Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I dont understand full stacks

Default Re: I dont understand full stacks

ha! U know I dont understand kiss, sunno, stoner rock bands, or any band such as led zeppelin or the who...they all use 4x12s ha! my love of my favorite musical equipment - my ears; the fact that I cant fit a 4x12 in my car; and the fact that there arent many good 4x10 cabs for hard rock pushes me in the direction of the 2x12; and Ill be able to push the amp more without milking the hotplate.

I took my girl to see Maroon 5 on Friday night, and the Guitar player had THREE 3/4 stacks of Matchless amps and cabs behind him. The singer, who also plays guitar, had FOUR full stacks of Marshall amps and cabs behind him.

It would have been impressive had it been Pantera or Metallica, but THIS WAS MAROON 5!!! And the whole show was going through the PA anyway!!

[ LP Standard G0 ][ SG Standard R2 ]

BFahz

Check this guy out - his tone is impeccable, and I wonder if these stacks of Marshalls in any way help to inspire his awesome playing...

http://www.youtube.com/user/riffguy?ob=1

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Dude View Post
    ha! U know I dont understand kiss, sunno, stoner rock bands, or any band such as led zeppelin or the who...they all use 4x12s ha! my love of my favorite musical equipment - my ears; the fact that I cant fit a 4x12 in my car; and the fact that there arent many good 4x10 cabs for hard rock pushes me in the direction of the 2x12; and Ill be able to push the amp more without milking the hotplate.
    If you love your ears why make yourself deaf? Pete Townshend invented the Marshall stack. And now he's almost deaf.

Jeff Beck? Eric Clapton? All in similar straits with similar hearing difficulties.

Why do that kind of violence to yourself when those who have passed the same way you want to go have permanently hurt themselves by losing their precious hearing?

Lew
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-16-2008 at 08:07 AM.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3th3r View Post
    I took my girl to see Maroon 5 on Friday night, and the Guitar player had THREE 3/4 stacks of Matchless amps and cabs behind him. The singer, who also plays guitar, had FOUR full stacks of Marshall amps and cabs behind him.

It would have been impressive had it been Pantera or Metallica, but THIS WAS MAROON 5!!! And the whole show was going through the PA anyway!!
    That guy (Adam Levine) is a monster of a guitar player --- overlooked because he's a pop vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    If you love your ears why make yourself deaf? Pete Townshend invented the Marshall stack. And now he's almost deaf.

Jeff Beck? Eric Clapton? All in similar straits with similar hearing difficulties.

Why do that kind of violence to yourself when those who have passed the same way you want to go have permanently hurt themselves by losing their precious hearing?

Lew
    Paul Gilbert has his ears pretty much shot too.

Hence why earplugs are a must for me at rehearsals. Yeah, some ex bandmates gave me funny looks while I was putting them on like "What a f@&" but hey, my ears weren't done after rehearsal and theirs were. So who wins?
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post

Lew
    thanks - that is pretty straight up

my professor was in rock bands in the 60s and they had those big reverb boxes - one day the boxes crashed and his ears were nearby and he lost his hearing - ever since it has been hard for him to sing in key...not cool...his recordings are good but it is hard for him to stay on pitch...

I definitely dont want to go the way of the dodo bird or anything...I think too much is too much

1/2 stack at the most...I've watched a guy with a 2x12 combo get told to turn down while I later ran my Music Man HD-150 through a 4x12 on the same stage, and asked the soundguy if I was too loud...he said no. Too loud is too loud whether one uses a full stack or a 1x12 combo.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

we saw them a couple years ago, i dont remember the amp setup, but they were way heavy, like sabbath heavy. also had beards, big shaggy ones.

we left confused.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar

i saw zz top last year for the 3rd time and billy had 6 heads and 12 cabs. not all set up as half stacks though... He had 2 heads on either side of the stage with 3 4x12s 2 with 2 2x12s and 2 with 1 4x12 looked cool! not sure if they were all working lol.

I dont know im fine with my 2x12 and 1x10 setup with a mic on the combo and the line out of the line 6... but thats just me i guess. its portable and practical.

Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Dude View Post
    All music requires a bottom heavy guitar tone, which you won't get out of some p*ssy 2x12.....

Sometimes bigger doesn't have to be louder.... it's all in how you dial in your tone.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Quote Originally Posted by screamingdaisy View Post
    All music requires a bottom heavy guitar tone, which you won't get out of some p*ssy 2x12.....
    It's crap like this that makes me ashamed to be a guitarist sometimes.

MY full stack is actually more of a medium stack......

Celtic Edana (JTM45)
    Marshall 1966A (2x12)
    Marshall 1965B (4x10)

24" x 24" & much easier to move around, sounds phenominal & huge, and still looks BAD A$$ !!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    +1. Bottom heavy can be achieved with 2x12 sooo easily. I can play live gigs with my 25 watt mesa with 2x10. I once plugged it into a 2x12, and it was even bigger sounding. I had a half stack a few years back. I can say, if you know what you are doing, you can sound heavy with smaller amps, and get as much bottom heavy tone.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Quote Originally Posted by screamingdaisy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    I agree. That's just a stupid assessment to make. Our bass player once asked me to dial back the bass on my amp because it was a little much. Guess what, it's a closed-back 1x12.

If anyone wants to play a full sounding that can be bottom heavy 2x12, try an Avatar.

I hear the Ear Candy BuzzBombs have more chunk than a lot of 4x12s.

So does the Port City Wave 2x12

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

Just because you can get a heavy, bassy tone with a 2x12 doesn't mean you can't get a HEAVIER, BASSIER tone with a 4x12.

This is a silly debate because we have blues guys and punk guys and pop guys comparing their rigs for their styles to heavy metal and stoner / doom guys talking about their rigs.

What i mean is, your "heavy enough" or "pretty bassy" is my "too clean" or "not shaking the fillings out of my teeth."

The only time i was totally satisfied with my tone was when I was running my bassman into two 4x12s and jumping the channels into a 200watt Peavey bass combo with a 15" in there. The tone was huge, warm, and enveloped everything around it.

When I moved back down to a 4x12 and then a 1x12 and 2x10 like I'm using now, it's just sounded progressively more like a guitar in a box as i move down. It works, sure. It sounds good, it sounds like a guitar. But it's not the monolithic apocalyptic doom tone that inspires me to play my best.

Different strokes for different folks. If giant doom rigs make you ashamed to be a guitarist, don't go to doom shows. Stick with pop punk and the blues.
    Last edited by Empty Pockets; 09-19-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Just because you can get a heavy, bassy tone with a 2x12 doesn't mean you can't get a HEAVIER, BASSIER tone with a 4x12.

This is a silly debate because we have blues guys and punk guys and pop guys comparing their rigs for their styles to heavy metal and stoner / doom guys talking about their rigs.

What i mean is, your "heavy enough" or "pretty bassy" is my "too clean" or "not shaking the fillings out of my teeth."

The only time i was totally satisfied with my tone was when I was running my bassman into two 4x12s and jumping the channels into a 200watt Peavey bass combo with a 15" in there. The tone was huge, warm, and enveloped everything around it.

When I moved back down to a 4x12 and then a 1x12 and 2x10 like I'm using now, it's just sounded progressively more like a guitar in a box as i move down. It works, sure. It sounds good, it sounds like a guitar. But it's not the monolithic apocalyptic doom tone that inspires me to play my best.

Different strokes for different folks. If giant doom rigs make you ashamed to be a guitarist, don't go to doom shows. Stick with pop punk and the blues.
    I like it, sigged!! Im part of the "sig empty pockets" crew!

Im considering doing my stoner rock/metal/hard rock with a mesa recto 2x12 in the not so near future cause thats what I can get away with considering all relevant factors; I figure I could also coax decent "woman tones" out of it

Its possible that they weren't plugged into all of them. Maybe its just visual effects, I've seen that sort of thing before. But really I don't think you'd need more than a half stack unless you're playing outdoor festival type venues.

I just saw Umphreys Mcgee in Austin and they were running through 2x12s in a very big venue and still sounded huge.