Thread: Linking Effects

Falstaff

Default Linking Effects

I have picked up a pedal or three lately and was wondering what you guys use to link them together. I have some crappy patch cords but they are probably not too good. Hopefully youse guys can recommend something decent that I can pick up around here.

Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Linking Effects

I use 6" patch cords with L shaped jacks. They are made by HOSA... There are different brands out there. Any music store should have them.
    ---RCM78

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use L-shaped Switchcraft or G&H plugs and whatever quality shielded cable I come across (most of it's Belden, but some of it's Contour). It's much, much cheaper to solder it together yourself.

DiMarzio and Planet Waves are good. Monster is good but overpriced. I like BRTB's Xcaliber series cables, but I think they're only available in Canada.

If your going to buy premade cables, makes sure it comes with a lifetime waranty, and that lots of stores carry it. That way, if it ever breaks you can just take it in and exchange it with (generally) no questions asked.

Also, don't skimp, a cheap cable can really kill your tone.
    If you can't play good, play loud.

Sh*t
    Les Paul -> Cantrell Wah -> Mesa Mark V -> Recto 4x12

Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

George L sells a pedalboard kit that includes 5' of cable & 10 right-angle connectors - enough for 5 patch cords. No soldering, about $5 a piece (excl. shipping), you figure out how long each cord should be, and virtually no effect on tone

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Ultimate Tone Member BluesNRock87's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

george L i hear great things about

i have 2 fender 6" double right angle (electrovolt professional low noise cable) used to link 3 effects......no real effect on tone, solid, well built (had them 2 yrs now). i reccomend them. though im gonna get the george L kit eventually
    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
    Crate VC-3112
    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
    Fender Bassman 60

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would think an effects pedal would suck more tone then a cable. Besides it's the length of the cable that can kill tone. Were only talking about 6" patch cords.

I dont buy the hype surounding high end cables. Ever see how thin the wire is used to wire up your pickups or switches??
    I've been using Wirlwind and Horizon cables for years with no problems...
    ---RCM78

Falstaff

Thanks, guys. I think I will try the George thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RCM78
    I would think an effects pedal would suck more tone then a cable. Besides it's the length of the cable that can kill tone. Were only talking about 6" patch cords.

I dont buy the hype surounding high end cables. Ever see how thin the wire is used to wire up your pickups or switches??
    I've been using Wirlwind and Horizon cables for years with no problems...
    I have tone sucking pedal, it's called a wah.

I have a set of six 6" patch cables. They cost me about $12 all together.

You want to see tone sucking? Plug these in.

The hype around high end cables is only sorta justfied. They do improve your sound quality, but not because of the copper. It's the shielding and the quality of the connector your paying for. Poorly shielded cables suck. I have a 10' guitar cable that's a virtual antenna, and a 20' guitar cable that is virtually silent.

Also, while the wire gauge may be the same, if a cable isn't oxygen free it will rust internally. Ever get that crackling noise when you wiggle your cable? That's rust rubbing against itself.

Lastly, while it doesn't happen often, I have seen this a few times; cheap end connectors - the tips can break off in your jack. Now that sucks.

And as for spending a fortune on high end cables? That's why I make my own. For a couple of $ a jack, and pennies on the foot for high quality cable, I probably spend less money on my high end cables than the next guy does buying crap premade stuff.

Lastly, until you've run all high end cables, you probably shouldn't comment as to their impact on your tone. It's kinda like having you tell me what an amp you never heard before sounds like.
    Last edited by some_dude; 05-08-2004 at 07:57 AM.

Sh*t

Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Falstaff -

While S.D. may have been a bit emphatic about it, I agree that the shielding and the connectors are key to good cables.

After I bought the George L kit, I did some A/B testing versus the collection of budget connectors I'd been using - turned out that replacing those pieces of crap improved my tone more than replacing my 12' cord. (I'd been thinking exactly what you did - why worry about a 6" cord?)

That said, there is a ton of marketing hype and total rip-offs in the "high fidelity" cable biz. I recently bought some Belden cable & Neutriks jacks from Mouser and asked my guitar teacher to test out the first cord - he lent me a hi-end Monster cable (same length) and told me he liked the one I made better Now we're bartering cables for lessons...

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_Start
    While S.D. may have been a bit emphatic about it, I agree that the shielding and the connectors are key to good cables.
    Yeah.

Sorry.

Bad day.

Sh*t

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the GL kit. Using a pedalboard, I have to stagger pedals so that my fat foot doesnt step on two switches simultaneously. This ruled out 6" cables. The kit allowed me to customize the length, and I swear I had to readjust my amp settings, because the signal had improved that much!! I was using some crappy cables thinking that 6" couldnt hurt my sound that much. The ironic thing is that I had Planet Waves going in and coming out of the pedalboard. I might has well have been using speaker wire, cause the POC 6" cables were undermining the PW's. Do NOT skimp on cables, it will undermine a nice rig without hesitation or warning!
    Custom guitar I built @ Roberto-Venn
    Koa/Mahogany "Les-Paul'" w/ JB/Jazz
    Koa/Ash "1952" Telecaster w/ Fender No-Casters
    D-28 Dreadnought Clone Bubinga/Spruce
    000 OM Clone Walnut/Cedar

Hand-wired "RV-84" - ~30 watts
    JCM 800 PreAmp/Tone Stack - Vox AC30 PowerAmp
    5AR4 Rectifier; and Diode Recto (switchable) and a choke to reduce recto-sag...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_Start
    Hi Falstaff -

After I bought the George L kit, I did some A/B testing versus the collection of budget connectors I'd been using - turned out that replacing those pieces of crap improved my tone more than replacing my 12' cord. (I'd been thinking exactly what you did - why worry about a 6" cord?)

That said, there is a ton of marketing hype and total rip-offs in the "high fidelity" cable biz. I recently bought some Belden cable & Neutriks jacks from Mouser and asked my guitar teacher to test out the first cord - he lent me a hi-end Monster cable (same length) and told me he liked the one I made better Now we're bartering cables for lessons...

Chip
    Way to go, Chip!
    I think using good patch cables is must. If you have as many pedals in your chain as I do, good cables and connectors are very important. I've weeded through several to get to some good ones, and with a new pedalboard arriving from NYC Pedalboards any day now, I've chosen to go with George L.'s for most of the board until I can afford another kit.
    I would also think that if one was to do some recording, the less line noise the better....right?
    Last edited by midnite_man; 05-11-2004 at 05:53 PM.
    Fender MIA Strat/Antiquity s.c.'s,Fender MIJ 60's Strat SSL-1n/APS1m/SSL-4b,Gibson LP Studio Jazz-n/an aged 'PAF-soundin' road-worn JB,'06 Schecter Corsair semi-hollow, a couple Epi's w/SD's, tube amps by Fender (DRRI and Blues DeVille) ,Effects:Fulltone DejaVibe,Vox847 wah,TS-9, DS-1 (thanks, John S.!), C.M. Plexitone (thanks, Niels!),MXR flange,Line6 DL-4,

Falstaff

Well, everyone seems to agree! Thanks, gentlemen!