Thread: Bridge humbucker in Stratocaster

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Bridge humbucker in Stratocaster

Hello!
    I have a nice vintage 1978 Stratocaster,Lite ash,maple neck,hard tail.
    It has nice hand wound Lollar pickups (uh,men) and SD Little 59' in bridge position.
    After lot of thinking/listening I realized I could never have real humbucking sound without true humbucker.
    I have real 59' installed in Les Paul, and although it is different guitar, string definition and richness is far better than Little 59'.I still think little 59' is great concept, but not the real thing..
    So,I have to dig on my vintage strat to make a hole in bridge position....
    If I do that,I must be sure I'll get much better sound then with single-coiled humbucker.
    I could go on trying different pups,maybe even Dimarzio pro-track,but Little 59 has specs. I want

So..
    What is the recommended humbucker pickup for bridge position,maple/lite ash strat.

I play mostly hard rock, with higher gained solos and riffs aka Slash,Gary Moore, Kirk Hammet,Van Halen, Satriani...
    (check http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=87306 for more)
    It must have great string definition on higher gain,rich sound with vintage warmth and growl, screaming solos, defined rhythm chords on lower strings.

[B]So,any suggestion/experience will help, I must be sure should I dig a hole in my trusty Strat??!![/B]

THNX

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bridge humbucker in Stratocaster

Oh,yeah,I did install CTS 500k pot and orange drop
    (0.22mf) capacitor..

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't do it. Even though it's a late 70's, the value will still go up. I can guarantee you'll regret it. Buy another body with the routing you want and swap the neck and parts over.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd think twice before routing out you old Strat. Even the '78s are climbing in value.

Routing it out, no matter how well done, will de-value it.

http://www.williesguitars.com/index....il&prodID=1474

http://www.williesguitars.com/index....il&prodID=1489

http://www.williesguitars.com/index....il&prodID=1491

Dirt
    Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blah..is the sound I get from Little 59' the best there is?
    ..if you listen to video clip provided from my link above, you can hear some serious humbucker sound from original 59'.
    I know it's Les Paul,but my Fender is far more better guitar than this LP I played,from woods to finish and playing feel-trust me,I know,it's not problem in a guitar!!
    I tried Hot rails before,ditched it in a minute(muddy),and was recommended by SD technician to Little 59' against JB junior..

....and still can't get humbucker tone from single-coiled humbucker.
    Is there any other solutions,maybe to try with DiMArzio Pro-track,or what?I'm not comfortable with digging hole in this vintage Strat!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The real 59 sounds very cool in a strat bridge. It sounds more complex than the little 59.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look into the Pro-track, and I believe the Fast Track 1 and 2. I had a thread that I started recently re: Little humbuckers and their full size counterparts. They all seemed to share the same opinion as you.

One response was that the coils are not as spread a part, which sounded the most logical.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Little 59 doesn't "see" as much string as the real 59, hence the tonal difference. If I were in your position, I'd get a nice ash body from Warmoth, transfer the neck and hardware to the new body, and install a PATB-3 Blues in the bridge.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Prolik View Post
    Hello!
    I have a nice vintage 1978 Stratocaster,Lite ash,maple neck,hard tail.
    It has nice hand wound Lollar pickups (uh,men) and SD Little 59' in bridge position.
    After lot of thinking/listening I realized I could never have real humbucking sound without true humbucker.
    I have real 59' installed in Les Paul, and although it is different guitar, string definition and richness is far better than Little 59'.I still think little 59' is great concept, but not the real thing..
    So,I have to dig on my vintage strat to make a hole in bridge position....
    If I do that,I must be sure I'll get much better sound then with single-coiled humbucker.
    I could go on trying different pups,maybe even Dimarzio pro-track,but Little 59 has specs. I want

So..
    What is the recommended humbucker pickup for bridge position,maple/lite ash strat.

