Thread: alnico 2 vs. alnico 5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default alnico 2 vs. alnico 5

OK, can someone give me the lowdown on these two and compared to each other how they differ.

After reading some posts on here it seems like a2's have less mud and a clearer tone when compared to the a5 magnets. I thought it was the other way around? i was under the impression that a5's have a tighter, less flabby, brighter tone, no?

anyways, someone set me straight here!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: alnico 2 vs. alnico 5

not to be rude, but first of all, there is no difference in sound between mags, but there are different strengths, and it makes the pickup sound different. sorry its just one of my pet peeves. You're on the right track with the way you're thinking. A2 is weaker, so it gives the impression of a softer, rounder pickup sound. A5 is stronger, and gives the impression of a brighter, glassier, sharper sound. check out http://www.seymourduncan.com/website....shtml#magnets for more info.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dr space
    OK, can someone give me the lowdown on these two and compared to each other how they differ.

After reading some posts on here it seems like a2's have less mud and a clearer tone when compared to the a5 magnets. I thought it was the other way around? i was under the impression that a5's have a tighter, less flabby, brighter tone, no?

anyways, someone set me straight here!
    Let's try to answer your questions...My experience with swapping these 2 magnets goes like this...(In the same pickup)

A2...Less bass,less overall tightness in tone,more mids,highs very slightly less..The mids seem to dominate a bit more over the lows and highs...The A2 magnet does different things in different pickups and in a "Hybrid" pickup acts like an A5..

A5...Tighter sounding,good percussive palm muted notes that retain clarity,bass seems stronger as does the highs..Mids have a more scooped tone,more output or a sense of higher output from the things mentioned..YMMV and this is just one's opinion..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Let's try to answer your questions...My experience with swapping these 2 magnets goes like this...(In the same pickup)

A2...Less bass,less overall tightness in tone,more mids,highs very slightly less..The mids seem to dominate a bit more over the lows and highs...The A2 magnet does different things in different pickups and in a "Hybrid" pickup acts like an A5..

A5...Tighter sounding,good percussive palm muted notes that retain clarity,bass seems stronger as does the highs..Mids have a more scooped tone,more output or a sense of higher output from the things mentioned..YMMV and this is just one's opinion..

John
    John's description is exactly what I hear too...tho I don't like the "scooped mids" description as I think it gives people the impression that a5 pickups like the 59 and JB have scooped mids. IMO, they do not. They have plenty of mids! Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    John's description is exactly what I hear too...tho I don't like the "scooped mids" description as I think it gives people the impression that a5 pickups like the 59 and JB have scooped mids. IMO, they do not. They have plenty of mids! Lew
    Ok scooped is a bit extreme I Know....How about a subtle decrease in mids? Never try to pull the wool over Lew's eyes!

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Ok scooped is a bit extreme I Know....How about a subtle decrease in mids? Never try to pull the wool over Lew's eyes!

John
    Ha! It's just that "scooped mids" implies a tone that's more of an effect. I think of that term as implying that heavy metal tone some guys got by using a parametric eq or graphic eq for a tone that scoops the mids in a very effected sort of way. And the mids in the 59 or JB don't have that type of tonal flavor to them, IMO. Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    Ha! It's just that "scooped mids" implies a tone that's more of an effect. I think of that term as implying that heavy metal tone some guys got by using a parametric eq or graphic eq for a tone that scoops the mids in a very effected sort of way. And the mids in the 59 or JB don't have that type of tonal flavor to them, IMO. Lew
    You're right Lew....I'm not worthy! (Bows down to his brother Lew)......
    The mids do change when I go from A2 to A5 but maybe it's harder to explain what I actually hear? There....Got around that one huh buddy?

John

Human powerplant Vasshu the humanoid typhoon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the same impressions as the gentlemen above.
    The A2's also has that funny woody sound, very sweet.
    Not gonna miss you know!
    Information is not knowledge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dr Space,

Don't make the mistake I did…In regards to flux density alnico mags go 1,3,2,4,5,8. Don't quote me but IIRC 6 & 7 fall between 4 & 5.

Personally when I drop PUs in a guitar they're stock, once recorded (with band so I know what they do in the mix) I one up the neck ex: neck a2 bridge a3, neck 4 bridge 2, neck 5 bridge 4 (or 2).

So let's say you bought a matched set with a5s (neck 7.6k bridge 8.5), but you just don't have enough oomph (low mid) on the bridge so you drop down to an a2 which solves the oomph problem but now your slightly under powered so you need a PU with more turns or rather 300 ohms worth of wire.

Will post links to mag manufactures sites if you ask…
    Me and Neal's stage rig.