Thread: Epiphone Les Paul STD : Replacing Pots Queston

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Epiphone Les Paul STD : Replacing Pots & Pickups Queston

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, so please forgive me if these are stupid or obvious questions!

I'm planning to replace the stock pickups and pots on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard (great guitar, but muddy and dull sounding). I'm pretty much decided on the A2Pn and CCb combo, which seems to come highly recommended on these forums! (Or possibly a set of 59's, since that would be quite a bit cheaper. Any thoughts?)

My question is about replacing the pots, since this is not something which I have done before. From searching on the forum, Allparts CTS 500k pots would seem to be a good option. Would I need long shaft or short shaft (presumably split shaft) pots for a Les Paul STD?

Also, do you get different types of pots for volume and tone, or would you get 4 identical pots?

Previous posts also mention replacing the tone cap, which is something I have not heard of. What sort of benefits would this give, and would it be worthwhile? If so, any suggestions as to make/specs?

I will be grateful for any advice or suggestions on what I should be doing to get the best out of this guitar. I play mostly rock and blues through a Marshall Valvestate 100 amp. I love the GnR SLash type tone, but I'd like to keep the guitar versatile.

Many thanks for your help, and a merry christmas to you all!

Best Wishes
    Jim
    Last edited by JimmyQ; 12-24-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker tubeman87's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Epiphone Les Paul STD : Replacing Pots Queston

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/kits/lespaul.html

Check these guys out, I have one of thier strat kits and it's great, send them a email if you have any questions, they answer pretty quickly (might take longer cause of the holiday). Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!
    FOR GEARJONESER.......... I HOPE THIS ONE IS LESS OBNOXIOUS AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
    I never heard anybody say he caught anything from a fly. My cousin gave two guys the clap, and nobody ever whacked her with a newspaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    cus 14 y.o. girls get faster every year

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the forum, JimmyQ!
    Sounds like a good set of pups to replace those stock Epi's. A lot of people here have written in past threads how much they like the A2P, but I've also read (but never tried) the C-5 in the bridge of their LP's. I use the Custom in the bridge of an Epi SG I have and it sounds nice. I've had the same pup in the bridge of an Epi LP Standard like yours and it sounded fine in there, too, but I opted to replace it with a Pearly Gate for a little more of that ZZ Top sound. The C-5 is the model between the Custom and the CC, and is very popular for using with different types of music like blues and rock.
    Although you're overseas, I would strongly suggest contacting Lewguitar for your pots and possibly a few caps if he carries them. I've bought caps along with new Seymour Duncan pickups from Lew in the past and he's a great guy to deal with and get info from. Check him out.

500K CTS pots are what you need, and they're the same for both volume and tone. As far as long or short shaft, I would have to think the short shaft would be the one. In regards to capacitors, I use Vishay/Orange Drop poly-film caps in all my guitars in values ranging from .01uf to .022uf. The Epi stock caps are ceramic and cheap....it's advisable, as long as your in there soldering new pups, to go ahead and replace the caps. Mouser Electronics is a good online store to buy electronic component parts from.

Best of luck to you!

....Bob
    Fender MIA Strat/Antiquity s.c.'s,Fender MIJ 60's Strat SSL-1n/APS1m/SSL-4b,Gibson LP Studio Jazz-n/an aged 'PAF-soundin' road-worn JB,'06 Schecter Corsair semi-hollow, a couple Epi's w/SD's, tube amps by Fender (DRRI and Blues DeVille) ,Effects:Fulltone DejaVibe,Vox847 wah,TS-9, DS-1 (thanks, John S.!), C.M. Plexitone (thanks, Niels!),MXR flange,Line6 DL-4,

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I'll check out the sites which you recommended. The prices on Lew Guitars seem very reasonable, even with the overseas shipping cost. And you're right about the good service. I sent Lew an email on Christmas Eve with a few questions, and he replied on Boxing Day!

If I'm replacing the tone cap(s), how many do I need? Is it one tone cap per pot, or one per pickup, or one for the whole guitar?

Also, if I'm replacing most of the electrics, is it worth replacing the switch? If so, any suggestions for what would be a good option?

Many thanks for your help.

