Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Well XLVIII: Rex, self appointed king of the Anterwebs wanted dead or alive!

Default Re: The Well XLVIII: Rex, self appointed king of the Anterwebs wanted dead or alive!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    You mentioned a while back that you thought it was cool that there are a few people on here that cook because you're picking up some great tips.
    Having said that: What are some of your favorite foods?
    What do you like cook and what do you look forward to eating when you go out?
    I worked in food service starting out and took commercial foods in high school and considered culinary school for awhile. My downfall is that I am a somewhat picky eater and I have issues with some foods, especially tomatoes.

I like most protiens and I am very partial to seafood. I made scallops last night (the big ones!) and cooked them in a pan with butter, olive oil, lemon, sea salt, fresh pepper, garlic, cyan (sp) pepper and chili powder. I did a light sear on both sides and then covered them to steam. Wide rice and a veggy medly for sides.

I do another simular thing with chicken and dump it over angel hair pasta. My beef strokinoff is pretty wicked as well and I grill/broil a mean steak.

When I go out I like to get things I don't normally cook so anything with a cream sauce usually works and I absolutely love chinese food.

Default Re: The Well XLVIII: Rex, self appointed king of the Anterwebs wanted dead or alive!

Quote Originally Posted by newking70 View Post
    ok, you're ship wrecked on a desert island, which forum member would you like to be marooned with.

JohnJohn
    McDLT
    Jolly
    Gearjoneser
    theodie
    Scott_F
    Skarekrough
    I thought we had some female members.

JohnJohn can cook but Skarekrough can fish. Jolly is only funny when he's drunk and Scott doesn't look like he shares well at the dinner table. Gearjoneser has trouble riding a bike and I can't be sure about someone that names themselves after a failed clown burger.

I guess I am stuck with theodie. I'll try the seafood bisque but I am staying away from the chowder.

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Your Highness, have you appointed any other nefarious members to your court?
    Not yet. I can't move forward until you are properly seated as vice-tax collector in SW Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Have you ever dimed the Marshall inside your home, and if so what were the results?

Are you into pedals, or do you just plug in and jam?

What's on your "bucket list"?
    I did dime the Marshall receintly but I had to stand in the next door to play. It sounded groovy but it was way too freakin loud. I used to crank the Mesa 290 once in awhile for fun and at 90 watts a side it was deadly.

I do like pedals though I never used them with the Mesa stuff. With the Marshall I like the TTC, TTM, my big box Ratt and a TS9. I don't have any modulation or delay pedals right now but after reading the pedal board thread I may invest in a few new toys.

When I practice I almost always play clean so I plug and play alot. A lot of guys use gain to cover the fluff but I prefer to work it out clean because it helps develop clarity once you goose the amp. I was raised by engineers so I have a fussy side to my personality caused by dad and grand dad being nit picky. As a result I played my scales through the modes over and over listening for the slightest string ring and dead note as well as off timing and sway. If it wasn't perfect I would start over until it was.

Being that picky takes time and patients to get anything done but it pays off in the hands. With recording I wish I was less picky. Being a perfectionist makes it hard to get anything done. I wish I could afford a real engineer and producer so I would have someone to tell me to shut up and just play the guitar.

"Shut up and just play the guitar."

There, did that help, Oh Rex?
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou

Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    "Shut up and just play the guitar."

There, did that help, Oh Rex?
    Hey ya crazy cajun, don't make me punch you in the tooth!

knowing what you know now, what in your life would you do differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

theodie

Robert, didnt you say you were homeless at one point?

If so, can you explain what it was like and what had you in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by newking70 View Post
    knowing what you know now, what in your life would you do differently?
    Two things. First avoiding alcohol at all costs. I wasted too much time drinking and almost as much time cleaning up the mess. Had I steered clear of the stuff I would have been far better off.

Secondly I should have picked one thing and stuck to it. Whether a career in music, electronics or the trades I should have made a choice. I was sort of stuck in the middle of those three things for far too long and if I would have applied myself to any of them full time and without reservations I would have most likely been far more successful at an earlier age.

As an after thought I would have also treated my family and especially my paternal grandparents better. Those two people loved me unconditionally and supported me through my worst times no matter what I did. I wish I could have done more to show my appriciation while they were still alive but I know that they are pleased with how I turned out in the end.

I still live my life considering what they would think.

