Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G&L Legacy Pickups (Strat Like)

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default G&L Legacy Pickups (Strat Like)

Loving this new G&L Legacy and don't plan on changing anything major on it soon. But maybe some opinions on the pickups:

What I know:
    - The pickups sound good & work well with the tone controls
    - Bridge pickup is too weak and thin ... very much like my Strat
    - It's very quiet on 2-4 ... noise on 1-3-5 settings ... again like my Strat
    - Loaded with quack ... maybe more than Strat
    - had to remove springs on bridge PICKUP to get it close enough to strings

What I don't know:
    - DC resistance for stock legacy pickups? (should have measured them)
    - Will bassplate help the thin & weak bridge pickup ... what kind?
    - Will Seymour Duncans fit ... if I decide to change them?

Right now I think I would like to:
    -Add Stewmac copper tape shielding. It helped my Tele a bit but doesn't get rid of noise entirely.
    - If I could find one that fits, I'd like to add a baseplate to the bridge pickup if it would add a bit of bass/mids and strengthen the output (even a little).

Opinions?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: G&L Legacy Pickups (Strat Like)

I can't help you with the spec of the pickups, but I can tell you that I added a steel plate to the bottom of a bridge Fender 57/62 and it added more bass and mids, making it more OD friendly. It didn't add much output, but it did thicken the tone a bit.

As far as Duncans fitting in it, again, I'm not sure, but if they do, an Antiquity I Custom will beef up the bridge position nicely while still blending well with a mid pickup.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got Duncans in my Legacy. I fitted a Twangbanger to give more beef in the Bridge.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    I've got Duncans in my Legacy. I fitted a Twangbanger to give more beef in the Bridge.
    So Seymour Duncan's fit without any modifications? Is the pickup height OK?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah no problems at all. I've got SSL-1's in the middle and neck. The only difference with mine is that I don't have it wired for the PTB system, rather a tone for bridge and neck. Some of the earlier G&L's came fitted stock with Duncan SSL-1's I believe.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like I said I have no plans to change pickups now and I like the Legacy wiring much better than the Strat. I think I might like to try the bassplate to bridge pickup.

I'm more likely to buy a different display for my computer since it creates most of my noise during home recording.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with a baseplate for the bridge pickup. I tried a Tribute series guitar, which had the US G&L pickups and a PTB system in it, and I was very impressed by the quality of the tones.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with a baseplate for the bridge pickup. I tried a Tribute series guitar, which had the US G&L pickups and a PTB system in it, and I was very impressed by the quality of the tones.
    The more I play the guitar, seems like the more I like the pickups. I'm going to give it some time ... it may be OK just the way it is. This is truly an awesome guitar ... the only issue is the single coil noise on 1-3-5. Next string change I'll probably shield the cavity with Stewmac foil. I know that will only help about 10%-15% ... but I'll give it a try. I went the noiseless route on the Strat ... but I like the pickups and tone control setup on the Legacy just the way it is. So, I'm going to deal with the noise.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love G & L's honeyburst! It looks incredible with their gun oil tint necks.

stock strat pickups sound weak in the bridge position -- that's just the way it is

my '94 Legacy has the stock SD SSL-2s. I've learned to live with noise in strats, and I honestly believe shielding robs some highs.

I don't necessarily think the Legacy wiring is better than a regular strat, just different. It does give you control over the tone of the bridge pickup, but I solve that on regular strats by just wiring the bridge pickup to the mid tone pot.

adding a baseplate may help the output, but it will also affect the quack of the notch position, and so will a hotter bridge pickup. I like the SSL-3 in the bridge on one of my strats, but you will not get the quack of stock strat pickups, unless you use a tapped bridge pickup.

BTW, you can still measure your pickups -- plug in you guitar cord, then put your meter's ground lead to the shaft, hot lead to the tip. Your measurement will be slightly lower, but you'll still be close enough.
    Last edited by Curly; 02-10-2007 at 06:58 AM.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont have any experiance with losing high end to foil but I was sent here http://www.guitarnuts.com by some forum Bros who swore by it. All three of my Strats hummed so I did the wiring and used shielding paint. I started with the foil but it was such a pain to do a really pretty job and gave up and got the paint in the middle of the first one. Now I'm a firm convert. I was an electronics tech in the Service and what this guy said made absolute technical sense. It works!
    My Strats are all dead quiet in all positions and I couldn't hear any loss of high end. Give it a read and see what you think.

