Thread: 80's Distortion vs. 80's JB Dimensions

Hybrid View

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question 80's Distortion vs. 80's JB Dimensions

Odd question I know but, this is one of those things that keeps me awake at night since I've stumbled upon the SD forum.

My Stratocaster was once routed for a JB that I purchased in 1985. Forgive me Seymour but I do not believe the JB Jr. was in the catalog back then; nor have I ever held you accountable for my impatience. In 1986 I switched the JB to a Distortion and distinctly remember having to "Dremel" out a little more wood in that Strat for the legs/tabs of the Distortion. I keep stumbling upon these posts claiming the JB and DD are the same coils with only different mags. I really want to believe this but I would swear my DD had "taller" coils than the JB and therefore required a lower setting in my Strat for the appropriate pup-string height.

So, have the JB and DD always had the same coils? Or did the F spaced pups have shorter legs than the regular pups (I ask this as the DD referenced lives comfortably in my Epi GT today) and I just had a TB-4 vs. an SH-6?

As always, I appreciate any wisdom that you SD gurus may impart to me!
    "The truth is that I have preserved my sanity, and, I sometimes think, my life, by not getting enmeshed in the turbulent world of rockaboogie music." - John Peel

Seymour Duncans in use -
    Bullet: P-Rails(b)/stock(m)/Vintage Stack Tele(n)
    Delmar: Mag Mic
    Les Pauls: Duncan Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Duncan Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), 59(b)/59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n)
    Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 80's Distortion vs. 80's JB Dimensions

The coils are the same. The DD has a thicker-than-normal ceramic magnet. Thats what makes it taller.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That makes sense! I hadn't considered the magnets being different sizes.

That's why you are the gurus! Thanks Artie!!!
    "The truth is that I have preserved my sanity, and, I sometimes think, my life, by not getting enmeshed in the turbulent world of rockaboogie music." - John Peel

Seymour Duncans in use -
    Les Pauls: Duncan Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Duncan Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), 59(b)/59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n)

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same thing with a strat i had but with single coils.. it was rear routed and Alnico Strat magent pickups fit the routes..... if i wanted to use Ceramic pickups i would of had to rout deaper.....

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPaul
    In 1986 I switched the JB to a Distortion and distinctly remember having to "Dremel" out a little more wood in that Strat for the legs/tabs of the Distortion.
    It was a very tight fit getting the Distortion Mayhem set in my Charvel 750XL. I had to bend the tabs "inward" just a tad to get them to fit.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DonP
    It was a very tight fit getting the Distortion Mayhem set in my Charvel 750XL. I had to bend the tabs "inward" just a tad to get them to fit.
    I'll have to check the next time I'm stringing that Strat but I'm remembering my DD tabs still fit the width of the JB rout, I just had to remove two "tab" shaped spots of wood at the bottom, or towards the back of the guitar, to get the DD to sit low enough.

Seymour Duncans in use -