Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar

Default Re: The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

What's your favourite note on the guitar, and in what position?

England or New Zealand in the 1st Test???

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    What's your favourite note on the guitar, and in what position?
    (picks up tele)...it's between A on the d string, 7th fret and C on the g string, 5th fret. Today, at least...

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    England or New Zealand in the 1st Test???
    um, New Zealand? -I'm not very expert on cricket these days, though I enjoyed watching and playing it as a kid. Haven't we got this new fat bloke who is quite a good opener? -brings to mind David Boone...

I try and keep all sport watching to football, in an attempt to not turn into one of those dudes who will watch anything with a ball in it and perhaps get more stuff done. And there's enough football as it is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Have you ever gotten it on with an Aborigine woman?

Have you ever gotten into surfing?

Where is the most innapropriate place you've taken a leak?

If you lived on the fringes of society and had to live as a career criminal, how would you make money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Have you ever gotten it on with an Aborigine woman?
    If, by 'aborigine' woman, you mean Maori, then yeah. I've slept with a Maori woman, and part Maori, part european (nice mix). My very small sampling in the area suggests they like things a bit more physical than other women.

Have you ever gotten into surfing?
    A tiny bit as a teen. Stood up on the board once.Can totally see why dudes get into it. Plus we have some great surf down here.

Where is the most innapropriate place you've taken a leak?
    Well, when I was about 18 I was arrested on my first NYE away with the lads for taking a leak on the front fence of a stranger's house. I was drunk and didn't see the cop coming.

If you lived on the fringes of society and had to live as a career criminal, how would you make money?
    Well, I'd be a terrible drug dealer. Perhaps car conversion? (there's an in-joke for anyone who REALLY knows me)...
    Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-03-2008 at 05:28 PM.

guest1234

Quote Originally Posted by Hot _Grits View Post
    Yeah, I'm drawing a blank. My girlfriend hasn't heard of him either, and she's very extensively read. Maybe his success isn't well known down here?

Is it good stuff? -my tastes are more in the literary fiction area: Rushdie, Delillo, Kundera etc...
    I think Corporate Blue came out a few months ago. The Second Favorite Son is a historical fiction novel about the Confederate States had they won the American Civil War. The plantations have now given way to corporations. It's set in current times.

Corporate Blue is about an air traffic controller working in a small town airfield, and the corporation attempting to take them over.

I don't believe he has had much success at all really. As he still teaches air traffic control classes as his main gig.

Quote Originally Posted by chopstherocker View Post
    I think Corporate Blue came out a few months ago. The Second Favorite Son is a historical fiction novel about the Confederate States had they won the American Civil War. The plantations have now given way to corporations. It's set in current times.

Corporate Blue is about an air traffic controller working in a small town airfield, and the corporation attempting to take them over.

I don't believe he has had much success at all really. As he still teaches air traffic control classes as his main gig.
    That first one sounds interesting. I remember reading a cool book as a kid about what would have happened if Goering had kept bombing the airfields during the Battle of Britain, and the Germans had eventually invaded Britain in 1941. I'd love to read that again, but I have no idea what the title is...
    Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.

How's the music scene over there? Is it possible to make a living solely from playing/performing and not have a day gig?
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

PinkElephantologist

Quote Originally Posted by J Moose View Post
    How's the music scene over there? Is it possible to make a living solely from playing/performing and not have a day gig?
    It's tough. You can pretty much tour everywhere in two weeks. For example, our nationwide winter tour for July will probably be about 10 gigs, and that hits all the main centers and about half of the gig-viable towns. People do make a living at it, but a lot of big names still have day jobs or really have to hustle and be active and flexible. There are a couple of acts who literally play everywhere with a hall, which would be a very cool thing to do...

But the scene is very good for the size of the country, and local government, radio and the general population are very supportive. There's a broad range of music, and lots of cool scenes. Some great singer-songwriters, a lot of good reggae and dub bands, plenty of cool indie bands, some decent extreme metal acts... A bit of everything, really.
    Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-03-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    haha!

THIS is the best Tui ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmJE...eature=related

-The bloke with the handlebars is my good mate Dunc, AKA Dunc Tha Funk.

Here's his best ad work (this is pretty much what NZ was like when I was a kid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhVqVYUsoVs

Now, to answer your question, out of those three, Speights. But I'm a more of a Montieths or Macs guy.

Hey, M ...

since we have similar taste in gear, I'll ask:
    Do you think you'll get a '65 Amp?
    "music heals"
    facebook

An excellent Well so far H_G, a very interesting read indeed. You have, to this point, managed to successfully conceal your thinly veiled love and deep respect for all things Australian. I was a little disappointed in your lack of support for the NZ national anthem, I always thought it was a catchy little number, especially that chorus section that goes "Her love shines over my horizon, she's a slice of heaven..." and that "Na, Na, Na" bit.

Now, on to my question.

You're on one of those rare deserted islands which happens to have a generator. (Actually, for a Kiwi, that won't require too much in the way of imagination!) You are allowed one amp, one guitar and one pedal. What would you choose to take, in each category?

Chur Cuz................................wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Hey Martin,

What is your most embarrasing moment?

What is your favourite main course?

What is your favourite dessert?

Are you familar with New Zealand's Gale Chan?

Who is your favourite Australian band of all time?

What country would you love to visit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    Hey, M ...

since we have similar taste in gear, I'll ask:
    Do you think you'll get a '65 Amp?
    When I can afford it.

I blew my wad getting the Victoria, and it'll be a long time before I buy another high-end amp. I'll be building a tweed princeton this year, so if that goes well, the next projects will be a JTM45 and an EL84 amp. I could feasibly make a London, but I can't buy the exact iron, so I don't know how close I could get...

If you could have any superpower what would you want to have?

What about a power that you would hate to have/find utterly useless?

What's one movie that should be required viewing for all?

favorite character? (question is vague on purpose...choose whoever/whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by wahwah View Post
    An excellent Well so far H_G, a very interesting read indeed. You have, to this point, managed to successfully conceal your thinly veiled love and deep respect for all things Australian. I was a little disappointed in your lack of support for the NZ national anthem, I always thought it was a catchy little number, especially that chorus section that goes "Her love shines over my horizon, she's a slice of heaven..." and that "Na, Na, Na" bit.

Now, on to my question.

You're on one of those rare deserted islands which happens to have a generator. (Actually, for a Kiwi, that won't require too much in the way of imagination!) You are allowed one amp, one guitar and one pedal. What would you choose to take, in each category?

Chur Cuz................................wahwah
    Probably my Vic Double Deluxe with 2 G12H30s and modded to add reverb and trem. If that's a bit big wattage-wise (maybe the natives are restless), I'd go with a Swart AST.

Pedals? -I'd probably go for an all-in-one unit like the blue Boss thing. Is that cheating? -Multi units aren't my thing, and to a certain extent pedals aren't either, but it'd be nice to have some other sounds for variety.

For a guitar, I'd probably take an alder bodied relic tele with a fat neck, jumbo frets and a flattish radius. A tapped bridge pickup would be nice for a couple of output options. But my tele or reverend would do just fine.

Now I think about it, a boss loop station would be a cool thing to take...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    What is your most embarrasing moment?
    Wow, too many.

I always cock up some important part of a song when my band is being filmed for TV. that's always fun.

My big sister still tells people about me doing breakdance moves in my seat when she took me to see Breakdance 2: electric boogaloo.

I was in a tutorial class at uni, and was given job of note taker in a group consisting of three girls and myself. I was absent-mindedly doodling while the group discussed stuff. There was an embarrassing silence when I realised everyone was staring at my doodles: what appeared to be a very large pair of breasts. That went down well.

I can't tell you how many times I've started a solo in the wrong key or accidentally stomped on my tuner or left it on.

I also did lead vocal duties at a gig. That was pretty horrid for all concerned.

What is your favourite main course?
    I'm a sucker for a rare eye fillet. I'm going to go with the eye fillet, stir fried lettuce, salt and pepper oyster fritter, sichuan jus from a local restaurant called Rice.

What is your favourite dessert?
    ice cream. most types.

Are you familar with New Zealand's Gale Chan?
    Nope. Who is she? -I do know about Wing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmijZ...eature=related

Who is your favourite Australian band of all time?
    AC-DC. Especially early stuff. I like lots of Aussie bands. Right now, I dig the FEEEENGER.

What country would you love to visit?
    So many places. I plan to head to Britain to visit Anfield stadium in Liverpool before they pull it down. I'd love to get over to the states, meet some forum bros and try A LOT of amps.

Top of the list would have to be Spain. I'd love to spend some time there.
    Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-04-2008 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustWendell View Post
    If you could have any superpower what would you want to have?
    I'm torn between invisiblilty and flying. Both of those would be too cool. Maybe invisibilty from the waist down and a bit of a hover. Come to think about it, invisible from the waist down would look like I hover. Maybe waist up...

What about a power that you would hate to have/find utterly useless?
    I have lots of those!

What's one movie that should be required viewing for all?
    On this forum? -This is Spinal Tap.

in general: Monty Python's Life of Brian.

favorite character? (question is vague on purpose...choose whoever/whatever)
    Basil Fawlty. or The Dude. My Dad's a bit of a character, too.
    Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-04-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Manchester United > FC Bin Dippers
    "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Quote Originally Posted by brisk View Post
    Manchester United > FC Bin Dippers
    1977:

1978:

1981:

1984:

2005:

Now run along and munch on a prawn sandwich.