Thread: Guitar cleaning: Murphy's oil soap?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Guitar cleaning: Murphy's oil soap?

Hey dudes

Somebody on here was talking about how good murphy's oil soap was for cleaning, so I picked some up tonight at work, but I was trying to remember, it was for cleaning fretboards, right??
    Fender Classic 60's Strat
    Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
    DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
    Vox V848 wah
    Line 6 MM-4
    Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Default Re: Guitar cleaning: Murphy's oil soap?

i used a little murphy's oil soap mixed with a bunch of water to scrub down the fingerboard (with an old toothbrush) of my ibanez am-50 that had gotten grody over the years .. it worked real well, but i may have 'overacheived' and dried the fingerboard out a bit too much .. so i used a ton of luthiers choice fretboard conditioner, letting it sit for a few days before wiping off the excess .. it looks, feels, and sounds great now .. but i was worried that i had screwwed up royally

i know that maple boards need special care, but not exactly sure what that is ... i am sure someone else will be along with good advice

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For cleaning the finger schmunda off the rosewood boards of my strats I found that a little bit of lighter fluid dabbed on a sock, and a vigorous rubbing on the board works wonders. It tends to dry out the board a tad so I remedied that with just a teensy bit of lemon oil and now my fretboard looks and feels WAY better.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEBACCA View Post
    Plus Black Rings with Black Pickups on a Red Guitar just scream " I'm an Import " LOL...don't know why, it just does IMO....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For (finished) maple boards, a little body polish will work just fine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used straight Murphy's oil on my Kramer and acoustic guitar(both rosewood) and it didn't make the necks dry at all...
    MIM Fender Strat-stock
    Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
    Dean V X- 85/81
    Crybaby From Hell
    Ibanez DE7
    ADA MP-1
    Furman EQ
    Peavey Bandit 112

Looking for Real Life drew_half_empty's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by B2D
    For cleaning the finger schmunda off the rosewood boards of my strats I found that a little bit of lighter fluid dabbed on a sock, and a vigorous rubbing on the board works wonders. It tends to dry out the board a tad so I remedied that with just a teensy bit of lemon oil and now my fretboard looks and feels WAY better.
    does it smell like lemons? honestly that'd kinda freak me out if my guitar smelled like lemons

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It smells like lemons, but the smell doesn't stay. I wouldn't mind if my guitar smelled like lemons though.

Lewguitar

We use Murphy's in the furniture shop sometimes to clean old finishes. My wife uses it around the house and on our kitchen cabinets. Good stuff! Can't see how you could harm your guitar with it. The lighter fluid on a sock (or whatever) method of cleaning fingerboard grime works well tho...as someone mentioned. Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I was the one that brought up Murphy's Oil Soap, but not for cleaning guitars. That discussion was about cleaning amp tolex. Murphy's Oil Soap is the best thing I've ever found for cleaning dirt out of the nooks and crannies of tolex.
    It's best to remove the chassis first, to avoid getting water on the metal parts.

For guitars, regular guitar polish, furniture polish, and even liquid turtlewax for removing swirl marks is what I use. I have a giant bottle of lemon oil for fretboards and unfinished guitars.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.