Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: THE WELL: For Real This Time...I'm an Open Book

Default Re: THE WELL: For Real This Time...I'm an Open Book

I like Boston a lot. Sometimes I feel like the entire city is made of brick. I've always thought Boston is to England what Montreal is to France.

That is the lead-in to my next question: have you ever been to Montreal?

OK, I'm gonna say it... re: your prevoius avatar. Lawrence Welk?

"Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Using multi-quote for the first time. Look out!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    Keith,

What makes you tick?
    Here's a short list of things that make me tick:
    • Sushi
    • Walk-off homers
    • Telecaster > cranked BF Fender
    • Mostly sunny, 65ºF, wind 10-15 mph, 20% humidity
    • J.S. Bach's "Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor"
    • Blueprints actually printed on blue paper
    • The smell of chimney smoke
    • Hermann Hesse's short stories
    • Shakespeare's sonnets
    • Bub's Bar-B-Q
    • Quirky psychological thrillers and murder mysteries
    • Practicing foul shots
    • The weight of piano keys
    • Hugs from my wife and kids
    • Compression + Delay

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    Keith, what were your ambitions when you were younger, and what are they now?
    When I was a kid, I loved music and drawing more than anything. I actually had visions of rock stardom. Bands like Kiss, Aerosmith and Black Sabbath planted that seed early on.

Later on, I started playing a lot of basketball. I was small for my age as a kid, but I was quick and had a pretty good jump shot. With basketball, I had hopes of playing in high school, but ultimately I was just too small. I shot up to average height my junior year, but really it was too late by then -- the varsity squad had been well established.

Now, my ambitions are much different. I'm not looking for fame and fortune. I hope to be a great husband and father (and I think I am). I want to raise happy, confident kids.

I'd like to improve my guitar playing on many levels, and I hope to be part of a regularly gigging band. I'm hoping to find and hone my own sound, but I feel very. I love metal, blues, jazz, rock, chicken pickin' -- all those are fun to listen to and play, but are they really helping me find my sound? I hope I get it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by 9finger View Post
    I have 2 questions.

If you could go back and change one thing in your life what would it be?

and

Everyone has one guitar they let go of that they wish they would have never let get away. What is it?

It's 7:18 and I just got our 4 week old back to sleep. That's what I'm doing up this early.
    If I could change one thing in my life, I would've pushed for a quicker adoption of my ex-wife's oldest son. (Look back on an earlier post in this thread for details on that.) Barring that possibility, my second choice would be to have chosen a different major and career path. I have a degree in electrical engineering, and I work in information technology, but I wish I had pursued something like architecture.

As for letting go of a guitar, I honestly don't have one I wish I'd held onto. If I had sold my '86 Kramer Focus, I'd feel remorse for that today. I almost did sell that guitar, but I luckily changed my mind at the last minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Quote Originally Posted by bungalowbill View Post
    Keith, What are your strengths and weaknesses as a guitar player/musician?
    My greatest strengths as a guitarist/musician, by far, are my passion for music and my ability to learn music by ear. I really do have an excellent ear, and I don't often compliment myself.

My greatest weaknesses are my ability to focus and commit to a personal practice schedule. I also have a hard time buckling down and working on exercises or difficult passages, when it's so much easier to play (again) something that I already know and sounds good.
    I am just jug the merlot

Quote Originally Posted by Arkitkt View Post
    May I ask what software that is? I work with CAD software 75% of my workday and we just switched to something new.
    You betcha. The name of the software is SolidWorks.
    I am just jug the merlot

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Do you have a favorite guitar cable?
    Well, I suppose I'd have to go with Monster Cable, not because they're the best, but because I bought a bunch of them before I realized there were such differences among cable brands. Monster is all I know, and I'd rather spend money on other aspects of my rig before I spend it on replacing my guitar cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuss_Rock View Post
    Being a Boston man...

...Tea or Coffee?
    My body reacts poorly to caffeine. I take unsweetened iced tea with lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    What is your "go to" guitar hero-impress the chics/punks at a guitar center lick/riff/move?
    I don't think I have a move. I think I start most shows self-conscious and wooden, then as the adrenaline rises I start to loosen up and have better stage presence as the show progresses. I'm not one for flashy moves or impressive poses.

When I'm checking out a guitar at GC, I usually play parts of "You Know What I Mean" (Jeff Beck), "Hideaway" (Yardbirds) and "Write Me a Letter" (Aerosmith). They're a good yardstick for me to measure tone and feel on a guitar, and they're tunes the GC staff hopefully hasn't heard in the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    I like Boston a lot. Sometimes I feel like the entire city is made of brick. I've always thought Boston is to England what Montreal is to France.

That is the lead-in to my next question: have you ever been to Montreal?
    I went to Montreal and Quebec City on my honeymoon with my first wife. We only stayed in Montreal for two days, and I had just come down with a cold, so I have fuzzy memories of Montreal. Quebec City, however, was just beautiful. I can't wait to go back, and when I do, I want to spend a proper amount of time in Montreal on the way to QC.

Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    OK, I'm gonna say it... re: your prevoius avatar. Lawrence Welk?
    Yeah, someone posted Welk's pic in a thread a while back, and it really cracked me up. It was so kitschy that I had to make it my avatar, at least for a little while.

I'm a very visual person, so when I'm posting to a thread and addressing someone specific, I have their avatar in my head when I'm typing. I always think of PFDarkside, for example, as a guy who looks like Johnny Cash; I forget that he's a huge Pink Floyd fan. I know what Skarekrough looks like in person, but I still see his dog with those goofy socks on his ears when I think of Skarey. Does anyone else do that?
    I am just jug the merlot

BTW, sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys on this morning's questions. It's been a very busy morning for me, and Keira (out newborn) has been extra-fussy. Now I'm sitting in front of the TV, watching the Patriots kick butt, about to switch back and forth between that and the Sox game, and posting to you guys.

Keira's asleep.
    I am just jug the merlot

That raises another question: why is there no Bruins or Celtics logo in your avatar? Do you only enjoy boring sports?

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    That raises another question: why is there no Bruins or Celtics logo in your avatar? Do you only enjoy boring sports?
    Yes! Boring sports only. I couldn't find a team logo online for the Nantucket Chippers, 1998-99 National Tiddlywinks Champions. Big fan.
    I am just jug the merlot

sounds like you live a blessed life, i still think you look like dean cain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Quote Originally Posted by newking70 View Post
    sounds like you live a blessed life, i still think you look like dean cain....
    Separated at birth?

I am just jug the merlot

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar

What makes you go "Woah!" when you see a guitar you like?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

T, or A?

By that I mean, Tumbling, or Acrobatics.
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou

Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    What makes you go "Woah!" when you see a guitar you like?
    I tend to like the look of a well worn guitar. Look at guitars like Clapton's "Blackie," Roy Buchanan's "Nancy" or SRV's "Number 1," and you can tell those guitars have been loved. I especially like the look of a worn fretboard.

By the same token, I love super-clean guitars that generally have a solid-colored body. There are a few bursts I like, especially vintage cherry, but I don't like translucents or tiger striping. I'm also a big fan of the dotless fretboard on such clean guitars. I've got a real thing for gold tops.

Ultimately, if it's a guitar I can visualize myself playing, that's the key.

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    T, or A?

By that I mean, Tumbling, or Acrobatics.
    I'm definitely a "tumbling" man. While I dig nice "acrobatics," I find "tumbling" more of a turn-on.

That's what you were asking, right?
    I am just jug the merlot

Ultimate Tone Slacker DepecheMoses's Avatar

If you could have any three wishes, what would they be?

As a follow-up, do you think you'd be extremely disappointed if the jinne who was to grant these wishes decided to only grant your second wish?
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
    "The Panda Slayers" Thats a pretty sweet metal name. What's more metal than killing endangerd animals?
    I know a tattoo artist who has a sign in his shop that says "NO NAMES."

Your idea is like that, only x1000.
    dm.lj (I write songs--updated 10/8/09)
    Love,
    /Andy

What made you start playing guitar?

Sorry, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
    What is worst... the holocaust or putting a floyd on a Les Paul?

In my defense it already came like that and it sounds great after a few upgrades!

6 pages of well respected fun so far....glad to see this well thing is working.

What is the one question you are hoping to not get asked?

Do you have any advice for us young guys about guitar? about life?