Best Wishes
    Jim

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A guy on the forums named Bada Bing sells wiring kits, including the best caps in existence (Hovlands), 4 CTS pots, a Switchcraft jack and 3-way switch, and braided wiring. GREAT kit. I'd highly recommend this! I put this kit, and the A2P CC combo in my Epi LP. I love it.

Here's Bada's userpage. Send him a PM.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/member.php?u=8584

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OMG!!!! It's rookie night obviously!!! (Big Al excepted)

Welcome JimmyQ!

LP's have carved tops. They need LONG shafts.

A2P/CC - That combo will be great. It will be what I describe as a monster FAT sounding LP. And the 500k pots will be good/wanted/needed on that combo.

If you want a brighter sound, PG neck is an option, or the C5/Custom for the bridge will also be brighter. A rocking alternative is the PGneck/Custom Bridge. That would have a lot more high end. You might be cautious about the A2P/CC if the guitar is dark/muddy sounding acoustically. Me, I love the PG/CC.

Lew and Bada are both known and loved out here. Tell them what you want to do and they will do you right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Epiphone LP's use short shafts. Gibson LP's use long shafts. Take one of the pots out of your guitar prior to ordering just to be sure. I know the pots in my Epi are short shaft.

For caps, go with what you can afford. There is no need to use a big 200V or 400V caps in a guitar. You can get away with small 16V-50V poly film caps just fine.

Can't go wrong with a CC/A2P set or a C5/Jazz set or a Pearly Gates set.
    Last edited by ErikH; 12-27-2006 at 09:26 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Ya know, I could've went all day without that comment. We are only trying to help the guy as best we can. You 've got my vote for class act of the day, Ace! (no exception)

Fender MIA Strat/Antiquity s.c.'s,Fender MIJ 60's Strat SSL-1n/APS1m/SSL-4b,Gibson LP Studio Jazz-n/an aged 'PAF-soundin' road-worn JB,'06 Schecter Corsair semi-hollow, a couple Epi's w/SD's, tube amps by Fender (DRRI and Blues DeVille) ,Effects:Fulltone DejaVibe,Vox847 wah,TS-9, DS-1 (thanks, John S.!), C.M. Plexitone (thanks, Niels!),MXR flange,Line6 DL-4,

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yay! Not a rookie anymore! Thanks Ace.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Epiphone LP's use short shafts. Gibson LP's use long shafts. Take one of the pots out of your guitar prior to ordering just to be sure. I know the pots in my Epi are short shaft.

For caps, go with what you can afford. There is no need to use a big 200V or 400V caps in a guitar. You can get away with small 16V-50V poly film caps just fine.

Can't go wrong with a CC/A2P set or a C5/Jazz set or a Pearly Gates set.

Hey - my epi has LONG shafts!?!?!? We are talking about epiphone, so maybe best to check...
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by midnite_man View Post
    Ya know, I could've went all day without that comment. We are only trying to help the guy as best we can. You 've got my vote for class act of the day, Ace! (no exception)

I'm taking my smack-down like a man. It was well deserved. All apologies!

However - every LP thing I have/have had except one Kaman POS, has had long shafts including my epi...So when I saw the short shaft respone I wigged. My bad. The Kaman, it turns out has nasty little routes in the cavity for short shafts. what a shame - beautiful dish on that axe...

Hey - my epi has LONG shafts!?!?!? We are talking about epiphone, so maybe best to check...
    True, we are talking Epiphone, and it could also be different depending on the model. Maybe all the Classics have long shafts like yours. I thought mine had long shafts too until I had to replace one if them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm taking my smack-down like a man. It was well deserved. All apologies!

However - every LP thing I have/have had except one Kaman POS, has had long shafts including my epi...So when I saw the short shaft respone I wigged. My bad. The Kaman, it turns out has nasty little routes in the cavity for short shafts. what a shame - beautiful dish on that axe...
    'tis all good, brudda. I'm learning things from this thread right along with everyone else, which is one of the great things about this forum. I shouldn't have given Jimmy advice on the shaft-length issue not knowing all the facts about short or long-length versions. Seems like I remember when I replaced the pots in my Epi LP years ago I bought new ones at a local guitar shop where they kept them in a big bowl out on the counter. They were for Gibson, or so the man said, and they worked in my axe so they may have been long shaft's. Can't be positive on that.

peace