Likes Likes:  0

Thread: JP wiring project: checking the diagrams

hermetico

Default JP wiring project: checking the diagrams

Hi Electronics Wizards,

I am close to facing my first JP wiring project. Based on the Vault diagram, I did the following wiring diagram, and I would like to check it with you before to do the work.

Normal JP wiring, where volume pots are dependent (that means that turning down one of them will shut up the guitar):

Hot wires are coulored orange, 'cold' wires are coloured dark blue. Pickup white wire is coulored light blue.
    As a diference from the vault diagram, each groud wire of each pot is soldered to the shell of the DPDT switch of that pot and then, from every DPDT shell, a ground wire will be thrown to the common ground point.

Since I prefere the idea of having independent volume controls (when turning down the neck vol, only the neck is shutted up...). I think, the diagram can be the following one:

Please, let me know if this last is OK.

Other questions:
    - Is there any other way to implement those caps, without having to solder them from one vol lug to one tone lug?.
    - what's the preferable 'common ground point'?
    - Do you know if it is also recommendable to shield the pickups, pots and switch cavities, in the same way as it is being done with strato guitars?.
    Last edited by hermetico; 02-10-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Re: JP wiring project: checking the diagrams

I think that looks ok. I thought that alternate drawing was already in the vault. If not, here it is again:

http://www.neighborhost.com/images/J...wiring_alt.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermetico View Post
    Other questions:
    - Is there any other way to implement those caps, without having to solder them from one vol lug to one tone lug?.
    Sure. Just replace the cap with a wire. Then move the cap to that blue line that you have going from the left lug of each tone pot to ground. It doesn't matter whether the cap or pot comes first, as long as the tone control is a pot and cap to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by hermetico
    - what's the preferable 'common ground point'?
    I use the sleeve lug of the output jack, but I think that might be more difficult on an LP. Its not really critical inside a guitar. Just find whatever works for your soldering skills.

By the way - Its Jimi Hendrix . . . Jimmy Page.

hermetico

Quick and accurate answer, as ever. Thank you, Artie.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I think that looks ok. I thought that alternate drawing was already in the vault. If not, here it is again:

Yes, my diagram was based on this one. I am only making it easer to my understanding. In that way, I can easily map the pickup wiring coulors without affecting the rest of the diagram.

Sure. Just replace the cap with a wire. Then move the cap to that blue line that you have going from the left lug of each tone pot to ground. It doesn't matter whether the cap or pot comes first, as long as the tone control is a pot and cap to ground.
    Ok, thanks. Will do that in a further diagram. Then, I will also put here same diagram with Dimarzio wiring for whichever who can need it.

I use the sleeve lug of the output jack, but I think that might be more difficult on an LP. Its not really critical inside a guitar. Just find whatever works for your soldering skills.
    Ok

What about shielding?

Unfortunatelly, only the wiring is, not the hands.

What about shielding?
    This is an area where I'm definitely not the forum expert. A lot of it is because I don't play "live", so I don't run into shielding problems, so I haven't really investigated it much.

Hopefully, someone else who knows more about this will chime in.

hermetico

Artie, comparing that alternate diagram in the vault with mine, I see a clear diference. You said me that to obtain the independent volumes mod, I needed to swap EVERY wire between lugs 2 and 3 (right) in every vol pot. So, that's what I did and that includes moving the cap from right lug to center lug.
    In the alternate wiring on the vault, the cap is still linked to the right lug.
    What's the right one?

Good catch. While I didn't actually intend to leave it that way, it can be done either way. Here's the deal:

If you connect the tone control to the lug that comes from the pickup, you have a normal tone control. If you connect the tone control to the lug that goes to the 3-way, you have the 50's mod. Doesn't matter which of the two ways to wire the volume control. It works out the same.

