Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fundies say the darndest things!"

dreamonologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "Fundies say the darndest things!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Scott View Post
    "Judge not, lest ye shall be judged."
    Being a sinner doesn't mean you're wrong!
    Last edited by theboatcandream; 02-02-2007 at 10:07 PM.

dreamonologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Scott View Post
    Ya know, that whaaaaambulance pic was ok when it first came out. It's getting a little tired now. Every time I see it I just think of how old and tired it is and how parrot-like and unoriginal the dude who posted it is.

"SQUAWK!!! Whaaaaaaaaambulance! SQUAWK!!!"

It was tired the first time it was used.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although funny, the waaambulance totally missed the mark the first time it was EVER posted. It's highly ironic, because there is FAR more whinging, wining and crying about the PC police than the actual presence of PC police themselves!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Although funny, the waaambulance totally missed the mark the first time it was EVER posted. It's highly ironic, because there is FAR more whinging, wining and crying about the PC police than the actual presence of PC police themselves!
    I think that just shows the subjective nature of things. There's certainly been a lot of proclaiming that to be the case, but it kinda feels like people are repeating that in the hopes that it will become true or accepted as truth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if I'm reading you right Jonny, but (on this forum) there's a very small amount of instances of things that spring to mind that could be classified as coming close heading towards political correctness. I can think of the taxi driver thread getting axed and the complaints over the lawn jockey avatar... that's about it.

This is in contrast to most threads involving women, Mexicans or other ethnic groups, homosexuality - of which there are numerous - that gets the waaaambulance treatment despite no complaints even being made.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-02-2007 at 10:27 PM.
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand what you're meaning, I simply think that it's very difficult for that broad statement to be made objectively, rather than subjectively, given people inevitably notice the things that bug them more than others. For instance, sometimes it seems there are not too many long periods of time without some or other thread being posted aimed at Christians.

My argument in this thread has always been "Why do some people on this board regularly post things aimed at some or other segment or fringe area of Christian culture, but are also the first to jump in and protest in any thread that addresses other more protected groups?" (and from what I've seen, even being prepared to miscast statements made to brand people, rather than debate what is actually said, including on issues such as homosexuality).

If no complaints are made in any other threads then there would be nothing to reply to in citing the handing out of tissues etc.

The strongly ironic thing is that any irony would really apply both ways - people saying in this thread "Oh, can't Christians take it? But you're happy to be part of threads on other groups" (notwithstanding the fact that in this they're also lumping together the many with the few who make less charitable statements in other threads) are in fact acting in exactly the same way if they jump up and down in another thread.

I think Gr8Scott didn't get enough credit in this thread for pointing out that irony and lack of consistency.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 on most counts, Jonny. I think we might be talking about different things. I'm all in favour of Christians having the same freedom from persecution... but my gripe about the waaaambulance has little to do with Christians.

About the 'crying towel' taunts being thrown to those defending a form of bad behavior (eg. attacks on certain groups)... if those people are guilty of sticking up for minorities but overtly bashing Christianity, then their behavior (as pointed out) is ironic.

My issue is not with their behavior being ironic, but the relative scarcity of the defending of minorities on this board. I may be selective in my reading, but bashing minorities seems to happen more frequently. When the waaambulance pics get thrown out in all those 'touchy' threads with no sign of resistance, it seems like there is absolutely no reason for that picture to even be there, considering all that has been allowed to stay active.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny R
    and from what I've seen, even being prepared to miscast statements made to brand people, rather than debate what is actually said, including on issues such as homosexuality
    Which is similar to getting labelled as a 'PC Police' when pointing out the inappropriateness of certain remarks. As someone who does not miscast Christians as bigots, I can say this without irony.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-02-2007 at 11:04 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny R View Post
    I understand what you're meaning, I simply think that it's very difficult for that broad statement to be made objectively, rather than subjectively, given people inevitably notice the things that bug them more than others. For instance, sometimes it seems there are not too many long periods of time without some or other thread being posted aimed at Christians.

My argument in this thread has always been "Why do some people on this board regularly post things aimed at some or other segment or fringe area of Christian culture, but are also the first to jump in and protest in any thread that addresses other more protected groups?" (and from what I've seen, even being prepared to miscast statements made to brand people, rather than debate what is actually said, including on issues such as homosexuality).

If no complaints are made in any other threads then there would be nothing to reply to in citing the handing out of tissues etc.