Jim
    MIM Super Strat w/ Warmoth SRV Neck, Antiq.Tex. Hot N, Antiq. Tex. Hot M, Twangbanger Br

Blues Jr (Bill M modded) Vox Tonelab [/SIZE]

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've shielded my Legacy with good results.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBlue View Post
    I dont have any experiance with losing high end to foil but I was sent here http://www.guitarnuts.com by some forum Bros who swore by it. All three of my Strats hummed so I did the wiring and used shielding paint. I started with the foil but it was such a pain to do a really pretty job and gave up and got the paint in the middle of the first one. Now I'm a firm convert. I was an electronics tech in the Service and what this guy said made absolute technical sense. It works!
    My Strats are all dead quiet in all positions and I couldn't hear any loss of high end. Give it a read and see what you think.

Jim
    I tried this a couple of years ago ... found this site then. I was working with a Tele ... I found it helped a bit (10%-15%) but it did not get "noiseless" until I put the SD vintage stacks in it. This did change the tone a bit but was a good tele sound. I did install a mini-switch to disable the lower humbucking coils. So when noise is not too bad ... I can run the single coils.

But the Legacy sounds to good to start messing around with it ... so I'm going to attempt the stewmac copper foil on the cavity. I still feel that most of the noise comes through the unshielded, plastic covered pickups that extended far above the pickguard on a Legacy. Guitar-nuts mentions shielding the pickups but comes short of recommending it ... stating it will change the high-end sound a bit. Did you shield the pickups?

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looked around inside the Legacy today:

- DC resistance is 6.9k (neck) 7.0 (middle) 7.2k (bridge) ... higher than I thought
    - There are ground loops to fix
    - All the wiring is "old school" unshielded wax cloth covered wire
    - No foil or paint ... with the exception of a small piece under the controls

So ... I'm going to do the guitar nuts "silencing the beast" mod. I think Strat-type guitars can benefit more than Tele-type guitars. I really like the pickups and controls ... just want to minimize the noise on 1-3-5 ... I'll give it a try. This is a sweet guitar ... been playing it for a week ... solid.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dig the sound of G&L Pickups - I put a JBjr in my old Fender, and then put in a Legacy neck/mid and they matched up reeeely well (hotter than the stock Fenders, and with a little more substance to me)

'Course, all that was moot when I sold it to get my S-500, which I love...those pickups are a little different from the Legacy p'ups. But man, it's a sweet piece, I'd sleep with it if there was room for it next to me and my wife. Maybe we'll have to get a king so all three of us will fit.
    (I don't think she'd go for that)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

actually I thought G & Ls had a brass ground plate in the control cavity

you might check the G & L fan web site
    "music heals"
    facebook

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    actually I thought G & Ls had a brass ground plate in the control cavity

you might check the G & L fan web site
    Nothing in the bottom of the cavity but ash ... it's even a beautiful honey finish inside

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah no problems at all. I've got SSL-1's in the middle and neck. The only difference with mine is that I don't have it wired for the PTB system, rather a tone for bridge and neck. Some of the earlier G&L's came fitted stock with Duncan SSL-1's I believe.
    SSL-2s, actually--with the flat pole pieces.

Bill

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    SSL-2s, actually--with the flat pole pieces.

Bill
    That would make sense with the flatter fingerboard radius.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update: I made the following changes to the Legacy with good results:

- Shielded the cavity with Stewmac paint
    - Shielded the longer wire runs (pickup leads & input lead)
    - Shielded the back of the pickguard with Stewmac foil
    - Star grounding (even though I don't think it helps, it won't hurt)

Results: Did a real good job on it. It helped a lot more on the Strat-type guitar than the Tele-type. It's not as quiet on 1-3-5 as it is on 2-4 BUT it's a whole lot better. Really glad I did it ... mostly helped with the noise I get from my computer screen on 1-3-5 when recording.

I took some before pictures but I didn't have my digital camera in the house today. So next time I change the strings, I'll take an after picture and post both.

Wherever there is good music, cold beer, and fine ladies, willing to give it up!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy and install a full aluminum shield that bolts up to the pickguard and shields most of the wiring from the front.

You did not mention is it is a Korean made Legacy or a USA made Legacy. There is a major difference in tone.

In any case, the tone can be improved with different pups, SD, Fralin, Lollar, and Suhr. The rest don't cut it. Keep the VTB control setup to keep control of your bridge pup's tone.

Let us know the results - I am sure you will be happy.
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!