Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83

Thread: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

  1. #1
    neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Ok I am getting tired of windows crap over the years. I am entertaining an idea of Mac's lab top. I am planing to use Lexicons Lambda, MassLite's line out direct to lambda most of the time. Q-base/easy drums etc. I am not looking forward to become a safisticated home recorder, just to use it as a tool for writing and communicating my style to future musicians to work with. Considering this, what would you say, Mac or PC?
    Thanks.
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

    BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

    50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

    JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

  2. #2
    TrippyVinylologist
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,208

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    With a laptop you will need a fast hard drive if your projects get into a lot of tracks.
    I have a Macbook with Ableton Live on it and a PC with Logic. The PC and Macbook work equally well, my PC is running XP that has been set up as a music work station.

    Ableton Live is a rock solid program and a very good price for the Mac.

  3. #3
    Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,997

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    With a laptop you will need a fast hard drive if your projects get into a lot of tracks.
    I have a Macbook with Ableton Live on it and a PC with Logic. The PC and Macbook work equally well, my PC is running XP that has been set up as a music work station.

    Ableton Live is a rock solid program and a very good price for the Mac.
    +1

    Look into an external harddrive and upgrade the RAM after getting it (Apple charges way too much for RAM). I'd personally go with something other than Ableton Live if you want to collaborate with other people actively, as the only people I've met that really use Ableton use it in a live application. Logic, Cubase, and ProTools are the most used DAWs.

  4. #4
    neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

    BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

    50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

    JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

  5. #5
    Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,997

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?

    If you know how to take care of a PC and have it dedicated to recording, it'll function as well as a Mac will.

  6. #6
    neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
    If you know how to take care of a PC and have it dedicated to recording, it'll function as well as a Mac will.
    I am the ultimate newb for home recording, does that mean the start will be easier on a Mac?
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

    BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

    50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

    JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,997

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    I am the ultimate newb for home recording, does that mean the start will be easier on a Mac?
    It might be, but if you've already got a decently powerful system and weren't planning on buying anything new, I wouldn't bother.

  8. #8
    GumbyLoveologist wahwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,190

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Logic Pro 8 on a Mac is a very efficient system. +1 to what the guys said about having a faster drive for audio tracks. I've never used a PC for recording, but I have friends who are using them semi-professionally, they just had to learn how to strip back all of the superfluous stuff that came with Windows to make their system dedicated for recording. Once they did that they had no problems. However, I've never known anyone to go back to PC after extensively using a Mac. There's bound to be somebody, but I haven't met 'em! Spend some time with Logic Pro 8 and I doubt you'll be thinking about Cubase.



    Cheers............................wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/


    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

  9. #9
    Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,997

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by wahwah View Post
    Logic Pro 8 on a Mac is a very efficient system. +1 to what the guys said about having a faster drive for audio tracks. I've never used a PC for recording, but I have friends who are using them semi-professionally, they just had to learn how to strip back all of the superfluous stuff that came with Windows to make their system dedicated for recording. Once they did that they had no problems. However, I've never known anyone to go back to PC after extensively using a Mac. There's bound to be somebody, but I haven't met 'em! Spend some time with Logic Pro 8 and I doubt you'll be thinking about Cubase.



    Cheers............................wahwah
    Meet me! I went back to PC after a year of using my MacBook exclusively, because it was more cost effective to build my own DAW than buy a Mac tower.

    I also went from using Logic to Cubase, and I know of a few others. It's all about what you're comfortable on. If you start with Logic, chances are that unless you get heavily involved in the industry and swap to PT, you'll stick with Logic for a long while.

  10. #10
    GumbyLoveologist wahwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,190

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
    Meet me! I went back to PC after a year of using my MacBook exclusively, because it was more cost effective to build my own DAW than buy a Mac tower.

    I also went from using Logic to Cubase, and I know of a few others. It's all about what you're comfortable on. If you start with Logic, chances are that unless you get heavily involved in the industry and swap to PT, you'll stick with Logic for a long while.
    Yeah, I can understand that using just a MacBook, especially if it was a G4, would present certain limitations that would make the customized PC more attractive. Also, I'm talking about Logic Pro 8, not previous versions. It's well worth a look. But yes, it's certainly a case of finding what you're comfortable working with. I'd love to use Pro Tools, but not at the expense of using the cheap versions of Digidesign or M-Audio hardware and giving up my Metric Halo! The expense of an HD system is what draws the dividing line between the home recordist and the professional studio operator.



    Cheers.............................wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/


    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

  11. #11
    TrippyVinylologist
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,208

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Logic 8 is fantastic for the money too. I'm a long time Logic lover.

