Thread: pups for a hollow body strat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pups for a hollow body strat

could i have some suggestions for hollow body strat pups -- ordered the body from warmoth -- chambered swamp ash body, flame maple top -- for the playing of the blues -- thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: pups for a hollow body strat

I think this is where you can go overwound for a fat, rude sound that still retains some good top end bark from the hollow construction. So something like tapped Custom Staggereds N/B with a more vintage middle, like the A2Pro or Vintage Staggered. Then with a tap switch you could go from "fat'n'blasty"
    on the outsides to a more traditional combo with the flip of a switch.

You could also try a set of the Classic Stack Plus models, for a noiseless set that would give you a great vintage pickup sound, while still allowing the punch of the hollowed body to come through. And you can put coil cuts on those, too, for a total vintage sound.

If it were me, I'd load it with P90's, or something off the wall like that. Perhaps a P90 N/B with a regular middle single. Then I'd wire the switching to allow the neck and bridge to be used together as well. G&L's ASAT pickups would be great for that, as would Duncan SP90-1's.

Speaking of G&L, their S500 pickups make great semi-hollow strat pickups too, although they're more agressive in the mids, which some interperet as a loss of vintage clarity. That's all I've got for now!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wow -- P-90s???? i hadn't thought of that and now i'm intrigued -- that really would be hot -- the comfort of a strat body with fat p-90 sound -- and i like how soap bars look anyway -- very interesting take on the whole thing -- thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the Warmoth Chambered Strat. Antiquity Surfers. Great.