Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 72 of 72

Thread: EL 84s

  1. #61
    Gear Ho Gearjoneser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Palmdale, Ca.
    Age
    48
    Posts
    39,371

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Hey Myles! It's great to see you posting all this great information here! It'll be a real education on vacuum tubes for those of us who are wanting to broaden our knowledge on the subject.

    I know for a fact that most of what you write here won't get lost in the many pages, as it'll surely be added to The Vault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

  2. #62
    Thunderbirdologist Kommerzbassist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,331

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpMarine View Post
    The JJ's are great for sure. TAD's seemed to have a bit higher headroom when I've tried them. The sweetest sounding new production tubes I've tried though were the Ei's. Don't get me started on the GT's, they are the same Russian tubes as the JJ's, but IMHO if you get the JJ's from Eurotubes they do a MUCH better selecting the best tubes from the batch. I've already had the stock GT's fail in my Dr Z and the replacements are starting to get noisey already....popped some JJ's back in and all of my problems went away.

    TAD offers a "lineup"... one of them actually are JJs

    7ender 7anboy.

  3. #63
    Gear Ho Gearjoneser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Palmdale, Ca.
    Age
    48
    Posts
    39,371

    Default Re: EL 84s

    We should all be very excited that Myles is here, available to impart his vast knowledge on this subject.

    Some of the most notable players in the world, including guys like Jerry Cantrell, bring their amps to Myles and pay good money to dial in their amps. And amp companies like GT, 65Amps, and Dr. Z rely on his exploration of tube amp blueprinting to get every aspect of their circuits dialed in to perfection, as well as documented (blueprinted) so that every tube change thereafter is identical, and always at their optimum performance.

    I hope that we're able to pick his brain with somewhat dialed in tube choices for our particular amps. If at all possible, I'd love to get my 2 favorite amps (XTC and Matchless Chieftain) dialed in for every preamp position. I just tend to go the JJ route for all my EL-84's and EL-34's, but I really want to be able to go through my drawer of preamp tubes and have a higher authority on the subject guide me through their recommendations for every position in the circuit.

    Having Myles here is a goldmine for tube amp afficionados, and while some info might fly right over our heads, we stand to learn a lot from one of, if not the highest, authority on the subject.

    Glad to see you here Myles. This looks to be a treasure trove of vacuum tube info, and I'm all ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

  4. #64
    18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Central Washington State
    Age
    48
    Posts
    6,454

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by Kommerzbassist View Post
    TAD offers a "lineup"... one of them actually are JJs
    I've only seen the single TAD labled EL84 offered for sale in the US. Could you point me in the right direction for the "Lineup"?
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

  5. #65
    18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Central Washington State
    Age
    48
    Posts
    6,454

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    A few points to try to help here ....

    The JJ is not Russian it is what was Czech, now Slovakia.

    The stock tube in Z EL84 amps were the EL84S (JJ) in a #5-6 rating.

    If you have GT stuff that is going south contact Mike Fineburg at Kaman which took over GT and try to get them replaced under warranty. When I was at GT we would always replace stuff, no questions asked, in any new Z amp.
    My mistake on the JJ, I was always under the impression that it was a Russian tube...I guess a more accurate other than Czech would have been to call it a Soviet tube, LOL. The good Dr replaced the first set of GT's already and I'm not sure if I even want to replace the second set with the same GT's. But thanks so much for the contact info.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

  6. #66
    Tone Member Myles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Hey Myles! It's great to see you posting all this great information here! It'll be a real education on vacuum tubes for those of us who are wanting to broaden our knowledge on the subject.

    I know for a fact that most of what you write here won't get lost in the many pages, as it'll surely be added to The Vault.
    Don't forget ... you always have a standing invitation at the shop and once my tester comes back I will also be happy to test your own stuff for you as you are local.

  7. #67
    Tone Member Myles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    We should all be very excited that Myles is here, available to impart his vast knowledge on this subject.

    Some of the most notable players in the world, including guys like Jerry Cantrell, bring their amps to Myles and pay good money to dial in their amps. And amp companies like GT, 65Amps, and Dr. Z rely on his exploration of tube amp blueprinting to get every aspect of their circuits dialed in to perfection, as well as documented (blueprinted) so that every tube change thereafter is identical, and always at their optimum performance.

    I hope that we're able to pick his brain with somewhat dialed in tube choices for our particular amps. If at all possible, I'd love to get my 2 favorite amps (XTC and Matchless Chieftain) dialed in for every preamp position. I just tend to go the JJ route for all my EL-84's and EL-34's, but I really want to be able to go through my drawer of preamp tubes and have a higher authority on the subject guide me through their recommendations for every position in the circuit.

    Having Myles here is a goldmine for tube amp afficionados, and while some info might fly right over our heads, we stand to learn a lot from one of, if not the highest, authority on the subject.

    Glad to see you here Myles. This looks to be a treasure trove of vacuum tube info, and I'm all ears.
    Thanks for the kind words and you know where to find me

  8. #68
    Tone Member Myles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpMarine View Post
    My mistake on the JJ, I was always under the impression that it was a Russian tube...I guess a more accurate other than Czech would have been to call it a Soviet tube, LOL. The good Dr replaced the first set of GT's already and I'm not sure if I even want to replace the second set with the same GT's. But thanks so much for the contact info.

    You are quite welcome

  9. #69
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    362

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Don't forget ... you always have a standing invitation at the shop and once my tester comes back I will also be happy to test your own stuff for you as you are local.
    Sometimes it sucks to live in Utah. lol

    Thanks for the MySpace add Myles. The amount of info on your site is astounding.

  10. #70
    Tone Member Myles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by shaka View Post
    Sometimes it sucks to live in Utah. lol

    Thanks for the MySpace add Myles. The amount of info on your site is astounding.
    It sucks to live in Utah? Well ... look around just about anywhere in Utah and look around Los Angeles.

    Or ... take a drive. In L.A. on the 405 it takes the same amount of time to drive from the Santa Monica blvd exit to the Sunset Blvd exit ... maybe three miles or less ..... as it takes to drive from Salt Lake City to Moab Utah

    .... unless you are on the 405 between 2am-5am.

  11. #71
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    362

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Oh I actually love Utah. I've spent a lot of time mountain biking and hiking in Moab. I prefer boating on Lake Powell though.

    My fam used to live in La Crescenta and I lived in LA on and off during the 90's. I was specifically refering to your offer to SoCal locals and lamenting my lack of proximity.

  12. #72
    Tone Member Myles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: EL 84s

    Quote Originally Posted by shaka View Post
    Oh I actually love Utah. I've spent a lot of time mountain biking and hiking in Moab. I prefer boating on Lake Powell though.

    My fam used to live in La Crescenta and I lived in LA on and off during the 90's. I was specifically refering to your offer to SoCal locals and lamenting my lack of proximity.

    Hmmm ... I think of Utah as pretty close to L.A.

    I have some great friends in Utah that I will visit soon, one of them is a pretty high end architect and an amazing photographer ( www.impliedimages.com ) who lives in Salt Lake City.

    So ... I will be heading to Utah in the near future and when I am on the road I have all my tools and test equipment with me so I will be able to check anything out when I am in your area if you wish.

    I usually have where I have gone or what I have been doing on my myspace blog and have it open so folks do not have to be myspace members to look at it. At times when I know it in advance I put my schedule. You can see it at http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...endID=75383312

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •