Thread: Adding a pickup cover...possible? Good idea?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Adding a pickup cover...possible? Good idea?

Hi All,

Is it possible to add a chrome PU cover to a Les Paul that currently has uncovered PU's?

Would I need certain covers for Duncan PU's.

Does SD sell Pearly gates and JB PU's that are already covered (for future knowledge)?

Thanks!
    TCW

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Adding a pickup cover...possible? Good idea?

Yes, it's possible and pretty easy if you're handy with a solder iron. Make sure you get covers with the right pole-piece spacing though.
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes

Yes, 49mm pole spacing

Yes
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

heymcz

I'll answer part II of the title of your thread: QUESTIONABLE IDEA. I went through a covered pickup phase, and I found that they put a dent in the tone, especially with lower output pickups ('59, A2P) in the neck. I've directly compared the '59 in the same guitar, covered and uncovered. It was muddier and blurrier with the cover.

It didn't affect the higher output pickups as much (Custom, Distortion), in fact, I think the distortion sounded slightly better with the cover. ALSO: nickel covers are subject to tarnishing if you're a "moist" player (have fun with that one.) Chrome doesn't tarnish, but it looks cheaper to begin with.

I'm back to open coils.