Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Well XVIII: What's that Lassie? XSSIVE's in the well?

Default The Well XVIII: What's that Lassie? XSSIVE's in the well?

yes, every time i read the post titles with "the well..." all i think of is that line from the TV show Lassie LOL.

bring on the questions!

all i ask is steer clear of the morbid stuff please. that will tell you something about me right off the bat, i hate talking about death!

-Mike

Default Re: The Well XVIII: What's that Lassie? XSSIVE's in the well?

Which of your clones was the hardest to part with?

Mr. Ray Charles sang a tune about my beloved state being on his mind.

Are you ever going to post a picture so we know what you look like? LOL!

I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

I know you've owned quite a few guitars and cars...

Any of them you miss in from time to time?

Any you wish you wouldn't have sold?
    DayGlo

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!

What do you credit for giving you the unique aesthetic sense that you have. I see the influences from the hotrod scene obviously, but which ones are not as obvious.

lpmarshall: #004 the kandy pink one. that had a Wayne Charvel made 1pc mahogany body and that color was so cool in person! one day i may do another one in that color.

VIBROLUX: odds are....no...lol. i much rather be behind the camera than in front of it. i'm way too critical of pictures of myself, even more so than pictures of other things i take and to this day i can't remember a picture of myself i actually liked.

3'scompany: i don't really regret selling anything but i do certainly miss some cars and guitars now and again. te cars more than the guitars for sure. as mentioned to lpmarshall the pink clone was tough to let go of. however i don't want any of the stuff i've sold back, when it's time to move on it's time to move on. the car i miss the most was my 2002 SLP package Camaro SS car #6416

that thing was so much fun, 6spd tranny, 345hp and 355tq, SLP intake and exhaust, eibach lowering springs, short shifter, t-tops...man i miss those, so much cooler than a sun roof.

that's my biggest regret of anything i've ever sold and now that i think about it it's the only thing i'd want back given the chance and one i wish i kept a bit longer. however part of me looks at it as it is, a 6 year old car now. not a classic, or anything just an old car. so i'm better off without it....but man was it fun.

my next car may be the new Camaro SS since going to an SUV might not have been a wise choice for me and man is driving and auto tranny car boring. my Nitro R/T is the first auto tranny car i've had since my first car and i forgot how little fun it is to drive and not shift.

-Mike

Gr8Scott: i pull ideas from everywhere. i was at first an art history major then a graphic design major which is what i got my degree in. so i've been to more art classes than i'd like to remember lol. so things from the art world like pop art...love warhol and lichtenstein's work for example, comic book style art too, classic paintings and the out there stuff. then as you said, hot rods, i'm a car junkie more than a guitar junkie. i love all things automotive from rat rods, to hot rods, to customs and muscle cars and even imports. same goes for motorcycles. i'm also picky as hell with EVERYTHING from clothing, to cars to guitars and am detail obsessed. a bit literally also since i used to do pro auto detailing for exotics and show cars. i'm also not scared of crazy colors, i'll play a pink guitar or a yellow guitar, i'll wear orange chucks with yellow laces. also a great quote i read a long time ago has stuck with me for a long time... "never hesitate to steal a good idea." i take this and move the idea around. if i see a car at a show with a color i like i'll "steal" that color and paint a guitar that way. i saw loads of relic guitars and rat rod cars so i made a rat rod pedal. i also know my roots in all cases from cars to guitars to music and am not trying to re-invent the wheel when it comes to my Clones...hence the name, i'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking they are Charvels they're just what i say they are Clones. i take my own ideas of what i think works better and what looks better and add it to a classic design.

and now i just rambled on and possibly way off topic lol. but i get ideas from everywhere is the simple answer.

-Mike

what do you think about sfumato?

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!

Great response. Thanks.

subanots: what do i think about the painting technique sfumato?? hmmmmm well, being that i like pop art and that comic like art i tend to like hard lines and vibrant crazy colors which in a way is the opposite of sfumato. however in realism i guess you can say it's almost necessary to create just that, a realistic painting with natural shades and lack of a hard edge. so what do i think...i guess i like it lol. you honestly through me for a loop with that question and it felt like i was in a time warp and not paying attention in the back of one of my art classes freshman year of college and got called on hahaha.

-Mike

lol

-How's work? anything cool to show?

-favorite fonts?

-name 5 album covers that have heavily influenced you.

-it's pretty common for us designers to be very picky over everything aesthetic, and whenever I see peoples' gear photos I get the sense that most internet guitar dudes seem happy to let the wife do the home decorating. How about you?

-sneaker preferences?

-I finally got my delay pedal back. Still looking to figure out 'hot love'?

-I'm heavily influenced by Ed Van Halen's asymmetrical stripes, pops up in my work all the time. Ever notice the similarities to the work of Malevich? -are there any famous guitar graphics that have influenced you?

-what would you most like to be able to play?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Godfather of Unholy Metal Distortion Luís's Avatar
    I'm at you forum, un-tarding your system!

OCDologist? What's behind that?

Pet peave?

Pets?

If you could meet anyone, what prank would you pull on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by threechordcharlie and ratherdashing
    TCC:What happened to LSP?
    RD:A question friends and school guidance counselors have been asking for years.

hot_grits: work...slow, freelance sucks at times. i need a "real" job lol, ya know a 9-5 with a steady pay check. here is the latest Mirabella Guitars ad i did (photos and design)...

even though it's a print ad i did it in a web 2.0 style with shades of browns, stripes, simple font and round corners which everyone is abusing these days hehehe. i always go for clean and simple with my stuff and it seems to work for me.

favorite font...hmm, none jump to mind since i tend to pick a font based on the work i'm doing. if i can get away with something a bit crazy that's always fun like i did for my own logo for my site www.1320designcompany.com

5 album covers that influenced my work...ya know, i don't ever remember taking an idea from an album cover now that i think of it. odd, my ideas come from all over but i can't think of an instance where something came from an album cover that i realized was from that cover. not that it's a bad idea since there are some great ideas on covers, i just never looked to them for ideas for some odd reason.

home design...well, i'm still a basement dweller living with the rents hehehe. i have what's pretty much my own apartment down here so i haven't been in any rush to leave. plus i don't want to live alone and at this point have no one i'd want to live with. anyway, that doesn't mean i didn't do the design down here because i did. even picked out the couches! i actually just re-did my entire basement. i wasn't going to post pics 'til the painting (screen print actually) i got goes above the TV/computer monitor but what the heck i'll just post a new pic when it's up there.

so here is my den as it is now, pre painting above the TV...

oh and going above the TV will be my favorite work of art and yes it's pop art!

sneakers...man i'm a sneaker whore lol. for a straight guy i have a sick obsession with shoes...mostly sneakers...so here is my current sneaker collection...this is just the sneakers not the shoes and boots...

my favorites are chucks and shelltops.

heck yeah i still want to learn "hot love"! never could grasp Reb's style thus why he's one of my favorite guitarists, nutty tapping and whammy abusing animal he is lol.

you think Ed was thinking Malevich when he striped up the first guitar??? i never thought of that...never gave the stripes that much thought to be honest. i just figured he wanted to stand out lol.

what woulkd i most like to play...in general, better lead. i need to get out of the box a bit more. for a guy who loves 80s metal and metal in general i have a very blues based lead playing style which does work for me but tends to hold me back at times since i can't shred but can only bust out a quick line here and there or a repeating pattern at some crazy spead. as for songs, anything Jake E Lee wrote. i've become quite obsessed with his playing style and all i've been listening too lately is bark at the moon, ultimate sin and badlands. hence my orange chucks with yellow laces...stole that idea from Jake hehehe.

-Mike
    Last edited by XSSIVE; 02-24-2008 at 03:34 PM.

LSP: OCDologist came from Scott, i went on a pedal binge a long time ago and bought like 7 pedals at once and a new board and just re-did my whole set up and Scott dubbed me OCDologist lol. although i honestly do think i have a bit of OCD because i'm very obsessive over details when it comes to certain things and i am certainly excessive when it comes to lots of things...see sneaker collection above lol.

pet peave...hmm, don't really have one that comes to mind however i do hate stupid people in general lol..i guess that's a pet peave. i also hate when people respond to threads on any forum giving info on a topic they know nothing about. i see that way too often but usually just close the thread before i blow a fuse and rip into the person haha.

pets...i have a dog which is a champion show dog...my mother's hobby was showing him, not mine. i just taught him all his bad habits hahahah. his name is Beau and he's a briard like Buck from Married with Children...

in the past i've had a sheepdog named Daisy, another Briard named Boomer,a Chinchilla named Chester, my brother had an 8 foot boa named Jake, i had some hampsters too at one point, a few birds and a few fish. right now it's just Beau though but he is soon to be mated and we should get one of his sons which i'm psyched for....already trying to decide on a name.

meet anyone and pull a prank...i'm not a big prank person however it would be funny to swap one of my Clones for a famous players Charvel giving them no choice but to play my Clone live lol.

-Mike

Looking for Real Life drew_half_empty's Avatar

how can i make as much money as you?

for real
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    metal zones are for pussies.

drew: uh, i don't know. go to school, get a good job? i could use a good steady job, things have been slow lately for me.

-Mike

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Which do you think is real, and why?
    Bigfoot
    UFO's
    Loch Ness Monster

If you HAD to buy a Les Paul -what kind & color?

Ferrari or Lamborghini - if you had to choose?

Favorite scale?

Amusement factor of Lesstrat's puns - rated 1-10 (1= shoot me now, 10 = Can't wait for the next!)

Most important relationship tip for everyone?
    Last edited by Aceman; 02-24-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by XSSIVE View Post
    you think Ed was thinking Malevich when he striped up the first guitar??? i never thought of that...never gave the stripes that much thought to be honest. i just figured he wanted to stand out lol.

-Mike
    Yeah, it's more a similarity than any link. I don't imagine Ed's much of a modern art guy, though I could be wrong. I made the connection when I saw a collection from the Steidlich (sp?) museum and Van Cherone on the same weekend. Malevich and Ed are both dutch, though...

-What's the ultimate superstrat for you? for me it's Ed's frankenstein, though for an attainable 80s nostalgia guitar I'd probably prefer a maple board Baretta of a Charvel model 2...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Aceman: of the 3, since i've watched TV shows on Bigfoot and Nessy i'm not sold on either of them. as for UFOs, if you mean aliens in general or just life outside of our planet earth i'd have to go with yes. there's so many planets out there and odds are even more past the ones we can see so there must be something alive out there. it may just be a tiny slug like thing that lives on some distant planet, who knows. i'm not sure about actual UFOs and little green or grey men flying them though but something must be alive out there aside from us.

i own two les pauls now and have owned 3 others. i'm not against them, they just don't fit me very well and i'm not a fan of Gibson the company. i have always wanted a maple neck, maple board black custom though. picture that silly camo finished zakk wylde les paul but with an all black top and back with all black hardware and pickups...that would rock!

ferrari or lambo...i pick porsche! hehehe. i guess lambo, in some crazy color like lime green or orange, of the two though.

favoritie scale...i don't honestly have one however Aeolian was the first to come to mind as i read the question.

i thought we weren't supposed to go into things about other members in the well?

relationship tip...don't trust her. i've been burnt far too many times to ask about that stuff lol.

-Mike
    Last edited by XSSIVE; 02-24-2008 at 08:28 PM.