Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How important is that name on the headstock after all?

BrandNewGlossologist Diocletian's Avatar

Default Re: How important is that name on the headstock after all?

I can't stop wondering in all this....what the hell is a jalapeno popper fart?

I know what you're saying, but your post is from the head. If I had the cash, say if I won a million on the lottery or something like that, I'd think from the heart. It'd be Gibson Les Paul's and USA Jacksons all the way.
    That kind of, sentimental, emotional feeling is what the big companies rely on. It makes them millions every year - just look how fast the Gibson Slash model sold out. You can't tell me it's much better than the Epiphone version. But rich dudes will pay for the Gibson version just because HE PLAYS ONE and it's a Gibson.
    The fact they won't play it, so it sits in a cupboard earning money, is by-the-by.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    Now that is a different matter. That's not a straight strat/Les Paul/SG type copy. It's a different design.
    I would be perfectly happy playing that.

The name only comes into the equation I think when it's a Les Paul/SG/Strat copy you're talking about.
    That's a Strat copy alright, just with a twist or two (I see the shorter pickguard, the pu ring and the semi-rear routing plus the top)
    It's the Yamaha Pacifica top of the line.
    Here's how the rest of them look:

I actually like Yamahas, it's just that their price no longer follows their quality, at least not here where the Yamaha local dealer (Nakas) is the equivalent of Guitar Center...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    I can't stop wondering in all this....what the hell is a jalapeno popper fart?

I know what you're saying, but your post is from the head. If I had the cash, say if I won a million on the lottery or something like that, I'd think from the heart. It'd be Gibson Les Paul's and USA Jacksons all the way.
    That kind of, sentimental, emotional feeling is what the big companies rely on. It makes them millions every year - just look how fast the Gibson Slash model sold out. You can't tell me it's much better than the Epiphone version. But rich dudes will pay for the Gibson version just because HE PLAYS ONE and it's a Gibson.
    The fact they won't play it, so it sits in a cupboard earning money, is by-the-by.
    I think some kind of (Mexican?) food? You gotta ask Odie for more, I just liked the way he put it
    EDIT: OK, here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Jalapeño poppers are jalapeño peppers that have been hollowed out, stuffed with a mixture of cheese, spices, and sometimes ground meat, and then battered & deep fried. They are usually served with some kind of dip as hors d'œuvres at restaurants and bars.
    so I guess I was about right
    Now if you meant about the "fart" part, I think it's obvious that it meant the results of eating them would have to your bowel...

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Me, if I had all the money in the world I'd probably order a ridiculously pimped out Suhr Strat or two, maybe ask the Jackson or the Schecter custom shop for a neck-thru Soloist-style superstrat, all three electric Taylors (man, are those guitars GOOD!!!) and probably ask from Tom Anderson and/or PRS for the total LP goodness, custom style...
    It's about not getting sth and wishing it was sth else and there's no better way than to ask the masters to MAKE one ESPECIALLY for you just the way you like it!!!
    Last edited by KeeperOS; 05-08-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Super Toneologist Blue_Fingers_Jay's Avatar

Well my main guitar is an SX Strat does this answer your question?

I don't care about the name on the headstock because I don't buy a guitar without playing it first. Sound and feel that's all it matters to me.

In fact I preffer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.

Well my main guitar is an SX Strat does this answer your question?

I don't care about the name on the headstock because I don't buy a guitar without playing it first. Sound and feel that's all it matters to me.

In fact I preffer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Oh, I like the sound of that so...

if you ain't got in in your fingers, what guitar you play won't make a difference..imo anyways
    Guitars:
    JT200c les paul copy( jazzn,59n b);
    MIM Fender Sunburst Strat.
    Gibson Lp Standard cherry burst.
    Traynor YCV-50 Blue

Life is too short for bad tone…

Tommyologist

i play tons of part mutts as well as some better stuff... everything from odd ball Squier necks on old Peavey bodies, and assorted imported stuff i pieced together... i've never worried about the headstock names on those... never will..

but i do find some better quality specs on top Name Brand guitars over imported copies most of the time.... that being said most of my 22 axes are imports...

Super Toneologist Blue_Fingers_Jay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeeperOS View Post
    Oh, I like the sound of that so...
    Man am I "special" today, only now I realised you put it on your signature

Thanks man. I'm honoured.