The only possible consideration is, if you use the alternate way to wire the volume controls, and then use the 50's mod also, when the 3-way is in the middle, both tone controls remain active even if you roll one volume pot all the way down. That might be a consideration when choosing which way to go.

hermetico

Good catch. While I didn't actually intend to leave it that way, it can be done either way. Here's the deal:

If you connect the tone control to the lug that comes from the pickup, you have a normal tone control. If you connect the tone control to the lug that goes to the 3-way, you have the 50's mod. Doesn't matter which of the two ways to wire the volume control. It works out the same.

The only possible consideration is, if you use the alternate way to wire the volume controls, and then use the 50's mod also, when the 3-way is in the middle, both tone controls remain active even if you roll one volume pot all the way down. That might be a consideration when choosing which way to go.
    Well... hum... I'm lost.
    What I really wanted is to have independent vol controls for each pickup.
    What could be the way, then?

Well... hum... I'm lost.
    What I really wanted is to have independent vol controls for each pickup.
    What could be the way, then?
    Have more faith in yourself. Your 2nd diagram is exactly correct. You saw what needed to be changed and you changed it.

Shoot . . . you don't even need me.

Wire it up and enjoy. Let us know how it sounds.

Is it better to have audio or linear taper pots, cause I know that the SD diagram says linear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Sammler View Post
    I don't have an ignore list. I'm not arrogant enough to think I can't learn something from people who annoy me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    This is the dumbest thread that's ever been on this forum. It makes this place look like a bunch of damn idiots. Just run this place into the ground why don't you. You're like a bunch of 12 year olds. This thread is sooooooo DLT'ish that it's pathetic.

hermetico

Ha ha, now I've got you. Very polite. I already changed the title.
    In any case, they both are my prefered guitar players.

Have more faith in yourself. Your 2nd diagram is exactly correct. You saw what needed to be changed and you changed it.

Shoot . . . you don't even need me.
    That isn't true. I FOLLOWED EXACTLY YOUR WORDS, I really didn't SAW anything. I will still need you in any further project.

In any case, if this one (now Jimmy Page, not Jimi Hendrix/Page) is the right one for what I need:

Then, If I understood well your words, this other is an alternative way of wiring the caps:

And I prefere this last, because if I wanted to change the caps, I don't need to 'break' the hot wiring between the vol and tone pots. The cap substitution can be made without affecting the rest of wiring.
    Last edited by hermetico; 02-10-2008 at 03:30 PM.

hermetico

And here, DIMARZIO version, for anyone that can needed it (as it will be my case):

alternate caps wiring:

Last edited by hermetico; 02-10-2008 at 03:41 PM.

hermetico

LAST QUESTION.

I am planning to do the wiring with 2 DM VPAF.
    If someone have experience with those pickups, what are the best CAP VALUES?

Did you finally get it done? How does it sound?

hermetico

Quote Originally Posted by guitarboyled View Post
    Did you finally get it done? How does it sound?
    I finally didn't.
    I went first with two of my own diagrams:

I checked first this one:

And my conclusions were that, it could be a very interesting one if your pickups are both P-Rails. When talking about regular PAF-like humbuckers, it really makes not sense. To loose the series/parallel option and out-of-phase doesn't worth to have the 4-sounds for each pickup. It is enough to choose between Humbucker/split or Humbucker/parallel.

So, I also checked this one:

So, I still have the 4-sounds for each pickups (BUT both having same selection at same time. When split-outside, both pickups are splitted outside, and so on).
    The series/parallel and OOP switches are there as in the JP one.
    My conclussion with this one is quite similar to the other.
    I found more interesting the JP approach, that is, to select independently humbucker/single coil for each pickup and make the mix in the middle position to your taste.

Additionally, I found more interesting the series/parallel option in humbuckers having their coils wired in parallel than in regular humbuckers (coils in series).

So, I am pretty sure, the JP wiring is the best option for regular humbuckers. I didn't did it because I just sold the guitar after the second wiring, I purchased a Prestige Heritage Elite and, she is so nice that I am afraid to do her some damage while trying the JP wiring.
    If I don't sell the Prestige, this will be for sure my next wiring: the JP as described in this thread.

Is the link you posted from the vault a schematic for the standard jimmy page wiring or the mod that makes both volumes independent?

Secondly, where is the vault?