Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

Default Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
    Meet me! I went back to PC after a year of using my MacBook exclusively, because it was more cost effective to build my own DAW than buy a Mac tower.

I also went from using Logic to Cubase, and I know of a few others. It's all about what you're comfortable on. If you start with Logic, chances are that unless you get heavily involved in the industry and swap to PT, you'll stick with Logic for a long while.
    Ahhh, There`s no need to swap to PT even if you get heavily involved in the industry !! My future setup will be mac,logic pro 8, x-logic (ssl) converters and UA,duende and some waves plugs,i know for sure this`ll be much more flexible for future upgrades than the whole digidesign PT hd gremlin will be !

Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar

I will say one thing about the PC/Mac thing, though. A mac is nice, but it's the BMW of the lineup, if you know what I mean. One can build an equivalent windows or linux based machine for less, but you get what you pay for
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TwinReverb View Post
    I will say one thing about the PC/Mac thing, though. A mac is nice, but it's the BMW of the lineup, if you know what I mean. One can build an equivalent windows or linux based machine for less, but you get what you pay for
    We've spent this entire thread for the most part debunking this myth... it's simply not true.

We've spent this entire thread for the most part debunking this myth... it's simply not true.
    I don't see it. Mac is better, don't get me wrong, but if you know what you're doing and what you want, you can do cheaper than the Mac if you try. And it can be cheaper if you do it right. Think mini-itx cheap board, linux, expensive high-end sound card, and all non-fan hardware to boot. You can have a very silent very efficient machine. Check out this link posted in 2004 on a guy who records in a basement using such a machine.

However, the mac will win in interface and software. If I was going to choose between the two, I'd get a mac. All I'm saying is that you can go cheaper than a mac. Considering most modern macs are almost totally built on top of PC hardware: intel processor, intel-based hard drive controller. So far (if you read the Hackintosh sites) the only obstacle to make a PC identical to a Mac is the BIOS.

And yes, I am fully aware of Mac's reputation. I'm a musician and my wife is a graphic art and design major in college. We both want a mac
    My Website || My Music
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

I don't see it. Mac is better, don't get me wrong, but if you know what you're doing and what you want, you can do cheaper than the Mac if you try. And it can be cheaper if you do it right. Think mini-itx cheap board, linux, expensive high-end sound card, and all non-fan hardware to boot. You can have a very silent very efficient machine. Check out this link posted in 2004 on a guy who records in a basement using such a machine.

However, the mac will win in interface and software. If I was going to choose between the two, I'd get a mac. All I'm saying is that you can go cheaper than a mac. Considering most modern macs are almost totally built on top of PC hardware: intel processor, intel-based hard drive controller. So far (if you read the Hackintosh sites) the only obstacle to make a PC identical to a Mac is the BIOS.

And yes, I am fully aware of Mac's reputation. I'm a musician and my wife is a graphic art and design major in college. We both want a mac

That's all fine and dandy, but you can still get a PC to run just as, if not more stable than a Mac, if you know what you're doing.

I don't really need to be schooled on Mac vs PC hardware and whatnot - I've been a cross-platform user for the past year and a half, and have built a fair share of DAW dedicated PC's. I can honestly say that the hardware I used to build my stuff is in many ways superior to Apples... I actually think they make pretty craptastic hardware, and I know I'm not alone there.

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

A PC can be really powerfull if it's dedicated only for music...No Internet ,No networking ,No Wi Fi ,No Tv cards or whatever ,Just soundcard ,maybe some outboard DSP/Plug-in hardware to connect ,a master Keyboard and a Great Graphic card/Monitor. Two Fast Hardrives.One for the system ,the other one for the Recordings...
    Keep the Housing as small as possible ,get fan-less Graphic card...And a liquid cooling sysem.Cubase 4 is extreme good ,and with maximm 10 plug-ins ,you are set for everything...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Marinblues's Avatar

I've only used Windows so I know no better. I suppose that is the key to happiness.

