Thread: I have a single humbucker guitar, going to install another pickup, need thoughts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I have a single humbucker guitar, going to install another pickup, need thoughts.

I have a single humbucker Strat (JB) and I'm thinking of finally installing another pup or two.

I'm not sure if I want to go H/H, H/S/H, or S/S/H. I already have a Les Paul and a Fat Strat, but I'm thinking of going Jazz/JB. I don't want H/H/H, it's just not my bag.

Is it worth putting a single in the middle position on a Strat?

I already have a Fat Strat, but what singles would go well with a JB?

Also, what would happen if I tilted the bridge and/or neck pups?
    If you can't play good, play loud.

Sh*t
    Les Paul -> Cantrell Wah -> Mesa Mark V -> Recto 4x12

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I have a single humbucker guitar, going to install another pickup, need thoughts.

i like the middle position, but for some reason most people dont.
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Lewguitar

Default Re: I have a single humbucker guitar, going to install another pickup, need thoughts.

If you love your guitar as is, and you install a real Strat pickup, the tone of your bridge humbucking pickup will change slightly. That's because the magnetic polepieces in real Strat pickups pull on the strings more than humbuckers do. It's also why Esquires sound better to some people than Telecasters: no neck pickup lets the strings vibrate more freely, IMO. Lew

Here's to what Ale's ya! Arkitkt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I play an HSH bastard strat with a JB, SSL-2 and Jazz (with individual 3-way switches). The possibilities are endless and the split JB with the SSL-2 sounds great (to my ears anyway). Even by itself the single coil sounds great, too.

Don't know about the tilted PU, I just hate the look of a tilted humbucker.

Hope that helps a little.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    If you love your guitar as is, and you install a real Strat pickup, the tone of your bridge humbucking pickup will change slightly. That's because the magnetic polepieces in real Strat pickups pull on the strings more than humbuckers do. It's also why Esquires sound better to some people than Telecasters: no neck pickup lets the strings vibrate more freely, IMO. Lew
    I like the tone, but not the lack of options. I'd really like a neck pickup to help with the clean tone (not big on bridge cleans). I'll probably go Jazz/JB, but I'm not completly decided.

Sh*t

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkitkt
    Don't know about the tilted PU, I just hate the look of a tilted humbucker.
    Thanks for the input.

If you saw this guitar, a tilted humbucker would probably be only one of the things you hated on it (pics in sig, see black Strat).

I was actually thinking about tilting the bridge just for the fun of it.....

Sh*t