Thread: Gibson L6-S with Bill Lawerance pups

Hybrid View

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gibson L6-S with Bill Lawerance pups

I just bought this axe off eBay and won't see it until end of the week. Meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone here has played one of these before, and what did you think?
    I usually don't buy a guitar I can't pick up and play first, but doubt I'd ever see an oppertunity to touch one of these if it weren't for places like eBay. This is a mint shape 1974 Gibson L6-S. What is unique mainly are the pickups. You are suppose to get enough sound variations to equal a Les Paul, SG, Strat and a Tele.

Who here does not like guitar photos...right? So I won't keep you waiting any longer.

I really needed to relieve some GAS. (gear aquisition syndrome) I was 22 years old when this baby was brand new. I really dig these old classics...and gotta say...this one is exciting me...and I haven't even kissed it yet. I kinda like shapely blonde's.

A bit more about her. She is 24.75 scale with 24 frets. Has the LP shape, but thinner and wider, and all maple neck, fingerboard, and body. Nickel Grovers, and the Nashville bridge and tailpiece. Master volume, Mid-range, Master Tone...and the 6-position VariTone switch for those Bill Lawerance pups.
    1. neck & bridge series in phase
    2. neck alone
    3. neck & bridge parallel in phase
    4. neck & bridge parallel out of phase
    5. bridge alone
    6. neck & bridge series out of phase

I think this was stored under a bed for the last 30 years. Anyway...I heard about these pups...this should be interesting. Are these Lawerance pups or something like these still being used?
    Last edited by Capt.Crunch; 08-26-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gibson L6-S with Bill Lawerance pups

My friend has one, I have never played it though. I would expect it to be as bright as it is ugly.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by big_black View Post
    My friend has one, I have never played it though. I would expect it to be as bright as it is ugly.
    Here we go again......Maple is not an overly bright wood.

Or you are saying it isnt all that ugly????

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an L6-S for a while...I never cared for those pickups to be honest but Santana used an L6-S for a while and sounded ok with it. I am stunned at how much those guitars are going for these days...I bought mine in 95 or 96 for $300 I think it was. I only kept it about 6 months before selling it and it was very hard to find someone that would give me $300 out of it...now they go for $1000-1300 depending on finish and cndition.
    Proudly Klon free!

Ultimate Tone Slacker larry_emder's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow.....looks awesome. how much?