than even the originals, if you can believe that!
    That plexi on Ebay was once mine, and is one of those amps I regret selling.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-26-2005 at 07:53 PM.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

The Duke Of Trades
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    I owned that same exact one that's listed right now. I emailed him and told him the history today.
    It's a small world. I asked about Blues Pearl because I was thinking about going for that Brittone on Ebay. Since you actually owned that exact amp, maybe you could tell me about it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the fattest sounding 50W plexi you've ever heard, and will blow away even an original, although it has a cleaner headroom than a Marshall. That means it doesn't overdrive very much till it's pretty loud, which was why I decided to part with it.
    If only I'd kept it, and had different tubes, and maybe a tiny bit of work done to it, I could have gotten it as gainy as I wanted it. That amp is a friggin monster! Fat as Fukk! It has a real plexiglass front, and the components are top notch, even better than the original 50W 68 plexi. If you're a strat player looking for the ultimate Hendrix amp, that Brittone is it. If only I'd kept it! I would have put GT mullard pres in it, and Svetlana =C= EL-34's. It was just a bit too loud and clean for my taste, but knowing what I know now......I screwed up selling that. I'm delighted to see that it's been kept in museum condition! If it weren't tax time, I'd being scheming to buy it back.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.