Thank you man for the quote

It really says it all

Please remember that no matter how good a non expensive guitar is or how bad an expensive guitar is..........It's what other people think that matters !
    So if people are impressed by Gibson or Fender , then buy one of those brands. Remember it's not what you think that counts or matters....It's what other people think that matters. !!!!!!

It doesn't have to be a "real" Gibson or "real" Fender for me....it has to be a real Vigier

I love my Yamaha SA2200..it's the best sounding guitar I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Quote Originally Posted by wanmei1 View Post
    Please remember that no matter how good a non expensive guitar is or how bad an expensive guitar is..........It's what other people think that matters !
    So if people are impressed by Gibson or Fender , then buy one of those brands. Remember it's not what you think that counts or matters....It's what other people think that matters. !!!!!!
    You jest sir.

But my view on it? Everything is about the shape and sound of your tone if you are serious about playing guitar. A strong value on image has you choosing looks or name over sound. I've NEVER liked the les paul style guitar... but I bought one. Its heavy, fairly uncomfortable, and has poor upper fret access. But it has the sound I need for certain things. And if you can squeeze amazing tone out of a cheaper instrument then more power to you. Sound.....isn't that what matters?
    Last edited by Rowan; 05-09-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Yep!

BTW, latest news, hot off the press:
    Here's a couple rounds of Guitar Jeopardy:
    Player: Guitar Gossip for a 100 Alex:
    Trebek: Where are the lower end Gibson guitars with Made in the USA actually made?
    Player: Erm, what is China?
    Trebek: China is CORRECT!!!
    Player: Again Guitar Gossip for 200 Alex:
    Trebek: For 200, what does Made in the USA actually means?
    Player:Oh that's easy; What is, the guitars go in parts (including necks and bodies) in the US where they are assembled and setup...
    Trebek:Correct again, what an amazing performance!!!
    Trebek:Now for bonus round, what are the popular models that fall in that category?
    Player: What is, Gibson LP Standard and below Alex?
    Trebek:AMAZING, that is correct!!!

Nice huh?
    Yeah, nothing beats a Gibson...

Yep!

BTW, latest news, hot off the press:
    Here's a couple rounds of Guitar Jeopardy:
    Player: Guitar Gossip for a 100 Alex:
    Trebek: Where are the lower end Gibson guitars with Made in the USA actually made?
    Player: Erm, what is China?
    Trebek: China is CORRECT!!!
    Player: Again Guitar Gossip for 200 Alex:
    Trebek: For 200, what does Made in the USA actually means?
    Player:Oh that's easy; What is, the guitars go in parts (including necks and bodies) in the US where they are assembled and setup...
    Trebek:Correct again, what an amazing performance!!!
    Trebek:Now for bonus round, what are the popular models that fall in that category?
    Player: What is, Gibson LP Standard and below Alex?
    Trebek:AMAZING, that is correct!!!

Nice huh?
    Yeah, nothing beats a Gibson...
    Incorrect. There are no "true" Gibsons made outside of the USA borders. By true, I mean, with the Gibson logo by Gibson, not the fakes seen all over eBay. All real Gibson electrics are made in Nashville or Memphis. I may not be the biggest Gibson fan, but I will stick up for them on that.

I heard that directly from a guy "from within".
    The guitars are typically "Made" in the factory but those lower end ones (he said the Standard, I'm guessing at least the Faded line) always according to him apparently are simply assembled there...

Can't vouch for that but it does appear that way when comparing quality.
    If that's untrue then, well, that's one more reason to NOT have respect for their MiA build quality...

I'm calling BS on what he said. I think you got taken for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    +1

As for the thread in general- It really depends for me

there are some guitars with "lowly" names- which are indeed GREAT guitars- Old MIJ Squier's??? They kick the crap out of alot of higher $ strats!

Heck back in the late 70s and through the 80s, most of the MIJ stuff was seen as "inferior"-now look at the collectors market. People realize how stupid they were then, and how much better those MIJ guitars are compared to modern "imports"

And there are certain brands, regardless of how well built they are or where they are built , that just don't sit well with me due to prior bad experiences.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Dunno man, I don't see a reason for him to be badmouthing them but I'm in no position to insist either so I'm putting this in the "Take with a grain of salt" category...

The name on the headstock give me a good idea of what to expect when I pick up a given instrument. That's about it.

Dunno man, I don't see a reason for him to be badmouthing them but I'm in no position to insist either so I'm putting this in the "Take with a grain of salt" category...
    Let me ask you this. Do you know this person personally, as in he lives there in Greece, or is it someone through another forum that you never met before?