Thread: Strat Affinity Series Info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Strat Affinity Series Info

What you all think of this guitar. Its a Squier Afinity One series, Serial Number CY80911687. I can't find any info on the year or anything. Maybe one of you knows what its worth? I think its chinese made. Any info would be appreciated. I think its Chinese made in 1980, so is that a good thing? Anyone know about Chinese Affinity Strats from the 80's? Good? Bad?

Last edited by dark_knight; 03-29-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Strat Affinity Series Info

I don't know if it is possible at all to tell a year of production from those Chinese serial numbers, but any Chinese Affinity will NOT be from 1980. Squier was founded in 1982, and only built in Japan at first (if you don't count the old Mexican 'Squier Series'). Later on (I believe in the early nineties), production expanded to Korea. China and Indonesia are more recent expansions. I think China was added halfway through the nineties, and Indonesia around 2000 / 2001.
    Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
    Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Affinity's have a thinner, cheaper body. My boy has one. Its noticeably lighter and thinner sounding - even with a full compliment of Duncan single-sized humbuckers. If you can afford it, get the regular Squier line.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo
    Affinity's have a thinner, cheaper body. My boy has one. Its noticeably lighter and thinner sounding - even with a full compliment of Duncan single-sized humbuckers. If you can afford it, get the regular Squier line.
    I have both an Affinity and an eighties MIJ Squier, and my Affinity is substantially heavier than the Jap. Sounds warm and thick with the Levinson singlecoils that are in it right now. It's not 'the real Strat-tone' in my opinion though, sounds a bit denser and warmer and lacks the top end sparkle of a proper Strat (my MIJ does have that sparkle). I'd rather call the tone a bit dull, after hearing some other good Strats and owning my MIJ Squier for a while. I still mess with it sometimes though, much thanks to a kickass wiring and switching scheme Artie has drawn for me

But to get back to the Affinity-issue: I guess what I'm trying to say is that no two Affinities are alike. The one Artie's son plays is light and sounds thin, mine is heavy and sounds big. You'd really have to try that particular guitar, and if you're able, compare it to some others and find the one that suits you best. Differences can be substantial.
    Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
    Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the Fender Info Base:

Chinese Squiers:

“YN”: The second character refers to the decade: “N” represents “Nineties” (1990's). And the first number following is the year. So, for example "YN6" = 1996. This form is associated with “Made” in China Affinity’s (with the standard body thickness of 45mm/1.75”).

“CD”/”CT”/”CY”, followed by 2-digit year. “CY” appears on all models produced in China, and is by far the most common form. “CD” appears limited to some Affinity Strat’s, and “CT” appears limited to some Affinity Tele’s. These forms are apparently associated with the change to “Crafted” in China, so post-1996 models only would have this form of serial number.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dark_knight
    From the Fender Info Base:

Chinese Squiers:

“CD”/”CT”/”CY”, followed by 2-digit year. “CY” appears on all models produced in China, and is by far the most common form.
    I assure you there were NO Squiers at all in 1980, and no Fender or Squier production in China in that period. Also note that no such info on serial numbers can be obtained from Fenders own website. Fender does not support these theories and just states the dating of these instruments as 'unclear'.
    Last edited by Jeroen; 03-30-2006 at 05:24 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EH. ok. I guess I'll have to find out when I play it. Rusty strings and all. What would you value this guitar at? Lets say its an 80's Affinity Strat most likey and made in China.