Thread: Ahhhh....Office Life

Skarekrough

Default Ahhhh....Office Life

Now, I'm not a neat-freak. Far from it. My desk is littered with a bunch of things that, if I thought about it, probably wouldn't be there. From a tin of caffeinated mints to a few guitar picks and an empty coffee mug displaying a prominent cigar makers logo on it (clean mug though).....everything does not always have a place and everything is not always in it.

A few days ago we started getting fruit flies. This has happened before. Each time everyone take notice, silently, a cleans up their act. Rather than leave the banana and apple I bring for my lunch everyday out, they go in the 'fridge. My coffee mugs get washed out shortly after use and we all usually make a concerted, although silent, effort to keep the place clean.

Last night someone left a pizza out....well, that's not totally accurate....half a pizza was left out. And today were dealing with more flies than I like to think about. I wasn't one of the two consumers of the pizza, nor was I the last person to leave and would, thusly, throw it out....and nor was I the person whose ultimate solution to the problem sometime this morning was to transfer it from the table to the trash barrel, three feet away.

I'm not the kind of guy that uses the word "revolting" or the phrase "clean up your own ****" but somehow both have been on the tip of my tongue all day.

During prep work to ship a server I think I inadvertently killed 6 flies in the machine....and now they're on their way to the U.K.

Sorry...just venting.

stonabus

Default Re: Ahhhh....Office Life

ok, now get back to work. :smile:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL, I feel for you..

I know what WIll make your day: knowing it can be MUCH, MUCH worse....

When I was woking in the RMA department of Pyramid, we got a PC back from a customer with the error description "PC Stinks"... I first laughed like crazy, then I opened the box and almost gagged.

After opening the case, I found the (thank god still bagged) Liverwurst sandwich that one of the QA guys had been missing about 4 weeks prior and had gone on a rant about.

The only thing I can imagine is that he somehow pushed it in there by accident while putting the side panel back on.

Needless to say, he was NOT happy to know where his sandwich had been all this time, nor be reunited with it. But I had a blast giving it back to him

And yes, Food was banned on the ´Floor from that day on, as were beverages in non resealable containers as a provisional measure
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a problem with working in a small office - there are no policies on food etc.

One place I worked, we had to write our names on ANY food we brought. There was a roll of masking tape and a sharpie attached to the fridge. The boss or his wife would do a check of the fridge and the office before they left for the day, and any food without a name was thrown out immediately - no questions asked or warning given. If someone left anything for too long and it started to go bad ... well, their name was on it, so the responsibility to clean it up was pretty clear. It took everyone a week or so to adapt to this new policy, but after that the office was very clean.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I clean my desk every two months or so. Its really organized chaos, it may be a mess, but I know where everything is at.

One of my old coworkers had a lab book full of commands we used for old HPUX systems. He was out of the office on a Friday and I needed to manually remount a few NFS mounts. I called him to ask him where the book was, and he said look in the third pile to the left of his keyboard, and it should be about half way down in that pile. Sure enough, it was there.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus
    LOL, I feel for you..

I know what WIll make your day: knowing it can be MUCH, MUCH worse....

When I was woking in the RMA department of Pyramid, we got a PC back from a customer with the error description "PC Stinks"... I first laughed like crazy, then I opened the box and almost gagged.

After opening the case, I found the (thank god still bagged) Liverwurst sandwich that one of the QA guys had been missing about 4 weeks prior and had gone on a rant about.

The only thing I can imagine is that he somehow pushed it in there by accident while putting the side panel back on.

Needless to say, he was NOT happy to know where his sandwich had been all this time, nor be reunited with it. But I had a blast giving it back to him

And yes, Food was banned on the ´Floor from that day on, as were beverages in non resealable containers as a provisional measure

Great story!

AHAHAH! Cubicle life... Anytime I put fish and chips in the microwave, the gal next to me could smell it and complain - even if she was 70 feet away! One day, she put popcorn in the micro, and it totally burned. All you could smell was burned popcorn; needless to say, the execs were complaining about it all day and the next - the kitchen sure did smell bad. I make sure to only throw away paper and maybe wrappers from junk food in my trash can at my cubicle; I think gals have a super heightened sense of smell, and double down on cleanliness which can get one into the naughty side of the secret gossip circle.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lpmarshall
    ....he said look in the third pile to the left of his keyboard, and it should be about half way down in that pile. Sure enough, it was there.

Oh man...that sounds so much like me...

"Ken, could you loan your calc book for a few?"
    "Yeah...hold on...(scans room)....here it is"
    ".....That was under 2 feet of lecture notes."
    "Yeah...that's where I keep it."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an extremely annoying coworker who sits next to me (its actually two wide open cubicles, so I sit by 4 people) who likes to cook salmon every afternoon in the microwave. I have to leave for a smoke because it smells so bad.

The worst was at my old job. I worked with mostly Chinese coworkers. This one person would bring in fishheads and rice, or something awful that would stink up the entire office. I would literally gag everytime he made it. God that was disgusting.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Great_Kazoo's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing
    One place I worked, we had to write our names on ANY food we brought. There was a roll of masking tape and a sharpie attached to the fridge. The boss or his wife would do a check of the fridge and the office before they left for the day, and any food without a name was thrown out immediately - no questions asked or warning given. If someone left anything for too long and it started to go bad ... well, their name was on it, so the responsibility to clean it up was pretty clear. It took everyone a week or so to adapt to this new policy, but after that the office was very clean.
    That's a great policy--never tried using that one before, but I will in
    the future! At the last office I worked at, the only stated policy in the
    company policy manual was that they requested no one use the microwave
    oven for heating fish. Of course, every so often someone would--and totally
    funk up the office!

I think the only time there was an "official" cleanup of the company
    refrigerators was the day before an extended break (i.e. a week off for the
    holidays, 4/5 day weekends, etc.)--and one of the editors would go through
    some bags and Tupperware™ containers that were full of gray and green mold
    and reeked so badly, they had to be taken to the outside dumpsters
    immediately! Not sure why the owners never claimed their stuff earlier...