Thread: Rio Grande Texas/BBQ vs SD's ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rio Grande Texas/BBQ vs SD's ?

Hello,

I saw post just below about yet another pickup company. Here's a post asking for any comments on a company called Rio Grande's "Texas" and "BBQ" humbuckers. Has anyone used these ? I am in a guitar building project and my supplier carries the Rio Grande stuff. Is there a comparable Seymour Duncan set ? Maybe Pearly Gates ?

Thanks!

PS My last project getting a Celestion Alnico Blue speaker into a restored '53 Fender Deluxe amp was a tremendous success. These speakers are amazing (and incredibly expensive). If you are having trouble wedging the very deep speakers into your favorite amp, consider taking the groovy magnet cover off. Mine went in OK as is.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rio Grande Texas/BBQ vs SD's ?

MVI,

I have been using the Rio Texas/BBQ set for a little while now. I love them. The BBQ is a thick sounding pickup with perfect mids and just the right amount of sparkle on top. The Texas neck is nice and fat sounding as well, and it balances great with the bridge pup, but it is not as remarkable as the BBQ bridge. It seems to be lacking character. But the set has a great tone when both pickups are combined.

Here is a clip-both the rhythm and lead are the BBQ bucker in the bridge. I like the nasally, PAF type tone. It makes this particular guitar, a Hamer Special FM, sound more like a Les Paul.

http://www.soundclick.us/fastkG/09/0...snakeshake.mp3
    Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends what SDs and what amp your using and what style your playing. Tonaly, the Rio's are very good pups. I had a BBQ/Texas set in my epiphone. I thought that the BBQ was good, but it was too dark, with too much bass for me. Now my amp is naturally bassy, and my Epi is not as bright as a regular Les Paul, so that's probably why. I replaced the BBQ with a JB. The Texas is a GREAT neck pup. Its like a hot rodded 59, probably wound to about 10-12k. Very articulate, great harmonics, just sings. Its a bit bassy on the low end though. All in all I liked a lot, actually liked it better than the BBQ.

I eventually replaced it with a Jazz neck. Just matches the JB better. So all in all, Rio's are nice pups, but personally I'm sticking with Duncans. They just have that....something for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There really is no Duncan model that is the equivalent of a BBQ. The Texas is somewhat similar to the '59, but not quite exact. It's Rio Grande's take on an A5 PAF, while the '59 is Duncan's take on an A5 PAF. I have a BBQ in my hamer Studio, it's a great choice if you want a medium output A5 pickup with plenty of bass and midrange and a softer treble response. I don't recommend it if you have a really dark setup, or if you like a lot of treble from your pickups. But otherwise, it's a great pickup.

Ryan

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed and that was my issue with it. I do like treble out of my pups and I do have a bassy set up. I couldn't get those singing quality leads out of the BBQ like I can get them out of the JB.