Thread: Golden Dragon 12ax7....great tube!

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Golden Dragon 12ax7....great tube!

I've been swapping pre amp tubes in my 18 watt and finally tried one of the Golden Dragon 12ax7's in V1. Stratdeluxer's comments on the tube from his preamp tube shootout really had me intrigued. I've tried various tubes(Tungsol, EH, EI, JJ, RCA Grey plate, and an old grey plate 7025) in all of the positions but V1 is the most sensitive to change. The GD has been the most musical, very quiet, great gain, low end and mids, very smooth highs and no icepick. I've found a winner in my own little shoot out. Great tube and inexpensive. You can still find them on ebay. Thanks John for turning me on to the Golden Dragon!

Current tube line up:

EL84-Ei's
    V1- Golden Dragon 12ax7
    V2- Tungsol 12ax7
    V3- JJ 12ax7

This all equals wicked tone, I love this set up!
    Gibson R8, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Divided by 13 EDT 13/29, Twister Dust Devil, Marshall Class 5, Various pedals

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Golden Dragon 12ax7....great tube!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMarine
    I've been swapping pre amp tubes in my 18 watt and finally tried one of the Golden Dragon 12ax7's in V1. Stratdeluxer's comments on the tube from his preamp tube shootout really had me intrigued. I've tried various tubes(Tungsol, EH, EI, JJ, RCA Grey plate, and an old grey plate 7025) in all of the positions but V1 is the most sensitive to change. The GD has been the most musical, very quiet, great gain, low end and mids, very smooth highs and no icepick. I've found a winner in my own little shoot out. Great tube and inexpensive. You can still find them on ebay. Thanks John for turning me on to the Golden Dragon!

Current tube line up:

EL84-Ei's
    V1- Golden Dragon 12ax7
    V2- Tungsol 12ax7
    V3- JJ 12ax7

This all equals wicked tone, I love this set up!
    Cool buddy! THE only current made tube that I Like more than the GD,is this GT12AX7M....So far so good and it's holding up fine,just did a 4 hour gig with it and no problems.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's another one I've been wanting to get, just to have in my box of preamp tubes, until it beats something else in an amp.

I don't know much about it, but is it possible it's just a Shuguang 9th Generation Chinese tested to high standards, or is it an entirely different tube?
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone remember PM Power Tubes from the UK? (well, most made in China) I have some of those and they're spectacular. They did (or do) a lot of supervising in China, and somewhere I heard that the Golden Dragon is one of theirs. Like the GD is the same tube as the PM12AX7A or something. PM had some proprietary design ideas built to high standards in China, and their 12AX7's and 7A's are my favorite today, I just can't find them anywhere. Anyway just checking if anyone has heard of a correlation between the two.

Edit: Oops! I guess I CAN find them, they're on e-bay.
    Last edited by frankfalbo; 05-31-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    That's another one I've been wanting to get, just to have in my box of preamp tubes, until it beats something else in an amp.

I don't know much about it, but is it possible it's just a Shuguang 9th Generation Chinese tested to high standards, or is it an entirely different tube?
    Not sure on that GJ? Bought mine from Doug Hoffman in the early 90s and that's what he used in his amps and swore by them...He used the GD EL34s also..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.