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

Ok guys you are really freaking me out now, with the dedicated no nothing PC. That was not in my plans. I was thinking of getting Lexicon Lambda, and upgrading my PC with more memory/better drive or getting a mack and run recording on it as well as everything else ... cant be done?
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

The mac could be used for other stuff with far fewer issues. Wouldn't dream of using a pc unless it was dedicated.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by AmirH View Post
    Example? My saffire pro was having all sorts of crazy popping when running in windows and none in osx. The culprit(thanks jeff for helping me figure that one out) was my wireless internet card. For whatever reason windows treats firewire as a network device. NEVER had weird quirks like that in osx- just worked immediately.

FWIW, and in Windows' defense, this is only a problem with machines that have the wireless card on the same board as the Firewire port... AKA only a couple laptops, Apple included.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    Ok guys you are really freaking me out now, with the dedicated no nothing PC. That was not in my plans. I was thinking of getting Lexicon Lambda, and upgrading my PC with more memory/better drive or getting a mack and run recording on it as well as everything else ... cant be done?
    No?
    My Singal:

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Mac or PC... it's really best to 'dedicate' a machine to audio. Just a few weeks ago I was working at a home studio & the one guy had a G5 tower with a 002, Toolz LE... LOTS of other junk on the desktop & screen savers running etc. We couldn't get more then 14 or 15 tracks and a handful of plug-ins to run at 88.2 without crashing, locking etc.

Bad news all around. That system is/was capable of much more then it delivered.

That may be enough for you... maybe not.

For several hundred dollars you can get a standalone Tascam or Roland porta studio with a CD burner and have NONE of these headaches to deal with...
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Mac all the waaaaaaaay...drooooools

j/k

I'm a PC nut and so will I remain
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Quote Originally Posted by J Moose View Post

For several hundred dollars you can get a standalone Tascam or Roland porta studio with a CD burner and have NONE of these headaches to deal with...
    Can you recomend any?
    My Singal:

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Dude has a point: some sound stations with CD burner drives are cheaper and more easy to use / efficient than a computer, be it mac or PC.
    My Website || My Music

Dude has a point: some sound stations with CD burner drives are cheaper and more easy to use / efficient than a computer, be it mac or PC.
    How about using Q-base/Cakewalk/Ezy-drums etc on those things?
    My Singal:

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

I was just pointing out that, assuming you do not own a computer, or your computer needs replacement or major upgrades before it can record, sometimes a stand-alone unit from Boss, Roland, etc, many makers, will do an excellent job recording, and for less. For example, This is only $349 and burns 8 tracks live (or 64 tracks total virtual) to CD. That's actually quite enough for any live garage band to burn with. My friend has a $2300 unit that was a gift, but it will also burn to CD, and run sound, and it is awesome.
    My Website || My Music

You don't/can't use programs like them on porta-studios. That's the whole point.

Never used this one but it'll probably do everything you've always wanted...

http://tascam.com/details;8,16,35.html

A lotta people like the Roland VS recorders too... lots of stuff out there. Go visit a music store.
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

dreamonologist

I took a course on Cubase (Mac based). I absolutely hated it. The controls were incredible anti-intuitive because they did so much in the name of making it "user friendly". I'm loving cool edit pro though (Windows). It's very straight forward and transparent. Every engineer I've worked with has used Protools though.

Ultimate Tone Slacker hanumanlangur's Avatar

I can honestly say that the hardware I used to build my stuff is in many ways superior to Apples... I actually think they make pretty craptastic hardware, and I know I'm not alone there.
    +1.

IMO, it's hard to beat a good PC workstation with a high-end audio interface and fast hard disks. For an OS, I prefer Linux, but I don't expect everyone to jump on that boat anytime soon.

A Mac is similar to buying a pre-built PC from the local Circuit City. It's manufactured without any regard to what sort of applications it will be used for.

But for the love of god, do not buy a PC with Vista on it, to use as your DAW. If you do, you might as well kiss your performance goodbye.