Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: latest, greatest things you've done to improve yer TONE

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

Default Re: latest, greatest things you've done to improve yer TONE

Quote Originally Posted by Hot _Grits View Post
    and with an amp this good I don't have any excuses. If I play badly, it's not the amp...
    Wow Grits,
    No you just must to think that I am an amazing player because I have exactly the same attitude and I play just a cheap looking Laney AOR.
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    Wow Grits,
    No you just must to think that I am an amazing player because I have exactly the same attitude and I play just a cheap looking Laney AOR.
    Haha, not so much amazing as blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMike_II View Post
    dude what am I lookin at in that bottom pic?

I see Brad's certificate of pure golden goodness, and I see something red

what is zinky here?

explain yerself immediately
    I second this motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Skarekrough

Quote Originally Posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    I second this motion.
    ....don't encourage him....just dig up the old thread.

MetalMike_II

Re: latest, greatest things you've done to improve yer TONE (skip to the bottom if you want to cut to the chase and not read all this crap)

all kinds of wrong things. I do not recommend any of you try these things. Laugh if you want, I know what I'm doin. I ain't tryin to play or sound like you or that other guy, or even that famous guy.

to preface: now then, I love my Van Halen guitars. Love them. The Ernie Ball EVH sig is my blonde mistress, the Wolfgang hardtails are still the finest guitars for me that I've ever played for my styles with the exception of metal. Oh, they do mike-metal great--great--but I knew I could get a guitar that was more *made* for metal. So I traded 2 other guitars and a bunch of pedals I don't use anymore for an Ibanez Prestige with a Full Shred in it and the new Edge Zero trem. I've made 18 threads about this guitar, so I won't bore you again about the details of the axe. But it is the secret ingredient that makes all the wrong things below come together in a cohesive metal solution.

The wrong things, after using my ears:

1. crappy guitar. Everyone *knows* Ibanezeses are teh suck and make "turdy" sounds. Basswood isn't a "real" tonewood. Take a ride to hushy-town you. This guitar is teaching me things and pulling me in new directions.

2. super low action. Now yer just being foolish Mike. May I direct you to Chef's chocolate salty balls? Suck them.

3. cranked the resonance and bass on my 6505+. But Mikey! That's a recipe for amp farts! But, no. My G-Flex 412 can handle it. Especially when it's fed by a Full Shred.

4. no overdrive pedal in front. But yer amp won't be as tight! Hush, little baby, don't say a word.

5. cardinal sin: cranked the gain all the way. Yeah. On a 6505. Oh noes. Mikey honey, you can't do that. It's way too fizzy and flubby and bad and everything. Guess what? No it's not. I repeat: it snot. My amp, my gain knob. So there. 'Snot.

The result: best, clearest, smoothest, most beautiful metal and hard rock tone I've ever had from practice volume to approximately band rehearsal volume (if no PA). Treble, Mids, Presence all on 5. Smooth, warm, crispy, all in the right places. I have my grunt, my chunk balls, my legato single note lines. Chords are rainbows. The major 3rd grind is like a Star Wars sound effect.

From a guitar with one pickup, one knob, zero switches. I can roll the volume knob back and get into all kinds of territory, changing nothing else. The Full Shred is so magical, it lets me emulate neck pup tone with the volume knob. When switching from rhythm to lead I don't have to step on anything or flip any switch. Maybe a .5 difference with the guitar's volume knob for this, that, and/or the other thing. I can blend my rhythm and lead stylings on the fly much quicker and mix them up less consciously. The volume knob lets me do the middle-ground tones also. The Clapton thing, the blues-rock thing, the slightly overdriven-clean thing, all kinds of things that I don't want to categorize or label. Most of the time, the knob is at 9-9.5. Need a "lead boost" for a wailing bend? It goes to 10. 8 for a cleaned up (but high gain) articulate note flurry. 7 for this, 6 for that, 4-5 for the other thing, 3 for yadda yadda etc. Controlled feedback, whatever.

