Thread: Overtones from Behind a TOM...

DeadSkinSlayer3

Default Overtones from Behind a TOM...

Alright...Just realized this. My Schecter with tonepros TOM/stringthru is getting some ringing overtones (quite loudly, too) from the G string behind the saddle. Anyone know how to get rid of it? I'm thnking of just taping foam back there or something, but that ain't too professional looking.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Overtones from Behind a TOM...

getchoo some tape, you know, like the really clear shiney kind? tape a peice of that on there. It wont be noticable to anyone but you, and it'll dampen the string.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here's the real pro way, lol!

Get thick gauge teflon tubing, next time you restring, thread the tubing around each string so that the strings cannot vibrate against the stop tail.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

DeadSkinSlayer3

I'm going to slap some foam in where the string rests against the TOM (right before it hits the saddle), to keep it from being too noticable. Thanks for the suggestions!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an SG that I rebuilt that has a similar problem. In this guitar's case, however, it seems to help with the sustain to have that sympathetic vibration going on. I know, it doesn't really make any sense, but the guitar sustains as well or better than a Les Paul. Is it noticeable when you're plugged in? I was going to do something with mine until I noticed that the only time it bugged me was when I was just noodling without an amp.

DeadSkinSlayer3

I just played it loud outside, can't tell with it plugged in. Weird! I guess I have the same exact problem you had.