Thread: What pickups did he use?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What pickups did he use?

Hi im new to forums and i have a few questons i hope you could answer... i have been playing guitar for a while and its time for me to upgrade. i really like grunge music and nirvana. i was wondering whay pick ups kurt cobain used.. i know he has played alot of guitars and had differant set ups but he had a guitar called the ferrington guitar and he said it was his favorite i thought they were some seymour duncan kind but i dont know much about them, thanks for the help

Bryan

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What pickups did he use?

I pretty sure the Fenders that he used humbuckers on, he was using a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker. I don't know what he used for neck pickups, I think he mostly used single coil neck pickups.

I'm not sure what he used when he switched to Mosrite guitars, I don't know what kind of pickups Mosrite used.
    CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
    2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (SD PG set)
    Jet City JCA100H
    Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks
    lots 'o pedals

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum
    CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
    2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (SD PG set)
    Jet City JCA100H
    Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks
    lots 'o pedals

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the info, is there a specific name or is it just called Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker? and would a full size humbucker fit in a stratocaster or a mustang?

Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Bryan. Welcome to the forum!

The Syemour Duncan JB humbucker's model number is SH-4, but it's more commonly known simply as a "JB." It's an extremely popular humbucker. I've got one in my Les Paul and love it.

In order to put a full-size humbucker, such as the JB, in a single-coil space, you'll need to have your guitar's body routed to approximately double thickness. The JB is really two single-coils wrapped side-by-side. Some Stratocaster bodies are routed to fit a humbucker in the bridge position, but that's not the standard. The standard Fender Mustang has two single coil pickups, so you'd need to have that routed for a humbucker fitting, too.

One option is to check out Warmoth Direct and see what they've got in stock for you to build your own. They sell Mustang bodies and other goodies to get you started. If you go this direction, you can have a fully-cusomized Mustang-type axe that you can be proud of. If price is an issue, just buy the pieces as you can afford them.

Hope this helps.

- Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot