Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Ultimate Tele tone!

Ultimate Tone Member ParaGuitarMedic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ultimate Tele tone!

I adore my Anitquity I. Pure rock and roll!
    Guitars- Melancon, Paul Reed Smith
    Effects- Line 6, EMMA, Xotic, EB, Dunlop, Fulltone, Voodoo Labs, Analog Man, Boss
    Amp- Fender
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullkrusher View Post
    After comparing the 17inch and 15inch models side by side........I decided to go with the 15inch. The 17inch was nice, but I think it was a bit too big. Anyway........

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Falstaff
    Doc-
    Are you sure the Broadcaster is A5? I thought they were A3, so I emailed Ellis and he said that the B-caster are A3. Did you do a special order thing?

One thing I noticed is that the Broadcaster really came to life when I raised the pickup very high.

I just got the Hamel Tall neck pickup, hopefully that will match the bridge better than the Firebird that's in there now. The guitar just sounded too Sybil-esque.
    Falstaff,

No its not a custom order or anything. Probably my mistake.

You should be right, I did not explicitely ask what the magnets on the Broadcasters are. The thing is I am getting a Hamel STD-A and STD-B. A so called blackguard lead, and a broadcaster lead.

If you say they both are a3, I believe you. I somehow assumed (dunno why) Broadcasters have a5s. But anyway this time I don't care much about the magnet and have a wait and see strategy. Can't wait to get them!

The a3 strat pickups I have tried (fralin's real 54s) I thought were not good at all. But this time I hope I get lucky. Afterall I LOVE a3s in humbuckers.

B

Falstaff

Quote Originally Posted by dr.barlo
    : But anyway this time I don't care much about the magnet and have a wait and see strategy. Can't wait to get them!

B

Wait and see (or hear) is probably the best approach! I really hope you like them.

Lewguitar

Well...after playing Bill Kirchen's old Tele with Barden Pickups at NAMM I've got to include the Bardens as some of the finest Tele pickups I've ever played.

My initial impression of the Bardens was that they were a little hi-fi and a little to revealing for me to get totally comfortable with.

I was wrong!

In Bill's guitar they sound awesome. Part of that is the guitar and part of that is the special bridge Bill is using that is milled from a solid piece of 1/2 steel into the traditional Tele bridge configuration...makes that guitar ring like a bell!

But the Barden's blew me away with thier high output and strong, throaty, articulate tone. And in Bill's guitar I would never describe them as to hi fi. They sound ballsy as all get out!

Now I've got to get me a set...but they're going for $400 and up for a used set!

Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like my big bottom set for a warm tele tone.

It Isn't ice pickey but its 100% tele, just beefier.
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Lewguitar

So I got the Bardens and put them in my '54 Tele along with the Barden bridge. What a tone! Only thing I don't love about them is that they're not made by Seymour...and the price: $500 a set!

But they are worth every penny.

Tom Holmes humbuckers are in a similar price range. I have a set in my '59 RI Les Paul and although they are wonderful they are not worth $500 per set: the Bardens are.

I love 'em so much that I just picked up a second set for my Tele Custom...it's my slide guitar but it's a great guitar too.

The Bardens have it all...everything I've ever wanted from a Tele.

Searing, fat, soulful soloing tones with extraordinary pinch harmonics that fly off into the stratosphere with ease from the bridge pickup.

Beautiful rich and clear tone from the neck pickup for chords and rythym and then fat soulful soloing tones for everything from Jazz to rock to blues from the neck pickup.

They are without a doubt the pickups with the tone I've been hearing in my head for thirty years and have not found until now.

And the Barden bridge with compensated brass saddles is highly recommended too. It doesn't lock, but it reminds me of the improvement in tone a Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece make on a Les Paul: bigger, tighter and deeper tone and more sustain.

I've been wailing away through my blackface Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion G12H30 since I got the Bardens and I could not be more satisfied. Sounds just like Danny Gatton's Tele through his blackface Fender.

Lew

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

(Using my Jedi mind control via the internet) Lew....you want to give me your Barden set......they are no good.....you don't like them at all........
    Gibson R8, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Divided by 13 EDT 13/29, Twister Dust Devil, Marshall Class 5, Various pedals

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMarine
    (Using my Jedi mind control via the internet) Lew....you want to give me your Barden set......they are no good.....you don't like them at all........
    They do turn up on Ebay almost daily for around $500 a set.

You know, that's alot of money...but violinists, sax players, pianists, etc. spend way more than that to get the ultimate tone from thier ax. We guitarists have it easy (and cheap!) by comparism. Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An update:

I ended up with 2 Hamel tele leads, the broadcaster (STDB) and the blackguard (STDA). B measures 8.90K (#43 AWG wire) and has a3 mags. The A if I remember right measures 7.40K (#42 AWG wire) and it too has a3 mags.

I couldn't be happier. They are somewhat pricey yet the best I have used in my teles so far.

B

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found out the hard way the the OPPOSITE of the ultimate Tele sound is produced by the Telecaster Deluxe with the two humbuckers. I played that in a band with a guy who had a perfectly set up Strat, and mine was known as the "Fuzzbox", which it was by comparison and on it's own. I had a very difficult time finding acceptable tones. A complete failure in design concept by Fender. I know the normally set up Tele's can have great tones. I messed up by buying the hyped version, the label, and not knowing anything about guitars.

thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by captain cavman View Post
    The ultimate tele tone is : THE GREAT KEITH RICHARDS !

OUI!

Wherever there is good music, cold beer, and fine ladies, willing to give it up!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i kinda thought the base plates were copper coated steel or brass
    Copper coated high carbon steel...
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A great big bump!!! Any chance of this going into the vault along side the Strat tone thread?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let me throw in that since I changed out my American Series 6 saddle bridge for a Callaham 3 compensated saddle bridge I've been MUCH happier over all with my tele tone.

I think there is a lot to be said for those brass saddles being an integral part of the Tele tone.

Luke
    I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.

-FDR

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Duke View Post
    Let me throw in that since I changed out my American Series 6 saddle bridge for a Callaham 3 compensated saddle bridge I've been MUCH happier over all with my tele tone.

I think there is a lot to be said for those brass saddles being an integral part of the Tele tone.

Luke
    I've got a Wilkinson 3 compensated brass saddle bridge coming for my project.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    I've got a Wilkinson 3 compensated brass saddle bridge coming for my project.
    NICE!

I bet you'll be really happy with it. It might be a sugar pill but I think I get some more oomph and sustain as well from the new bridge and brass saddles.

Luke
    I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.

-FDR

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bridge arrived yesterday! Fitted it this morning. Just need to get a decent nut now, and at least I can start setting up. No idea what pickups or wiring to choose yet!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread is going in the vault (finally)