Thread: Should i use a lighter gauge string

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Should i use a lighter gauge string

Ive been playing for about 5 years and like last year i came up with the idea that if i used heavier strings than it would be a better exercise than lighter strings so i switched to 11s but im starting to wonder that i should probably go with a lighter string cause there would be less muscle tension and id be able to play faster and when my band gets more serious id switch to a lighter string anyway but for practicing speed should i go with a heavier or lighter string?

Ultimate Tone Slacker strat_master's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Should i use a lighter gauge string

the decision is realy upto you. I say give ti some time, if you really cant cope with heavier string then switch back. I play with .10.-.52 strings and i found it different but now im so used to them after a year, it doesnt even feel right playing lighter strings anymore.

Toolman of Tone
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To me, it's a balance between playability and tone. The heavier strings generally sound better, but they aren't as easy to play (obviously). I use a .10 - .46 set because that's the balance that works for me.

I don't know that I would be comfortable practicing on one gauge and playing on another. I would far prefer to practice with the same gauge that I'm going to play. Otherwise, I fear that I would be bending sharp a lot.
    Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the thing is I can play fine on the heavier strings but just think about it the heavier the strings you use the more tense your muscles will be and its better the more relaxed your muscles are right?