Thread: Wiring choices for a Nashville Telecaster?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wiring choices for a Nashville Telecaster?

I've recently gotten hooked on a 3-pickup (tele/strat/tele) G&L ASAT Classic at the local guitar shop, but I'd rather have humcancelling pickups and, in particular, am interested in a firebird pickup for the neck. I really don't want to buy the guitar and immediately change out the pickups, re-route it, re-wire it, etc. So, I'm thinking about a similar "Nashville Telecaster" type project guitar.

The pickup choices would be an SM-1N mini humbucker neck, Strat Stack Plus middle and Tele Lead Stack bridge. All pickups would be wired for humcancelling, no plans to split coils, no plans to wire out-of-phase, etc.

There are seven possible pickup combinations:
    1. neck
    2. neck + middle
    3. neck + bridge
    4. neck + middle + bridge
    5. middle
    6. middle + bridge
    7. bridge

I know I want combinations 1, 3, 6 and 7. Using a 5-position super switch I get one more choice. What should it be? I'm thinking 4 or 5.

Of course, I could use a 5-position super switch and a 4PDT on-on-on switch and get all 7 combinations. Are the additional sounds worth the additional wiring complexity?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Default Re: Wiring choices for a Nashville Telecaster?

with a regular 5 way and a push/pull pot (or a mini toggle) you could get all 7 combinations by doing the 'add bridge anytime' mod ... that's probably the easiest to manage in a live situation

good luck - have fun
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    with a regular 5 way and a push/pull pot (or a mini toggle) you could get all 7 combinations by doing the 'add bridge anytime' mod ... that's probably the easiest to manage in a live situation

good luck - have fun
    t4d
    Thanks, I was thinking that the middle position would be the only position where the miniswitch would come into play so that position could be "middle" or "all" or "neck & bridge".

It certainly seems easier to wire the "add bridge anytime". I assume that this mode that means the bridge is added to the "neck", "neck and middle" and "middle" positions, by having the bridge pickup bypass the 5-way switch.

G&L has a similar mod on the Comanche, with the "expander switch" which jumpers the neck and bridge together in parallel, which makes the 1 & 5 positions "neck and bridge" and makes the 2 & 4 positions "all". 3 position stays "middle only".

I'm trying to convince myself, which of these would be easier to manage.

I've never been a strat player, so I'm coming at the sound possibilities for this wiring/pickup combination in a round-about way. I've started thinking about this setup mainly because I loved the "middle-bridge" quack I was getting on the ASAT. The "neck-middle" was probably my least favorite combination.

So, for a typical nashville setup, are all seven combinations equally usable? Are any of these combinations much less usable than the others? Since I'm thinking about using a firebird neck pickup instead of a tele neck, I'm guessing that the "neck and middle" position may not be that useful.

Also, would a middle and bridge in series selection be useful?

sorry, havent tried these, so i cant give useful first hand info ...

i do know that on my tele, the neck + bridge series combo is very useful (i use the duncan vintage stack for tele set) ...

and i love the neck + middle combo (sultans, baby!), so we might just have different tastes ...

i think i'd just go ahead and wire it up and see how i like it ... if you don't dig the extra combos, or if they are a bear to switch around in a live setting, you can see about wiring without them

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you could do a blend knob for the center pickup "ala brent mason"
    using a 3way switch and a 250k pot for center pickup wire directly to output jack.