Quote Originally Posted by theodie View Post
    Robert, didnt you say you were homeless at one point?

If so, can you explain what it was like and what had you in that situation.
    Oh my, lets see if I can keep this family oriented.

As a result of my drinking and other un-named bad habits (a rock guitar player, figure it out...) as well as being married to someone I was completely incompatable with, I ended up getting divorced in 2003. Doing what any sane person would do, I packed my rig and anything else I could fit into a Ford Tempo and after borrowing $500 from my parents I pointed my car due west and drove to California!

Long story short, work was tight and I got fired from the live-in position I landed in LA. Not too long after that the Tempo got impounded by LAs Rampart Division (watch COPS - they are scary) and ended up with no place to go. I ended up learning the ropes to living on the street in LA pretty quickly and found out where you could stay and what churches had cold weather shelters and food banks. I came back in 1994 and stayed with my grandfather for a short while but he got tired of my shenanigans and showed me the door and I ended up living on Detroits Cass Corridor for a bit in a shelter run in part by the salvation army.

After a few months I managed to convince my GP to let me back in and I started dating a woman who let me move in. She got tired of me and I found another female to support me. That got me up to 1997 when I finally sobered up, realized that the woman I was seeing was nutters and I set out to find a proper female to hang with.

I am purposefully leaving out many of the gory details and there are quite a few funny and interesting stories about my adventures between 1993 and 1997 as well but they aren't appropriate for this site. The tragedy is that I wasted quite a few good years poisoning myself but on the bright side I have now been married almost 10 years, I have the respect of my family back and I just sent out the last of my payments for child support and past debt and except for the house note I am completely debt free with a growing small business to support myself with.

Sometimes you gotta do more than just say no but it's a start!

As for what it was like being homeless, it was horrible in hindsite but at the time as long as I was hammered and relatively warm I didn't particularily care where I was at. You learn how to hustle or you die. Those are the choices on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert S. View Post
    Gearjoneser has trouble riding a bike
    Wrong my brutha. Picking me means you'd live like a king on that island, and would prefer to stay there! LOL

And speaking of desert islands....

One guitar

One amp

One electronic device plugged in

One beer

One vehicle

One weapon
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 11-24-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

What keeps you clean?
    Mostly soap and water and I let the wife warsh the fuzzy parts!

Without busting up the Gs rule a lot of 12 step work, a belief in something greater than myself and the support of a few good friends. My two best friends both have over 20 years clean and I now stick with the winners. If you have a drinking problem and aren't looking for help I don't have a lot of room for you in my life.

It's not always easy and I do sometimes think about it but drinking just isn't an option anymore. It really takes me to a place that I have no interest in visiting ever again.

Service work helps as well. There is nothing more powerful to get you out of your own head than helping someone else in worse shape than you are. I really do try and give away more than I receive.

If it helps, I wash hers as well!

Ford, Chevy, or Mopar man?

If you take lessons from one guitarist, alive or dead, for one hour, who would it be and why?

Who were your main influences in your early playing days?

I like the attitude. Ted Nugent or Bob Segar?
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

eminem or kid rock?
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Wrong my brutha. Picking me means you'd live like a king on that island, and would prefer to stay there! LOL

And speaking of desert islands....

One guitar

One amp

One electronic device plugged in

One beer

One vehicle

One weapon

My 1998 honeyburst std.

Something class A with a solid 2nd channel. A Lonestar Special would work.

A solid stereo so I would have something to play against.

Can I trade the beer for a coffee pot? I really need my coffee.

A bike cause I don't see gasoline in the picture.

A knife. It's hard to dress fresh meat with a gun. Plus I want to be up close and personal as I finish you for wrecking my new bike.

I think Joe wants to be a queen.
    All men and women as well as most woodland creatures want to be my Queen. It's a curse and a blessing but mostly a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Ford, Chevy, or Mopar man?

If you take lessons from one guitarist, alive or dead, for one hour, who would it be and why?

Who were your main influences in your early playing days?
    I was born and raised on FoMoCo. In almost 30 years my Fords have never let me down.

Steve Via. His playing is so removed from anything I currently do.

I was a huge Beatles fan starting out and later Hendrix, Page and Clapton of course. I also really dug DeMeola and Jeff beck in the earlier days. Friday Night Live in San Francisco was an album that made me thingk "this is guitar playing."