Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 161718192021

Thread: "Fundies say the darndest things!"

dreamonologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "Fundies say the darndest things!"

Quote Originally Posted by davedvdy View Post
    Woah, time out...I couldn't help but notice this. I asked you a question RE: how many species of apes we evoloved from, and you said "that information is readily available". BUT you wanted me to back up my claim of people dying a lot older back then...hmm....

It depends on your definition of species. Most likely, a single species diverged into many different species including apes, monkeys, and humans. However, recent data suggests that a few genetically compatible species of ancient humans interbred and merged together to form the direct ancestor of the modern human.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    That house of cards fell when the Shroud of Turin ended up being a French replica. Also when it was known that Noah didn't cram thousands of species onto an arc, but actually it was Gilgamesh the beer captain caught in a storm. Let's not forget the chestnut, the virgin Mary. How about the Red Sea, which has been reduced to low tide in a bay full of ferrous oxide? Then we can move along to the idea of starting the human race with two adults and a snake story.

The Discovery Channel doesn't even need to dig very far to unearth the mythological nonsense stories. The house of cards is tumbling. How many more supernatural fables need to be torn apart before you realize that the entire story is a cannonized summary of past myths, all blended together into a tidy way to keep the ignorant people fearful of the unknown? This is mankind's major flaw. Our world cannot evolve properly and sustain itself by clinging to these supernatural belief systems, whereby we define ourselves by nonsensical stories written by middle eastern men a few thousand years ago.

I'm scared when I see religion gain momentum by big money. Some may be amused by the televangelist movement, but in my view it's a threat to the future of mankind. Some may be amused by these 'fundie statements' but in reality it's a mental disease....a cultural virus that needs to be exposed for what it is....mythology and irrellevant stories that don't have any connection whatsoever to the great evolving solar system we live within.

If you ask me if I believe in god, I'll tell you the same thing Stephen Hawking would tell you....."if by god is meant the embodiment of all the natural laws of the universe."
    Wow...it's amazing how easily people accept some of those interesting theories too just because it's telling them what they emotionally want to believe about Christianity too.

Just like the Da Vinci code.

dreamonologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes... theories.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny R View Post
    Wow...it's amazing how easily people accept some of those interesting theories too just because it's telling them what they emotionally want to believe about Christianity too.

Just like the Da Vinci code.
    Even if you buy the original versions, you've gotta admit the "debunked" versions are a hell of a lot easier to swallow.
    Buy the book in my avatar. It's pretty cool.

http://jchutchins.net/site/order/

Skarekrough

Quote Originally Posted by big_black View Post

...some days you're the Beagle...some days you're the raccoon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only if you don't bother to look into things. Doing a little bit of digging into things soon gets more interesting. The whole spiritualist approach discussed in the Da Vinci code just doesn't make historical sense.

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only if you don't bother to look into things. Doing a little bit of digging into things soon gets more interesting. The whole spiritualist approach discussed in the Da Vinci code just doesn't make historical sense.
    it's a Story man!Not Scinece ,not history and not even a theory!Just fiction!

Skarekrough

You're right.

It makes good entertainment.

And if you're looking at a horrendous adaptation of a movie based on a book on the grounds of someone calling it a reliigon then you're a single step away from defending Battlefield Earth.

So go on...start waxing ecstatic about that nugget Travolta funded and grunted out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by daemon barbeque View Post
    it's a Story man!Not Scinece ,not history and not even a theory!Just fiction!
    The reference to Da Vinci Code was merely a representative one rather than trying to find a broad all encompassing term for many popular theories espoused these days. Wasn't a particular beef with that book. Hope I didn't confuse people there in the discussion of broader ideas.

In terms of the quality of the book, I thought it was fun...but the characterisation sucked. I think as a book it was definitely better than Battlefield Earth as a movie though

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reference to Da Vinci Code was merely a representative one rather than trying to find a broad all encompassing term for many popular theories espoused these days. Wasn't a particular beef with that book. Hope I didn't confuse people there in the discussion of broader ideas.

In terms of the quality of the book, I thought it was fun...but the characterisation sucked. I think as a book it was definitely better than Battlefield Earth as a movie though
    I really Enjoyed it!But ,it lack of concistency ,wich makes Dan Brown more a Journalist ,rahter than a author!

dreamonologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There can be truth to stories.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theboatcandream View Post
    There can be truth to stories.
    Yeah!But that doesn't mean it have to be true.I am rather sceptical!