The strongly ironic thing is that any irony would really apply both ways - people saying in this thread "Oh, can't Christians take it? But you're happy to be part of threads on other groups" (notwithstanding the fact that in this they're also lumping together the many with the few who make less charitable statements in other threads) are in fact acting in exactly the same way if they jump up and down in another thread.

I think Gr8Scott didn't get enough credit in this thread for pointing out that irony and lack of consistency.
    brilliant, well thought out
    #WhyNotUs
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm particularly interested in Jonny's point of the irony working both ways.

We have members attacking minorities with slurs but defending Christians against slurs. We have members attacking Christians with slurs but defending minorities with slurs.

The person who laughs at a taxi driver joke then proceeds to complain about Christian bashing is as lame as the Christian basher who complains about the taxi driver joke.

We should strive to be fair (even though the term can be ambiguous) in our treatment towards ALL groups. However, people who think they can 'find a balance' by attacking 'protected' groups aren't going to do anything but reveal their lack of character.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We should strive to be fair (even though the term can be ambiguous) in our treatment towards ALL groups. However, people who think they can 'find a balance' by attacking 'protected' groups aren't going to do anything but reveal their lack of character.
    ok, i'll be an equal opportunity bigot.......
    #WhyNotUs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my question to you is, who will define what fair is? it's to the point in western countries where the TRUTH about certain religions cannot be spoken because you'll be labeled a racist......theo van gogh comes to mind
    #WhyNotUs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I agree. It's such a difficult thing to do. But surely hostile taxi driver taunts or hostile bible basher taunts extend beyond anybody's version of fair. People shouldn't have to put up with that... are you with me?

In regard to the "truth of certain religions" (?), I won't even begin to think I know anything about that - so I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

Before getting into the more complex issues like that, I'd start with the basic decency of cutting the condescending off-colour remarks.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-02-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chopstherocker View Post
    Beerchange has never had a thread last this long before he deleted it. He should be proud.
    The admins will delete it before I do
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    When I have a craving to for an acoustic sound, i go outside and punch a tree until my fists are bloody then plug in my SG and rock out like a man!!
    My band:

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

dreamonologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only slur I see being through around is "Fundie", and it refers to Fundamentalist Christians - not Christians in general. Christians in general are not being attacked in this thread.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny R View Post

People here are getting offended when they are not the ones being directly insulted.

These religious nuts NEED to be exposed.

They NEED to be made the fool.

These people are dangerous.

AS I said earlier, good Christians need to distance themselves from these people lest they be lumped in with them. If you agree with what's going on in that link that was posted...well, I can't help you. You are probably getting less than you deserve.
    Last edited by big_black; 02-03-2007 at 09:51 AM.

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mmmm, 4 pages....I'm impressed.......figured that it'd be nuked by now.
    Gibson R8, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Divided by 13 EDT 13/29, Twister Dust Devil, Marshall Class 5, Various pedals

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by big_black View Post
    AS I said earlier, good Christians need to distance themselves from these people lest they be lumped in with them. .

To be serious for a moment, while I generally agree with you on this kind of topic I have to disagree with you somewhat here. I don't think that non-nutty Christians have to publicly/explicitly distance themselves from these fruit loops any more than Mohammed Six Pack has to take to the streets and lash himself when some nut kills people in the name of Islam (which is what a lot of folks want/expect him to do). In a similiar vein, Some Guy Who Owns a Couple of Guns does not, IMHO, need to call a press conference to distance himself from wack jobs who train for/fantasize about ATF assaults on their compounds and read their DNA-encrusted copies of the Turner Diaries with their pants around their ankles.

On the other hand, Frank Lee knows that sometimes people with very disparate views will band together politically and/or socially for a variety of reasons; being a member of a group with fruit loop elements ultimately taints everyone under that umbrella, especially to those who are completely outside of it. On that level your point rings true, I think, as it refers to those who deliberately associate. Sometimes people with very disparate views will be painted with the same brush by outsiders, perhaps unfairly.

It's a complex thing -- this humanity stuff -- perhaps rendered more complex by our attempts to simplify it.

Thank you.

PS: Big Black, you are a good looking guy; don't think I haven't noticed.

Thank you.

PPS: Rainmaker, you speak the truth. Thank you.
    Last edited by Frankly; 02-03-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Thank you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    PS: Big Black, you are a good looking guy; don't think I haven't noticed.

Thank you.
    Thank YOU.

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't really get why people think that some of us "strike" the Christians???We don't do!
    the Christians actually stop whining and see the truth that fundies dirt their own names.See the truth people.Stay away from dirt!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    Mohammed Six Pack
    #WhyNotUs