Plugging in my main Wolfgang and changing nothing else was surprisingly nice, too. (No way, impossible--Shhh.) But with this one, I do have to start backing off the gain a little, the presence a little, and the resonance a little more as I turn the amp volume up. With the Ibanez, not as much. My G-Flex 412 can handle a lot of bass and resonance and gain, far more than any other cab I've tried. It's another secret ingredient to being able to get away with doing all the above "wrong things".

Why the attitude Mike, if yer so happy? What, have you never read one of my posts? C'mon I'm just playin' with you. But for each item above, if I I've heard it once, I've heard it 50 times that I'm not supposed to do any of them.

So:

Re: latest, greatest things you've done to improve yer TONE

got a "metal" guitar and cranked those fudgin knobs even though I'm not supposed to. Yes, if i get really loud, I need to start turning knobs down, but the gain is still way higher than it used to be. (Oh no! Mr. Bill!).

Ultimate Tone Slacker xxxplorer's Avatar

Played a cranked marshall... every little flaw in my playing was amplified... time to practice!!!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Jackson Distortion's Avatar

Fixed my action. Was wonderin' why my amp sounded flat. 'twas the guitar.

Mojo's Minions Petrovsk Mizinski's Avatar

Started turning down the gain to only half for rhythm tracks. Sounded heavier and clearer than with full gain. Turn down gain 25 per cent for leads, again clearer and made me work just that bit harder on legato with the result being more left hand strength.

Unseen

Frankly....I stopped thinking about it all together.
    I turns knobs til I get what I need and play...
    No worries...no wasted time spent on speculations.....

1. switched to an open back cab
    2. switched to a much smaller open back cab with 1 speaker in it instead of 4
    3. switched to a single high-power Eminence, vice the usual Celestion suspects

wow. The biggest difference since I bought a 5150. Everything is just more how I want it. It is so much different and better in terms of what I've been trying to do! My playing is going off and tripping out! Really sensitive speaker, too (swamp thang). Everything is clearer and deeper, yet smoother and punchier. Nuances and harmonics and happy notes like plump mice. Playing is a lot of fun right now. Big fan of Avatar and Eminence all of a sudden.
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

HA! Interesting thread to bring back. Let's see, what have I done lately?

-Found an amp that's "not as good" as my Bogner but is a better fit for me and my style, personally.

-Been using .010-.052 sets instead of .010-.046

-Writing and rehearsing with little/no effects to make sure I use effects for enhancement first and writing tools second - sometimes cool effects inspire stuff but more often than not I'm inspired by the sound of a loud hot tube amp.

-I'm waiting on a pedal or two that will likely give my amp a good kick in the pants.... just enough to take it over the top.

Ultimate Tone Slacker woemoejack's Avatar

experimenting with different pickups
    totally rethinking how I've always EQ'd my amp
    gotten back into playing every day

I played with something that RatherDashing has had his hands in.

It was hot.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar

-I removed the Boss pedal(s) from my signal chain.
    Now my signal is clearer and more punchy.
    No more Taiwan Tone Suck. AKA Roland Signal Robber.

-Re-introduced my V1 Dano TOD to boost my GH50L. It offers the major chunk and thump that my other OD pedals weren't delivering with that amp.

That's about it for now.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

bought a compressor - smoothing out the levels in my clean single line parts

turned the amp's clean channel volume up and turned the guitar's volume down

got a guitar with P90s
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Replaced my pots and caps with Super Pots and modern caps from rsguitarworks.net.
    Wow, what a difference!
    Widow - "we have songs".
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Funkfingers

Bought a 2006 Gibson LP Standard P90 limited edition Goldtop. (Three guitars with P90s was not enough!)

Less focus on gear, more focus on chops.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

^ Less focus on Chops, More focus on gear.
    Seriously..I'm way to focused on Teh Absolute Tone to even play anymore.
    Waaay to busy researching amps effects, pickups, parts etc. etc..
    Its got to be correct right down to the Picks.
    No time for playing, people!!!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

"latest, greatest things you've done to improve yer TONE"

That must be sleeping for 8 hours. Rare but works. It fixes so many things besides my tone.