  12. #12
    Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,997

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by wahwah View Post
    Yeah, I can understand that using just a MacBook, especially if it was a G4, would present certain limitations that would make the customized PC more attractive. Also, I'm talking about Logic Pro 8, not previous versions. It's well worth a look. But yes, it's certainly a case of finding what you're comfortable working with. I'd love to use Pro Tools, but not at the expense of using the cheap versions of Digidesign or M-Audio hardware and giving up my Metric Halo! The expense of an HD system is what draws the dividing line between the home recordist and the professional studio operator.

    It was an Intel Core Duo, but yeah, still pretty limited when I started processing more heavily.

    As much as they improved Logic 8 over Logic 7, they didn't fix the one things I had the most issues with, hyper editor and drum programming, which renders it fairly useless to me, considering that programming drums is vital to my workflow.

  13. #13
    Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    273

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    To be honest, I love GarageBand on the Mac. It is easy to use even without the manual and does a good job. I was seriously impressed, and recorded a song while on vacation using that program. It did a nice job and so I'm hoping to soon migrate our entire house to the mac.
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

  14. #14
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,853

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Yeah.. honestly a baseline mac with garageband is all you need for home recording.

  15. #15
    neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    All I want the best representation of my Laney AOR tone from line out of MassLite, sometimes I might have 3 guitar parts to record, and i want good representation of drums tone wise, all I want to do for now is to record the very basic structure so that when I am looking for drummers, singers, bassplayers I can send them a CD or they can download it and learn the piece if they like it and come in and play it.
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

    BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

    50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

    JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

  16. #16
    TrippyVinylologist
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,208

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Good sound is going to be related to how you get sound into the computer, a good interface and a intel Macbook with Garageband would work well.

  17. #17
    Mojo's Minions Bludave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    9,035

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?
    Macs come with Garage band. For what you said in your original post your not trying to do anything to sophisticated Garage Band will do what you need. For Microphones and Acoustics you will need a preamp of some type. you had mentioned the Lambda. I would recommend a MBox. The Mbox comes with Protools LE and if you plan on doing more sophisticated projects outside of your home system, protools will be more accepted in pro studios.

    I am not a pro in the Studio by no means, but the limited items I have done, mainly acoustic guitar Garage Band worked fine.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

  18. #18
    Super Toneologist AmirH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?
    Not 100% true... PC's are certainly capable and waaay more cost effective for what you can get(though a student discount helps tons) but Macs still have some advantages. For one the the audio engine in tiger is a bit cleaner than anything windows based- not a huge difference(your interface will have a far greater impact) but a difference nonetheless. Secondly, osx is quite a lot more stable. A dedicated recording pc basically means you don't touch the internet. Macs are also a touch more streamlined toward audio editing out of the box.

    Example? My saffire pro was having all sorts of crazy popping when running in windows and none in osx. The culprit(thanks jeff for helping me figure that one out) was my wireless internet card. For whatever reason windows treats firewire as a network device. NEVER had weird quirks like that in osx- just worked immediately.

    That said- for the price difference it's still more worth building a beastly pc unless you can throw down for a G5.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

  19. #19
    Mojo's Minions J Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NYC metro/USA
    Posts
    5,238

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    All I want the best representation of my Laney AOR tone from line out of MassLite, sometimes I might have 3 guitar parts to record, and i want good representation of drums tone wise, all I want to do for now is to record the very basic structure so that when I am looking for drummers, singers, bassplayers I can send them a CD or they can download it and learn the piece if they like it and come in and play it.
    You could do that with a standalone box too... Get a Yamaha or Tascam porta-studio with a CD burner.

    Mac's have little to nothing on PC's these days... not like it was 5 or even 10 years ago. Biggest "gotcha" with any computer based recording system is to keep it off the interknot but much more true with PC's then Mac's.
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

    Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

  20. #20
    Kyuss_Rockologist Rich_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    UK
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,831

    Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

    Quote Originally Posted by wahwah View Post
    Logic Pro 8 on a Mac is a very efficient system. +1 to what the guys said about having a faster drive for audio tracks. I've never used a PC for recording, but I have friends who are using them semi-professionally, they just had to learn how to strip back all of the superfluous stuff that came with Windows to make their system dedicated for recording. Once they did that they had no problems. However, I've never known anyone to go back to PC after extensively using a Mac. There's bound to be somebody, but I haven't met 'em! Spend some time with Logic Pro 8 and I doubt you'll be thinking about Cubase.



    Cheers............................wahwah
    Agreed. That new logic is very cool. I just need to upgrade to a mac that will run it now!

    I like Macs, but it will take a little time to adjust from Windows. It will become second nature quickly though. I have real trouble working a Windows machine now... which probably says more about my mental capacity that it does about the wonder of Macs, but they are great all the same.
    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •