Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: I dont understand full stacks

Default Re: I dont understand full stacks

Quote Originally Posted by tc View Post

Full stack = Small penis.
    In that case, I must have a vagina.

Toneologist

I'll admit full stacks have their place. For medium or large sized theaters, a half or full stack would be great or maybe even necessary. But for the maybe 30 seat bars I'm playing now, my half stack running at half power is overkill. It looks cool, but at the last show I had to turn down to bedroom level so I wasn't too hot for the sound man to work with or overpowering the mains. Looking at things honestly, I think I'd be better served by maybe a 30W amp into a 1x12 or 2x12. I simply don't need the headroom of 100W into a pair of 4x12s right now. That doesn't mean I'm gonna be selling off the half stack. It'll be good to have that headroom available when I do need it.

Quote Originally Posted by guitfiddle View Post
    You've touched a good point here...too many sound guys believe that they are responsible for every bit of sound the audience hears, even in tiny little rooms.

Well, I call serious BS on that one, cause it's called sound reinforcement for a reason...if there's enough guitar coming off the stage, you DO NOT need to put a mic on the amp and put it into the mains.

If the bass player has an SVT stack in a little room, you don't need to run the bass in to the mains, either.

Reinforcement means to raise the level of the things onstage that won't get loud enough on their own...drums/vocals/keys if the player has no amp/horns, etc...not to generate the entire soundscape through the PA. Obviously at a stadium or in a really gigantic room, everything will be mic'd, but I get cracked up at sound guys putting a mic on a guitar amp in a room that's 40' x 60'.
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. A 4x12 or pair of em can be very very directional, causing coverage issues. Yeah, I can fill the room with a 100W stack at a 30 seat bar, but the PA is gonna do a better job of filling the place, and with a better balance of sound throughout. Last show the my other guitarist was so loud that he wasn't in the PA and the sound man was trying to mix around him. I made at least one painfully obvious mistake on every song in the set, but afterward people were complementing me on my performance. AFAIK, nobody complimented the other guitarist on his. The other guitarist was complaining that he couldn't hear himself on stage, and I suspect the crowd couldn't hear him that well either. If turning my stack down or and letting the PA do the heavy lifting means a better sound for the show then I'm for it, even if it means I have to bite the bullet and and run the amp at bedroom level.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreth View Post
    A 4x12 or pair of em can be very very directional, causing coverage issues. Yeah, I can fill the room with a 100W stack at a 30 seat bar, but the PA is gonna do a better job of filling the place, and with a better balance of sound throughout.
    Beam Blockers. They work.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! You Dickelhead!!!!!!

You've touched a good point here...too many sound guys believe that they are responsible for every bit of sound the audience hears, even in tiny little rooms.

Well, I call serious BS on that one, cause it's called sound reinforcement for a reason..
    Oh! Yes: Sound mixers that want to dictate to band members how loud their amp is going to be are bereft of understanding.A band "should " have it's own stage sound/balance [If it hasn't, they really need to start learning about it].
    Then comes the sound Re-inforcement.This backs up the stage sound/balance.
    The last band I mixed, a punky headbanger band always wondered how I got them to sound so loud!? It's probably not that it was any louder.: It was balanced and had a clarity.The "loudness was a bit of an Audio Illusion.

I've had a few doublestacks.I only use a single quad box these days which doesn't get cranked very often,but then again it doesn't get used all that often. Cranking is still the only way i will get some of the sounds I want. I don't use ditortion boxes, just a sutain /parametric EQ /pre-boost TC padal and a few effects.[wow and stereo delay]Back in the seventies I played with some guys on a weekly basis in the basement of the drummers sisters resteraunt.
    We had to keep it to a pretty low volume so I just used to run one quad box and it was turned down a fair bit.The only pedal I used then was a wow pedal,nothing else.For what we did it was fine produced all the sound and tone I wanted at low volume.

^^ Just for my understanding as I´ve never herad the term before: is a wow pedal the same thing we Yankees call a wah pedal (Morley, Dunlop Crybaby, Vox 847 and whatnot) or is it something else entirely?

