Thread: Time for another pickup swap in the SG

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Time for another pickup swap in the SG

It's been 2 weeks since I switched to a Pearly Gates neck in the ole SG and I'm
    not digging it. It sounds kind of brittle and harsh. I have it teamed with a Rio Grande BBQ, which sounds GREAT distorted and not so hot clean.

So I'm thinking of either plugging my 59's back into both spots, or maybe going in an entirely new direction and getting either a set of Phat Cats or maybe '57 Classics from Gibson.

I want a really crisp, vintage sound out of the neck. Something that will be right at home playing blues, rockabilly, etc. but will fatten up when I roll the volume tone down. I don't use the neck much with gain, 'cept when I'm going for the Clapton Cream vibe.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Time for another pickup swap in the SG

burstbucker 1
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you describe the Burstbucker tone-wise?

I was actually in GC tonight and played a '59 RI in tobacco burst. Beautiful guitar, seemed lighter and much more manageable than most other LP's I've played (better be for 3500K) . And the neck pickup was amazing. Any idea what they come stock with? Maybe that'd work in the SG.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please try a set of Seths or Antiquities.
    John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't like the PGn? Wow...I think it sounds great in my Standard. I thought it was "articulate" for a neck pickup.... not "brittle".

I just got a C5 in, I'm putting in the bridge tomorrow!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by big_black
    You don't like the PGn? Wow...I think it sounds great in my Standard. I thought it was "articulate" for a neck pickup.... not "brittle".

I just got a C5 in, I'm putting in the bridge tomorrow!
    I know people love the PGN, but this is the 2nd time I've used it in my SG and I'm just not digging it. It doesn't have any warmth to it. I still have a '59 neck so I may pop that back in. It's funny, I'm listening to this great bootleg of AC/DC in London back in the 70's and Angus' tone is so sweet. Not overly distorted, very articulate and warm, and ballsy. Lew has said that closest you can get to vintage Angus is a '59 combo, so that may be calling again.
    In any case let me know how the C5 works out for you. I did have CC in the bridge at one point so I'm wondering how similar they will be.

Lastly, as for the Seths or Antiquities...they seem very appelaing due to their vintage vibe, but I've been warned about putting A2 pups in a thin-bodied mahogany, middy guitar like the SG. One thing I want to avoid at all costs is a thin-sounding gtr!

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wrong forum.

I'd try the set of 59s though.
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know what you mean about the PGn. I wouldn't try a Seth -- I had to put an A5 magnet in mine to keep it from sounding muffled in my SG (that's with 500k pots). I would try either an Alnico Pro 2 or a Jazz neck.
    This machine kills fascists

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymangia
    Can you describe the Burstbucker tone-wise?

I was actually in GC tonight and played a '59 RI in tobacco burst. Beautiful guitar, seemed lighter and much more manageable than most other LP's I've played (better be for 3500K) . And the neck pickup was amazing. Any idea what they come stock with? Maybe that'd work in the SG.
    It's an A2 mag uneven wind paf. IME, the best production one out there. It's got the raunch, honk, and bite of an old PAF, without the extreme sizzle of a Pearly Gates and the "politeness" of Seths. To me Burstbuckers are more authentic. Old PAFs IME are just not nearly as clear and well defined as Duncans or DiMarzios take on PAFs. They have a little "mud" to them. The BBs (A2 versions) emulate this quite well.

The R9 has a BB1 neck, and BB2 bridge pup, as do R7s, R8s, R0s, etc.

I have a clip up on my soundclick of my old R8, not the best recording quality, but link Towards the middle is some lower gain (JTM 45/Bassman) stuff.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angus allways use stock pu`s,he thinks that the ones that comes with the guitars is the most balanced for them I also like the sound of his guitar from the 70`s. Back then he used a 67-68 sg standard most of the time.Some of the pu covers was removed.
    I had a sg standard 69 and can say that the antiqutys and seth lover models are the ones that sound most simular.IMO
    I think his tone is more about the amps, playing style and settings.
    If you have a completly different playing style some other pus might be the ones that nails it for you.

Evan G
    Last edited by Voxman; 06-02-2006 at 06:52 AM.