Thread: Charvel/Jackson J50 BC

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Charvel/Jackson J50 BC

I'm seeing a lot of threads on here about old Charvels. Many of these look exactly like my Charvette, with the s/s/h pickup config and one vol, one tone and a 5-way switch. The vol on these is lined up smack dab in the middle and 1.5" south (as the guitar is in playing position) of the bridge pickup. Kinda in the way, IMO.

This is the humbucker that comes with my Charvette, and I'm guessing that it's on some of these old Charvels. It's made by Jackson. Mine measures just over 8k resistance.

What do you guys think of this pickup?
    -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
    -Fargen Olde 800, Fryette Sig:X, Bogner os2x12

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Charvel/Jackson J50 BC

Tje Charvette pickups were generally crap. The Charvettes were the cheap Japanese alternative to a Model or Toothpaste series, and many had plywood bodies.

The Jackson USA pickups found on Model series guitars all the way through to the early Professionals and USA Selects are wound differently and by different people.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zerb said it all but IIRC there were some even cheaper bottom of the barrel Charvettes that were made in Korea before there were actual "cough cough" quality manufactured guitars from Korea like there is now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nope. The Korean plant wasn´t opened until ´95, a good 5 years after the last CHarvette was made

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was under the impression that the J50 BC was a common Jackson pickup, from what little I've read online.
    I like my Charvette. It is very comparable to most of the Charvels that I've played. The necks and the bodies look and feel the same. In many cases I prefer my Charvette to Charvels I played. Of course, not all Charvels were top of the line stuff, and I have no idea if what I've played is.
    -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
    -Fargen Olde 800, Fryette Sig:X, Bogner os2x12

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NT02 View Post
    I was under the impression that the J50 BC was a common Jackson pickup, from what little I've read online.
    It was, but only for the Charvel Model Series, Toothpaste series, Jackson Pro Series and of course the Early Ontario USA guitars.

But the Charvette series were some of the lowest end guitars jackson ever offered, most having plywood bodies and cheapo hardware. But some like the 250(?) had the JT-6 trem and solid basswood bodies, but even these still had the cheap early Charvel-Japan wound pickups.

I was very happy with my 250 until I sold it, but it would get annihilated by every guitar I own today, both tonally and from a playability standpoint.... even with other pickups