Thread: PGn Problem

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default PGn Problem

I recently got a pearly gates pickup for the neck on my les paul, and when I tested it, it read about 5.6k ohms, instead of the 7k that's listed on this site. Is this variance normal, or is there another problem that I need to address? thanks in advance for any help.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: PGn Problem

Thats a fair amount of variance, but there could be other things involved. Did you hold the meter leads against the pickup leads with your fingers? Thats a common mistake. Is the battery in your meter fairly fresh? Is it a "cheap" meter? Hold the two leads together and see what the residual resistance is. (Although, if there's much, it will add to the resistance.) Was the pup removed from the guitar circuit?

Thats a few things to consider.

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a cheap meter, but when I read the other pickup (a 59/custom hybrid that I did after reading about it on here, and I would like to thank bachtorock for that incredible thread) it was right on the money. I don't think it's anything serious, probably just a minor mistake (I did hold the leads together with my fingers). I was just curious because I had just installed covers onto the pickups and was checking to make sure that nothing was seroiusly messed up. Also, I would like to say thank you to everybody in this forum for helping me find the right pickups for my les paul. I know I didn't put out a thread on it, but there's enough information here to write a book. So, thank you Artietoo for the help with the PG, and thanks to the rest of the forum for everything else.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bottom line: How's it sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.