Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: american fenders

Looking for Real Life drew_half_empty's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default american fenders

what the hell is the difference and why is that difference worth hundreds more

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: american fenders

better woods.......more time spent prefecting neck (rolled edges, fretwork)........better hardware and better pickups.....
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i dunno, i can't tell that much neck difference, pickups yeah, but can't you buy those aftermarket anyways?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there are some real nice mexis.....and some so so americans........ its just about findin the right one that stands out

sometimes the neck might feel pretty good, but when you really put it through the grind, the combinations of the hardware and neck could really throw the guitar out of tune........ this will happen more likely on mexis just because there is not as much time spent on em and because the hardware is not as well perfected and well made

but like i said, there is not that much difference at all sometimes.........but every mexi ive played did not feel right compared to my american strat or other americans ive played.......eh, i guess its just what is right for you

>cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Ultimate Tone Slacker strat_master's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what they said

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah, they are right, make sure u look around though, its all about personal taste, you need one which suits you!
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
    Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
    Korg AX1500G multi-fx
    RAT
    Boss PH-1r
    Ibanez cf-7
    Ibanwz ts-7
    Danelectro tremolo
    Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love my mexi more than any other american ive played. Not the sound cause the pups are stock (still waitin to change them.) But it just feels more worn in to me. I made one mod, I refinished the neck and it feels great. I dunno mabey I just have one of those good mexican strats. It stays in tune well too, but I changed the tunners to vintage strat style ones. I've put a total of about $35 into it including te refinishing suplies for the neck, and I can't really feel the difference. It took some tweaking to the set-up of the guitar for the neck to feel good, but only took about 10-20 minutes to do. If I were u I would play both and just see what you like.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

with a pickup change (good pickups like duncans) i doubt anybody could tell the differnce between a mexi and american

but feel and playability is the key differnce, and the most important to me..... you can always make changes in the sound of the guitar (to an extent)....but you cant change the feel of it.....

all that being said, i wouldt not pay 850 or 900 for a new american strat......i also would not buy a mexican strat (unless i found an unbelivable one, but none have come close)....... i would always opt for a used american at around 500-600......and thats what i did
    Last edited by flank; 06-28-2004 at 02:07 PM.

>cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by drew_half_empty
    what the hell is the difference and why is that difference worth hundreds more
    To be honest, I've always thought that for $500-$700 on Ebay for a 2nd hand US Strat, its a pretty good deal for the guitar you get. What I've always wondered about is how Gibson can charge another grand for making the same guitar Heritage does
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Ultimate Tone Slacker SoCalSteve's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love my MIM Strat. It's the satin candy apple with black pups/pickguard. Stays in tune better than my Floyd Rose Ibanez. C-shaped neck feels wonderful to my hands, nice smooth fret edges. Switches and knobs are tight. It's a keeper.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve
    I love my MIM Strat. It's the satin candy apple with black pups/pickguard. Stays in tune better than my Floyd Rose Ibanez. C-shaped neck feels wonderful to my hands, nice smooth fret edges. Switches and knobs are tight. It's a keeper.
    lol yeah, but what _doesn't_ stay in tune better than a guitar with a cheap floyd copy? (I still have mine, but I'm blocking it off - don't use it anyway)

I think MIM Strats are definitely keepers - at least most of them. I like the attention to detail and in general the better quality materials found in the MIAs, but obviously my MIM with SD pickups was enough for me... I found my tone with the MIM so no need to get another strat... It's really the looks that make me want to get another one - cherry sunburst finishes are to die for. =)

allthingsstrat.com has a very good comparison chart (and a tour of the mexican facility in pictures! =))

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphial
    To be honest, I've always thought that for $500-$700 on Ebay for a 2nd hand US Strat, its a pretty good deal for the guitar you get. What I've always wondered about is how Gibson can charge another grand for making the same guitar Heritage does
    Its probably the topic of another thread, but I agree with you, I think Gibsons are the most over priced instruments out there - not that they don't make a nice guitar but certainly no better than the likes of Hamer, Heritage, etc. and you could make an arguement that many of their guitars are inferior to those makers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can argue with me as much as you like but when you're talking Fender guitars, the Mexican made instruments are the best value for the money at this point in time. The American made guitars & basses may use a bit better wood (We're talking Fender here, not Squire), but remember, we're talking Alder, Ash & Poplar. There isn't that much difference. I'll put my Mexi's up against ANY American made instruments.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion
    You can argue with me as much as you like but when you're talking Fender guitars, the Mexican made instruments are the best value for the money at this point in time. The American made guitars & basses may use a bit better wood (We're talking Fender here, not Squire), but remember, we're talking Alder, Ash & Poplar. There isn't that much difference. I'll put my Mexi's up against ANY American made instruments.
    Well yeah, but the difference these days isn't about the wood itself, but perhaps the quality of the wood and the number of pieces. My strat's poplar - back when the MIMs were poplar and the real strats were Alder/Ash. Nowadays they're all Alder/Ash - but the wood may not be as pretty, as resonant, or just may be 5-7 pieces instead of a normal 2-3 piece.

One thing I will say is, I love a resonant guitar - my strat's pretty good, but I think you can definitely tell the difference between even a good mexi and a good mia in that respect.

I agree with you though - the MIMs are a great value, when compared to the MIAs. I wouldn't put a stock MIM against an MIA but I might consider an MIM with duncans going against an MIA.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah but you don't pay as much for the fender name as you do marshall or gibson, which are both overpriced and overrated. Are the mexis the highway 61's? cuz my blackout is korean, so i'm taking it standards aren't mexis

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say roughly the order is:
    squiers (and however they break down with their affinity stuff)
    (mexican) standard strats
    (american) standard (now replaced by american series)
    custom shop

not counting the special editions, etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will stick my neck out here. I have had an American and 2 MIM strats. My favorites are the Mexican ones. Here is some insdie info. I worked in the music industry for a software company and we would wheel and deal to get gear trading and what not. Anyway we hadf a rep at Fender and he said it was an inside joke at Fender because people were always like american this and American that. What they don't realize he said is that the machines that made all the coveted old Fenders are the machines down in Mexico. The wood is also sent from USA.
    When I get a mexican strat I do 2 things immediately. I upgrade to large jumbo frets (I do that on all my guitars) and switch out pups. I have the pickups I want and a fret job and set up still under cost of American Strat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the wood is definitely a bit better, and the electronics are different, but it definitely doesn't warrant a several-hundred dollar difference.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by keano12
    I will stick my neck out here. I have had an American and 2 MIM strats. My favorites are the Mexican ones. Here is some insdie info. I worked in the music industry for a software company and we would wheel and deal to get gear trading and what not. Anyway we hadf a rep at Fender and he said it was an inside joke at Fender because people were always like american this and American that. What they don't realize he said is that the machines that made all the coveted old Fenders are the machines down in Mexico. The wood is also sent from USA.
    When I get a mexican strat I do 2 things immediately. I upgrade to large jumbo frets (I do that on all my guitars) and switch out pups. I have the pickups I want and a fret job and set up still under cost of American Strat.
    I think I can take it a step further in that when I bought my strat, the pieces were actually made _in_ the USA and just shipped to Mexico for final assembly!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The American and Mexican factories are 5 miles apart. Are US ones 2.5 times better than the Mexis? No way. Mexis are great deals, plus fun to modify.