Thread: Wilkinson Tremolo in a Strat??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wilkinson Tremolo in a Strat??

I am just starting a major overhaul on my stratocaster, a friend suggested that I put a wilkinson tremolo on it. My strat is american so it has the two posts at the correct spacing, would this be worth it to put it on?? I have heard people say that you can really do a lot of whammy stuff, and that the overall feel of the tremolo system is much better. I am just not sure if they are compairing that to the vintage style 6 screw style or the 2 point USA tremolo. Can some one help me out here????

Here is what my strat is gonna end up with...
    Olympic White Body (starting to yellow nicely), rosewood fretboard
    Tortoise shell HH pickguard (white SD Jazz, and JB trembucker pickups)
    3 way tele style switch (thought about the 5 way superswitch, but not sure if the humbuckers are going to split and sound good together or not)
    Locking tuners
    Graphite (or bone) nut
    and now maybe the Wilkinson Tremolo system

I will get pics as soon as everything arrives and is put together next week.

GUITARS: 2 Fender Strats, and Epi Les Paul
    PEDALS: X2 Wireless, 535Q crybaby, Line6 MM4, ISP Decimater, OCD, Fulltone GT-500, 2 Boss DD-5's and Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
    AMP: Fender DeVille

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wilkinson Tremolo in a Strat??

try playing the high end yamaha pacifica, they are strat copies with wilkinson trems.
    On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one on one of my strats and there is no problem with the aliegnment of the 2 point USA trem. To me they do feel better than the stock trem but I believe that's just my preference. If you plan on doing a lot of whammy stuff, I would strongly sugguest a graph-tech or graphite (graph-tech preferred) nut and locking tuners, without either one you will still have tuning problems when using your bar. I have 2 strats one with a graph-tech nut the other with just a graphite. Now it maybe just me, but the graph-tech strat (which also has the Wilkinson on it) stays in tune better than the graphite strat (standard bridge) under severe whammying. They both stay in tune a certain extent, but the graph-tech strat can take a better beating than my graphite strat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks walt. I am really leaning twards the wilkinson now. I think it will really make the gutar stand out too. Sorry I forgot i was in the Pickup Lounge, I think this tread belongs in the Guitar forum! Opps!

GUITARS: 2 Fender Strats, and Epi Les Paul
    PEDALS: X2 Wireless, 535Q crybaby, Line6 MM4, ISP Decimater, OCD, Fulltone GT-500, 2 Boss DD-5's and Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
    AMP: Fender DeVille

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do a search on Ebay for wv6sb. This is the model of the Wilkinson vintage style trem with the 5+1 hole pattern (for tuning stability) and a steel block for sustain. I've got one on order now and I can't wait to install it. It should be a direct replacement for our stock trems.

You can find diagrams for it if you do a google search on wv6sb as well.

The non-steel block is the wv6.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've built 3 strats with the 2 post Wilkinson. IMO, it is designed well and has good tone, easy to set up and stable tuning wise.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would definitely do a 6 screw bridge....more contact with the body of the guitar. Around here, a lot of guys think that they can keep their guitars in tune just as well w/a 6 screw bridge as a 2 point w/a little practice. Mine is flush w/the guitar with 5 springs, so I haven't tested it that way yet though...but on 2 boards they feel the same way about it.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 2-point Wilkinson bridge works great for me. IMHO being able to lock down the saddles after setting intonation provides a really solid bridge even with "only" two posts. Adjustable friction on the rotation of the whammy bar is a nice feature too - you can make it stiff or floppy.

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"