Currently I´m assuming it is, but I like to know things with certainity

Answer here, or I´ll fill your sodding inbox with so many bloody messages you´ll be screaming for the 'roos to come beat you at boxing
    Last edited by Zerberus; 01-29-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!

You sir have a vagina that drags the ground.

Has anyone else noticed that the low wattage combo amp craze has coincided perfectly with an era of enemic, lame, girl pants wearing, gutless rock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the low wattage combo amp craze has coincided perfectly with an era of enemic, lame, girl pants wearing, gutless rock?
    Of course, it´s the same thing every 15 years. Pussies come up and want to be all emotional and "laid back", because they think that rock is either pretentious or "too hard and fast" to get the girls. SO they dial back the gain, up the emo, and insert the suck.

And then some really badass metal band comes rolling through like ´Tallica did in the 80s and Pantera did in the 90s, all the real men realize what fags they´ve been acting like, and all of a sudden fullstacks, metal and loud ****ing lifestyles are in again and all the chicks are in the arms of people like me where they belonged all the time, instead of chasing some poser that looked better in her pants than she did
    Last edited by Zerberus; 01-29-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I agree 100%.

Still - I remember reading an interview... "KRANNNGGGGGG!!!"

Truthfully, I think it makes you feel like you have a penis so big you have to tuck it into your sock.
    Now, I know why the end of my johnson hurts when I walk....

I keep stepping on it!
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I agree 100%.

Still - I remember reading an interview... "KRANNNGGGGGG!!!"

Truthfully, I think it makes you feel like you have a penis so big you have to tuck it into your sock.
    Now, I know why the end of my johnson hurts when I walk....

I keep stepping on it!
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    ^^ Just for my understanding as I´ve never herad the term before: is a wow pedal the same thing we Yankees call a wah pedal (Morley, Dunlop Crybaby, Vox 847 and whatnot) or is it something else entirely?

Currently I´m assuming it is, but I like to know things with certainity

Answer here, or I´ll fill your sodding inbox with so many bloody messages you´ll be screaming for the 'roos to come beat you at boxing
    Yes! you YANKEE Zerberus Person.It's one of those things that comes from the 60's and the British influence on my musical vocabulary.
    You've never herad the term before? neither have I ;but you've never heard the term before? really?It's old like me, which is probably why I used it without thinking about instead of translating into American.
    Type it into google ,you'll get Wow/Wah pedals.
    It's a bit like the Squire/Squier thing.

HaHa;I was talking to Jolly before.He can't understand me half the time unless I mimic His "Suthern" accent.
    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 01-30-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Interesting Observation!
    Have you still got that pic of "Bobs Bar and Grill" around?

I'm glad all you stack haters are out there! The price of 4x12 cabinets hasn't been better. Keep hatin'. . . I'll keep buyin'!

Love this thread... Lotsa philosophical discussions...

B

HaHa!!

At the beginning of this thread [ 09-14-2008,] Jolly posted this.
    Which has since become this..........................

Last edited by GoldenVulture; 01-30-2010 at 05:14 PM.

my brother bought a 50w Hiwatt head. he's run it thru 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 and i think 8x12, and it sounds best @4x12.

it also has this big huge sound at moderate volumes too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    HaHa;I was talking to Jolly before.He can't understand me half the time unless I mimic His "Suthern" accent.
    The irony here being that I can´t understand Jolly when I´m sober, good thing that doesn´t happen often

my big amps are gone. Couldn't hear Schenker with 2 full Marshall stacks. Couldn't hear Lynch with 15 amps. No sound guy will let you turn past 1 and a half.

they are useless. If I play a stadium tomorrow and need a big giant note for some reason that I can no longer fathom, I can go rent my old 5150 & UberKab for the night. My 112 open back is louder than that Uberkab was anyway. It just doesn't *have* to be super-loud all the time. Only if desired.

much happier now
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks