Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Once You Go Tube Never Go Back?

Tommyologist

Default Re: Once You Go Tube Never Go Back?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyPage View Post
    I agree. I borrowed one for a practice one time. The clean channel is amazing sounding, and the gain channel on it is one of the best I've ever heard, clean or ss. Just thick, fluid, not buzzy.

If I could find one I'd sell a tube amp to purchase it.
    I've used Princton Chorus's, Ultra's, and Ultimate Chorus amps for years... i found an Ultimate Chorus used last year for $250.... it's reverb died within a few days of having it but the store repaired it and it's back in action... then the amp started shorting out... again the store repaired it.. i'm glad they fixed the issues as it has been a while since i had seen one for sale... i love using that amp again... I never liked the DSP versions, the analog Chorus and Reverb is the way to go... i have my eyes open for another one if it's cheap..

TheProphet

Just an observation on the club/bar scene and amp wattage.

Most bands I've hung out with show up with just a mic for the singer.

Most PA's that bars have are not really well setup for vocals and their amps are not able to compete with the guitarist's 50-100w setups. With most of the bands here, all you can here is the guitarist (maybe the drummer) and the singer is drowned out.

My other soundguy gripe is that guitarists forget that the louder they crank their amps, the greater the high end frequencies (especially on most tube amps) come through. They forget to dim the highs on their EQ, and everyone else gets to listen to icepick tones. And lets face it, no0 guitarist likes having the soundguy touch your amp in any way.

Something to think about is that the big mean soundguy might be a guitarist also, but has a clearer listening post, and has a better idea of what the overall mix needs to be.

Just an observation.

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Just an observation on the club/bar scene and amp wattage.

Most bands I've hung out with show up with just a mic for the singer.

Most PA's that bars have are not really well setup for vocals and their amps are not able to compete with the guitarist's 50-100w setups. With most of the bands here, all you can here is the guitarist (maybe the drummer) and the singer is drowned out.

My other soundguy gripe is that guitarists forget that the louder they crank their amps, the greater the high end frequencies (especially on most tube amps) come through. They forget to dim the highs on their EQ, and everyone else gets to listen to icepick tones. And lets face it, no0 guitarist likes having the soundguy touch your amp in any way.

Something to think about is that the big mean soundguy might be a guitarist also, but has a clearer listening post, and has a better idea of what the overall mix needs to be.

Just an observation.
    That is a very valid observation. I was at a show where the opener was an instrumental band (Pelican) and the sound guy got it right so much I felt like smooching him. The next band, not somuch. Circa Survive is not my fave band, and I'd never heard them before. I honestly wanted to punch the sound guy in the face it was so off. By the time Thrice came on tho, it was dead perfect.

Back on topic, I love tube amps, my neighbors, not so much. I have my first all tube combo right now and due to my playing schedule, I might use it once a wk or 2. I have a little VOX cambridge combo I bought used on the bay that is a decent ss amp, but the second I plug into the orange I wanna smack myself. In conclusion: if volume is not an issue: tubes>SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?