Hypothetically speaking, somebody on this forum comes up with an amazing design for a sdugf tattoo--would you get it?

2 Qs:

If you could get a gift of getting the chops of one guitarist you love - to be able to play exactly like him (it's also a limitation) - who would it be?

Can you describe the signature tone you are trying to reach in words?

Quote Originally Posted by DepecheMoses View Post
    If you could have any three wishes, what would they be?
    1. Eternal happiness for all beings
    2. Eternal compassion among all beings
    3. Eternal health for all beings
    Quote Originally Posted by DepecheMoses View Post
    As a follow-up, do you think you'd be extremely disappointed if the jinne who was to grant these wishes decided to only grant your second wish?
    Since they're wishes, I'd be psyched to get even part of one of those wishes. Genies don't make their way around here all that often.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    What made you start playing guitar?
    Sorry if I sound like a broken record here. Ace Frehley and Kiss as a whole were a big musical influence on me when I was young. I always knew I wanted to be in a rock band, and the instruments that interested me the most were the guitar and the drums.

I got a plastic toy guitar when I was five or six, and I used to play Alive II (Kiss' second live album) over and over in my bedroom, pretending to be Ace Frehley with that toy. Eventually, when I was at an age when other kids in my classroom started taking music lessons -- this may have been around age nine -- my parents offered to start me on acoustic guitar lessons. My older cousins had an acoustic they never played, so they gave that to me. It was huge for a nine-year-old, which made it difficult to play. Add to that a woefully uninspiring guitar teacher and study curriculum, and you get one bored and frustrated kid. I don't think I lasted even a year doing acoustic.

Fast-forward to my freshman year of high school -- age 14. At the start of the school year, a new music store had just opened downtown: Mercuri Music. Just as interested as ever in rock music, I now had a place right in town to walk around and gawk at real electric guitars. (The other music store, where I took my guitar lessons, had more orchestra and jazz band-type instruments such as violins, clarinets and trumpets.) Up to this point, I'd never actually seen an electric guitar, with the exception of the electric one of my older cousins had but never let me touch. (I'm not so sure he touched it all that often, either.)

This music store didn't have what you'd call a vast array of fine musical instruments, but they did have an assortment of Cort guitars -- anyone remember these? -- as well as a few Fender Squires and one true Fender Stratocaster. The Strat always stood on a floor stand at the top level of this multi-tiered stage area they had toward the back of the store. It was positively majestic to any kid who walked into that music store. The store owners took to me quickly, as I'd ride my bike there almost every afternoon just to drool. They'd let me pick up and play (unplugged) that guitar a little bit every now and again.

A kid a few years older than me worked in the back of the shop, performing various odd jobs that included doing guitar setups. He took a liking to me and, having a couple years of guitar-playing experience under his belt, decided to teach me a few rock riffs. The riff I remember the most, and probably the first one he taught me, was the intro to "Working Man," off Rush's first album. He didn't just show me what notes to play, he also went into the nuances of playing that riff: how different the same note can sound when played on this fret of the sixth string versus this fret of the fifth string, how to add vibrato (both along the string and along the frets), how to get your hand from one part of the neck to another part without making crazy string noises in the process…that sort of thing.

For Christmas that year (1985, I believe), my folks bought for me a Cort guitar and Gorilla amp. It was cheap equipment, but it was enough to propel me forward. I learned by ear the opening riff to "Black Sabbath" (off their first album of the same name), and played that and the "Working Man" riff over an over again for a couple weeks (much to my family's displeasure, I'm sure.) My cousin taught me about harmonics one day shortly thereafter -- the same cousin who had that electric guitar I mentioned -- and showed me the opening riff to Rush's "Red Barchetta." Man, that was cool.

I eventually upgraded my short-scale Cort to a full-size Kramer, and my Gorilla to a Rickenbacker Road amp. (You can find a pic of the Road amp here. As I recall, mine seemed to have fewer knobs, though I could be wrong.) From that point forward, the guitar, the amp and my cassette player, along with a healthy collection of current and classic rock tapes, became my best friend. I quickly got to learning riff upon riff, song upon song, all by ear. I can't imagine a better way of spending those first couple years with my guitar.

Perhaps my response is more than you expected. Sorry 'bout that.
    I am just jug the merlot