Thread: Hey Lew: About your 59TB Strat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Hey Lew: About your 59TB Strat.

I've seen you mention it before, but it hadn't really "clicked" in my head, that you have a Strat with only a 59TB in it. I'm assuming you don't bang out a lot of Blink 182 songs.

Its even more intrigueing that you have another Strat that also has a 59TB in the bridge, which you could switch to bridge-only mode at any time. So . . . if you don't mind my asking . . .

What kind of mood are you in when you reach for that particular Strat?
    What do you play with it? (Songs, pedals, amps.)

Thanks.
    Artie

Lewguitar

Default Re: Hey Lew: About your 59TB Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo
    I've seen you mention it before, but it hadn't really "clicked" in my head, that you have a Strat with only a 59TB in it. I'm assuming you don't bang out a lot of Blink 182 songs.

Its even more intrigueing that you have another Strat that also has a 59TB in the bridge, which you could switch to bridge-only mode at any time. So . . . if you don't mind my asking . . .

What kind of mood are you in when you reach for that particular Strat?
    What do you play with it? (Songs, pedals, amps.)

Thanks.
    Artie
    The guitar is a single pickup 80's Japanese Fender Squire with a rosewood fingerboard that I bought for well under $200 in mint condition a few years agao. I can't remember what I paid for it but I think it was around $180.

And this is truth: I had a gorgeous flame top Ernie Ball Axis and a flame top CE-24 PRS but when I got this old Squire Strat and installed the 59 TB I sold both of those guitars because the Squire sounds SO MUCH better. Much livlier.

It's a great Strat and when I reach for it I'm in a mood to do nothing but rock out and wail until I get blisters on my fingers! I play mostly Cream-era Clapton and Truth-era Jeff Beck type stuff on it, but also stuff like Hideaway, Steppin Out, Rock My Plimsoul, etc.

Mostly guitar solos and instrumental things. It sounds killer plugged into my '51 Super...like a Les Paul through a Marshall. I almost always use it with one of my smaller tweed Fenders cranked.

Altho I have a slew of classic effects pedals I don't use them much at all. I have a wide range of amps so I can just plug into whatever amp gets me a good, natural, overdriven rock tone at the volume I feel like playing at.

Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Lew. I knew I liked inexpensive guitars.

There's also something about simple, clean designs that intrigues me.
    Sounds like a fun axe.

Artie

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo
    Thanks Lew. I knew I liked inexpensive guitars.

There's also something about simple, clean designs that intrigues me.
    Sounds like a fun axe.

Artie
    Artie, you ought to keep your eyes out for one.

There's something about a single bridge pickup guitar like this Strat or an Esquire that makes for a tone that's very lively.

I know in a a tele the neck pickup affects the tone of the strings because the magnetic polepieces draw on the strings a little and they can't vibrate as freely. So the bridge pickup of an Esquire has always sounded better to me than the bridge pickup of a Tele.

Humbuckers have less string pull than single coils, but still, a guitar with a single bridge pickup, even if it's a humbucker, seems livlier to me and the strings seem to ring more.

Seymour's Esquire is legendary for having great tone and it's kind of the nature of single bridge pickup guitars like Les Paul Jrs, Esquires, EVH type Strats, etc. to have killer lead tone.

Lew