Thread: Dating a guitar. (Serial #) Fender Dean Content

Ultimate Tone Slacker beggar_guitar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dating a guitar. (Serial #) Fender Dean Content

I was trying to date a couple of my guitars. My Strat is an MIM and the serial begins MZ3. Would this mean the guitar is an '03? I know my Tele is an 06, and it's serial begins MZ6.

Is this correct?

I have a Dean and I am not 100% sure of the year. It's Serial is 040418. It is an Icon Special Select (Korean) Anyone have a clue on finding the year of it's build?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dating a guitar. (Serial #) Fender Dean Content

People always laugh when I try to date my guitar.

The worst thing is when I must show up to posh events with an inflatable guitar.

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by danglybanger View Post
    People always laugh when I try to date my guitar.

The worst thing is when I must show up to posh events with an inflatable guitar.
    nyuk nyuk nyuk

Your MZ3 is either 2003 or 2004 (MZ3 was used both years). MZ6 is definitely 2006, unless it does NOT have the upgrades (medium-jumbo frets, hotter pickups, 60th Anniversary emblem on the back of the headstock). I bet some MZ6 numbers will run in to this years (2007). Fender's usually do that.

As for the Dean, this is what I was able to find via Google:

From http://www.vintagerocker.com/serialnumbers.html

"Dean guitars made in the USA follow a serial number pattern consisting of a 7 digit number with the first 2 numbers being the year of manufacture, followed by instrument production numbers. The serial number is found on the back of the headstock. Imported Dean guitars do not have year coded serial numbers and have to be dated by configuration and design."

Your best bet with the Dean would be to take some good pics and post them up on the Dean Forum.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Your MZ3 is either 2003 or 2004 (MZ3 was used both years). MZ6 is definitely 2006, unless it does NOT have the upgrades (medium-jumbo frets, hotter pickups, 60th Anniversary emblem on the back of the headstock). I bet some MZ6 numbers will run in to this years (2007). Fender's usually do that.

As for the Dean, this is what I was able to find via Google:

From http://www.vintagerocker.com/serialnumbers.html

"Dean guitars made in the USA follow a serial number pattern consisting of a 7 digit number with the first 2 numbers being the year of manufacture, followed by instrument production numbers. The serial number is found on the back of the headstock. Imported Dean guitars do not have year coded serial numbers and have to be dated by configuration and design."

Your best bet with the Dean would be to take some good pics and post them up on the Dean Forum.
    Thanks man. So the Strat could be 03 or 04. The Tele is an 06 since is has the 60th Anniv decal. I'll make sure and go check the Dean forums for my Icon. Thanks!