I play mostly hard rock, with higher gained solos and riffs aka Slash,Gary Moore, Kirk Hammet,Van Halen, Satriani...
    (check http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=87306 for more)
    It must have great string definition on higher gain,rich sound with vintage warmth and growl, screaming solos, defined rhythm chords on lower strings.

[B]So,any suggestion/experience will help, I must be sure should I dig a hole in my trusty Strat??!![/B]

THNX
    Lite Ash? Definitely the Custom Custom (in my opinion) because it's an Alnico II humbucker, and can do metal when properly EQ'd (refer to SevenDust). However, the Custom Five and Custom are options. Me, I'd trust the Tone Wizard on this one. The CC will sound vintage, but hard enough to do hard rock and some metal, but it's not got a tight bottom end, or at least as tight as you probably will want. The JB is also an option, but on a bright guitar it will sound overly bright (it's designed for a warm or balanced guitar).
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could always grab a beefier single like a Twangbanger, Quarter pounder or one of the hotter ssl's and a SD pickup Booster and have the best of both worlds.

Ultimate Tone Slacker sufferinrewind's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Original '78 Strat? I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. Those things will be valuable.

I'd recommend getting one with similar specs that's already routed for a bridge humbucker.

Just my $.02.

Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: Bridge humbucker in Stratocaster

Quote Originally Posted by sufferinrewind View Post
    Original '78 Strat? I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. Those things will be valuable.

I'd recommend getting one with similar specs that's already routed for a bridge humbucker.

Just my $.02.
    +1

Didn't notice it was a '78. If anything, I'd get something from SD that is correct for the instrument, or ship the pickups in for a "dunaged" match-up. However, it's a '78: if it works fine, I wouldn't mess with it -- it's a classic!
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well,I think I won't dig a hole in my guitar after all,I'll try Dimarzio Pro-track maybe...
    I tried different single-coils in bridge position,and as much as I love that Texas sound,it just can't do my Gary Moore runs..
    The real problem in Little 59' is not it's sound,which is very authentic;it is lack of real string definition,and maybe a bit of sustain.
    From my other guitars/experience, I believe that Dimarzio has some better string definition at high gain.Not much vintage warmth, and a bit sterile, but does provide impressive modern high gain sounds.
    It's too bad that there are no clips available around as much of SD pups.
    Maybe Dimarzio, maybe USA Bill Lawrence L-250 pickup?
    I'm just tired of buying pups and mounting/trying each one....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You'll have to find a matching output power of all options yourself, but here are a few options for a single humbucker for bridge, knowing you already have the Little 59:
    S Duncan: Cool Rails, STK-S4, Hot Rails
    Dimarzio: Chopper, Virtual2, VV Solo, VV Blues, V Hot Tele
    Bill Lawrence: L290
    Kinman: AVN-69b
    Fender: Silver Lace, Blue Lace, Hot Noiseless

GOOD LUCK! Finding a perfect choice humbucking bridge single-coil sized pickup is the toughest challenge in all of Pickupland, without a doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe start with the reviews on the Cool Rails, VV Solo, Fender Silver Lace and Kinman to know what you're limitations are, and spread out from there. Remember to consider options on pots, capacitors, adjusting the pickup distance from the strings, the woods and what sound limitations you're willing to work with. No single guitar will do everything, but 75% ain't bad!

I'm working over the same problem and haven't yet decided. I'm pouring over hundreds of reviews all over the Internet. I'll be matching something to a Jazz in the neck on a bright guitar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The answere is YES,you`ll get a better HB sound with regular sized buckers !
    There`s no doubt about it !!!!!!!

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i say do what you want. put a HB in that bridge position. i think all you need is a pickguard that will allow you to mount one. perhaps the highway 1. i love the HSS configuration. i'm getting a SD A2P installed in the bridge position of my pacifica...which is a strat copy. i used to have a dimazrio PAF pro there but it fried on me after 13 years of service.