Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why do I like mexican strat pups?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: why do I like mexican strat pups?

I'm pretty happy with my MIM tele, pups, but I can't help myself, so I'll probably experiment with others sometime.
    Kill the body and the head will die

Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G&Legacy
    So I was in my local music store. I tried an eric johnson strat, an american deluxe strat and a mexican strat. My buddy also has a mexican strat. I liked the sound of the mexican strat the most. it sounded better with distortion and just had more of a unique sound. I really like the sound of my buddys strat too, just not a fan of the necks. What is it about the stock mexican pickups that I like so much? Can you buy them?
    Tex Mex pickups. I had such bad GAS for them when I was first playing. I say get the mexi, then either use it like it is or upgrade the coils (you'd probably prefer the single "hot" pickups I think, not sure).
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

The only Mexican Strats that comes stock with Tex-Mex pickups are the Jimmy Vaughan and the 60th Anniversary MIM Standard. Non-Anniversary MIM Strats don't come with them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat
    I have played $1200 Strats, though. Again, they still need a pup swap.
    Soo true. I'm going to give these Tex-Mex pups a chance, though. I've heard a lot of praise for them.
    It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G&Legacy
    So I was in my local music store. I tried an eric johnson strat, an american deluxe strat and a mexican strat. My buddy also has a mexican strat. I liked the sound of the mexican strat the most. it sounded better with distortion and just had more of a unique sound. I really like the sound of my buddys strat too, just not a fan of the necks. What is it about the stock mexican pickups that I like so much? Can you buy them?
    Frankly I am not a huge fan of the fender stock american pickups either, and while some of the mexican pickups I have played sounded OK (Tele and Toronado) both were greatly improved when I moved to SD's.

Curious... You have said that you have play the american and EJ and Mexican... Have you played any strats with SD pickups in them? I don't think many agree with me but my favorites (bearing in mind I have NOT tried any of the Antiquities) are the SSL-1's in all positions. Sounds like a dream.
    Jim Dier

Sell me your 2002 MIA Fender Telecaster

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you think my Mexi strat will sound better next week, with my Blues Specials Fralins Harness from Acme guitar works installed?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It definitely shouldn't hurt anything!
    It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Curious... You have said that you have play the american and EJ and Mexican... Have you played any strats with SD pickups in them? I don't think many agree with me but my favorites (bearing in mind I have NOT tried any of the Antiquities) are the SSL-1's in all positions. Sounds like a dream.[/QUOTE]

I have played the mexican Ash strat that comes stock with SDs. And I did sound very good. Just a smidge too twangy for me.

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hear i am thinking i'm the only odd ball that liked the sound of MIM Strat standard ceremic pickups... I find they have some pep to them and feel slightly more alive then some strat pickups....

if Ceremic Magnets are good for Jeff Beck then there must be something to the tone of them.... But mind your the quality of JB's gear is miles above any MIM product... but the point is some of us like Ceremic Strat Pickups.

I own a 1996 MIM Tex Mex strat with alnico tex/mex pickups.... i don't like that guitar at all...

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if it is the Ceramic magnets I like, what are the other kinds of pickups with ceramic mags. I would be putting them into a much better made guitar then a MIM Strat.