Thread: resistor questions

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default resistor questions

I'm knocking a 500k vol pot to a 250 with 2 1meg resistors in parallel between the input lug and ground. Is it ok to put the two resistors between the pup and pot instead?

ie- Solder one end of the 2 resistors to the end of the pup hot and then solder the other end of the 2 resistors to the vol pot input.
    Last edited by Fritz6; 11-11-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: resistor questions

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz6 View Post
    I'm knocking a 500k vol pot to a 250 with 2 1meg resistors in parallel between the input lug and ground. Is it ok to put the two resistors between the pup and pot instead?

ie- Solder one end of the resistors to the end of the pup hot and then wire the other end of the resistors to the vol pot input.
    The way you are currently doing it sounds like the way Fender does it on a few Teles, and the way I've done it on my Squier Fat Tele. Fender's support info is here. The American Telecaster® HS uses the common 3-way switch and its wiring diagram was the easiest for me to follow. The Hot Rodded American Fat Telecaster® and the US Fat Tele® use a 5-position Single-Wafer Superswitch (Oak Grigsby). All three of those models list a 270k resistor and 500k pots. I read a suggestion to use a 470k resistor and so that's the one I've found at Radio Shack and tried so far.

With it wired like the American HS I get the benefit in the bridge and combined positions and my neck (HB) position is unaffected.

I think your two 1M resistors in parallel is like one 500k, so that's close to the 470k like I'm using. A single 270k like Fender uses would take the effect even farther, make the bridge and combined positions sound even less trebly.

I haven't tried it, but I think putting the resistance in series as you were thinking would drop your signal output considerably, and would not be an appropriate way to wire it.