Thread: pickup adjustment help

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pickup adjustment help

i just put in some new pups tonight, and its my first time to do it. i put a vintage stack in the neck and an alnico II pro in the bridge. is there any kind of rule of thumb for how much space you need from your strings to the top of hte pup? my bridge pup is louder so i lowered it and its still louder than the neck. i just want to make sure im getting all i can out of them. maybe my neck pup is too low/ im not sure, but i would greatly appreciate some advice from you seasoned veterans out there. thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: pickup adjustment help

Quote Originally Posted by skyking
    i just put in some new pups tonight, and its my first time to do it. i put a vintage stack in the neck and an alnico II pro in the bridge. is there any kind of rule of thumb for how much space you need from your strings to the top of hte pup? my bridge pup is louder so i lowered it and its still louder than the neck. i just want to make sure im getting all i can out of them. maybe my neck pup is too low/ im not sure, but i would greatly appreciate some advice from you seasoned veterans out there. thanks.
    bridge pickups are usually a little louder then the neck, with the neck pickup being the rythmn pickup and the bridge being the lead. the height you set it out all depends on the sound you want. the sound will be more full and responsive if the magents are closer to the strings. if you cant get the neck loud enough from raising the whole pickup, then perhaps the match just isnt it, because vintage pups are lower output to begin with, and when you have the neck version of a vintage compared to a regular bridge model, the levels will be further apart.
    Gibson 76' Reissue Explorer
    99' Korina Explorer- GFS modded
    2007 Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe
    TC Electronics D-Two
    TC Electronics G Major
    DMC Ground Control Pro+GCX Audio Switcher
    Boss SD1
    Ibanez TS9
    Monte Allums modded Boss SD1
    MXR Micro Amp

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by modophoto
    bridge pickups are usually a little louder then the neck, with the neck pickup being the rythmn pickup and the bridge being the lead. the height you set it out all depends on the sound you want. the sound will be more full and responsive if the magents are closer to the strings. if you cant get the neck loud enough from raising the whole pickup, then perhaps the match just isnt it, because vintage pups are lower output to begin with, and when you have the neck version of a vintage compared to a regular bridge model, the levels will be further apart.
    What kind of pickups are we talking about, single coils or humbuckers?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratsky
    What kind of pickups are we talking about, single coils or humbuckers?
    vintage stack and alnico pro II....soudns to me like single coils
    Gibson 76' Reissue Explorer
    99' Korina Explorer- GFS modded
    2007 Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe
    TC Electronics D-Two
    TC Electronics G Major
    DMC Ground Control Pro+GCX Audio Switcher
    Boss SD1
    Ibanez TS9
    Monte Allums modded Boss SD1
    MXR Micro Amp

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the vintage stack is hum cancelling and the alnico II pro is single coil. i put them in my tele.