Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: volume drop on strat position 2 and 4

Default volume drop on strat position 2 and 4

I installed the Antiquity II pickups. Custom bridge, RW/RP and the surfer for the neck. These crank!,,,but I am getting a noticeable volume drop in postions 2 and 4 on the strat. Any help on this?

Aceman is MR SPEED JB_From_Hell's Avatar

Default Re: volume drop on strat position 2 and 4

That's normal. Those positions are parallel wiring, which equals lower output.

Yeah I figured as much but it seemed a little more noticeable than with the Texas Specials I had in it which couldn't cut through the mix very well. At first I thought maybe the polarity of the RW/RP was dropping more than usual

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar

raise your middle pickup as much as you can without warble

chances are if you raise or lower the middle pup you can get some volume back, youll change the tone but it can be a little louder. i prefer the neck and bridge high with the middle low

Lewguitar

Two points: if you have two tone controls when you combine two pickups that each have their own tone control you also combine the two tone controls. And that results in a loss of treble even when both are on "10". Two 250K tone pots in parallel = 125K or thereabouts. It's why all of my Strats have only one tone control...I think it sounds better that way: brighter and stronger when two pickups are combined.

Regarding raising the middle pickup, the magnetic polepieces will "pull" on the low strings and "pull" them out of tune. The magnetic effect is cumulative and if one pickup is further from the strings there will be less "pulling" on the strings.

I like to keep my middle pickup further from the strings than the neck and bridge pickups for that reason. With the middle pickup further away I can move the neck and bridge pickups a ittle closer to the strings...especially the bridge pickup.

Questionologist

The neck pickup is the biggest culprit for "Stratitis" though, because the string is easier to pull the farther you get from the end of the string (bridge or nut). You have to set it as low as you can and still have it sound good/loud enough.

But you can get away with it a little higher if it's an A2 or A3 because they're not as strong as A5.

The bridge is the one you can get away with setting the highest.
    Generic signature line.

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    The neck pickup is the biggest culprit for "Stratitis" though, because the string is easier to pull the farther you get from the end of the string (bridge or nut). You have to set it as low as you can and still have it sound good/loud enough.

But you can get away with it a little higher if it's an A2 or A3 because they're not as strong as A5.

The bridge is the one you can get away with setting the highest.
    Yep. Exactly. I'm able to keep my bridge pickup pretty close to the strings because that pickup is so close to the bridge saddles that the string doesn't move as much.

But the middle pickup does have a strong magnetic pull on the wound strings...maybe not quite as much of an affect as the neck pickup but it still has a negative affect.

I find that if I move the middle pickup further away that I can move the neck pickup a little closer.

That's what I meant about the magnetic pull being cumulative.

It's also a factor (not the ONLY factor) in why Teles sustain and ring a little better than Strats: no middle pickup pulling on the strings in a Tele.

And why an Esquire sustains and rings a little better than a Tele: no neck pickup pulling on the strings in an Esquire.

Thanks all for the input. It sounds a little bit like trial and error. Fender recommends distances to the pickups but since these are hotter I didn't think those specs would be very helpful. As far as tone, I ran a .47 uf cap and a .01 uf treble bleed cap. I put tone control on the bridge and none in the middle position
    The bridge pickup with no tone seemed too bright for me. I run my Strat thru a Kendrick 2410 and it absolutely screams! I will mess with the pick up heights and see what happens. Thanks again
    Last edited by kend410; 05-25-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: mis spelling

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar

This is sort of off topic, but I always keep my Tele bridge pickup really high, in fact so high that my pick sometimes rubs it when strumming/picking. The bridge pup on my strat is also quite high. I've seen a couple people set their brudge pups low, which is complete lunacy in my mind.

Cool to know about string pull affecting sustain, thanks Lew!
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    It's also a factor (not the ONLY factor) in why Teles sustain and ring a little better than Strats: no middle pickup pulling on the strings in a Tele.
    So would you say that those Vito Bratta/George Lynch 80s super strats with hum in the bridge, nothing in the middle and a single coil in the neck will have noticebly better sustain than usual HSS super strats?
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    So would you say that those Vito Bratta/George Lynch 80s super strats with hum in the bridge, nothing in the middle and a single coil in the neck will have noticebly better sustain than usual HSS super strats?
    Never played one. But all other things being equal, I would guess yes.

For example, I have a bunch of single bridge pickup Strats with various Trembuckers as the bridge pickup and they all intonate better than my Strats with single coils. Duncan Trembuckers have less string pull than Strat single coils because the magnet is under the coils in a Trembucker or paf style humbucker and the magnets ARE the polepieces in a Strat single coil. IMO, the less string pull from the pickups the better the guitar will intonate and ring. As for how noticeable it will be, that depends on how sensitive the player is. I'm extremely fussy and hear and notice things alot of players don't. Lew

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I'm surprised you all are having this problem. I don't think I've ever noticed a volume drop when going to the notch positions. At least, not enough to take note.

Me neither, Artie. I'm sitting here with my Strat (Texas Specials) and as I go from positions 1-5, I don't notice a volume drop. I have the neck and middle set at 8/64" on the bass side and 6/64" on the treble side. The bridge pickup is cranked up a little closer with the treble side still a little closer to the strings.

Ultimate Tone Member veryhungrycaterpilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i prefer the neck and bridge high with the middle low
    Same with me.

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Me neither, Artie. I'm sitting here with my Strat (Texas Specials) and as I go from positions 1-5, I don't notice a volume drop. I have the neck and middle set at 8/64" on the bass side and 6/64" on the treble side. The bridge pickup is cranked up a little closer with the treble side still a little closer to the strings.
    Well, do you have an Invader in the bridge? you know, that could be the difference.
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    Well, do you have an Invader in the bridge? you know, that could be the difference.
    No, it's fully loaded with a set of Texas Specials. I've never had an Invader.

there is definitely a volume drop on standard Fender's PUs.
    Last edited by bop/fusion freak; 11-19-2019 at 01:15 PM.

It definitely happens on my strat. I was wondering if I could use a cap of some sort to keep the volume up?
    Last edited by bop/fusion freak; 11-19-2019 at 01:13 PM.

in my experience only on single coils together. I have a 3 PUs Les Paul SG 1964 reissue.
    I wired it to have 3 volumes and 1 tone, no drop at all.