Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boosting a tube amp??

Ben1962

Default Re: Boosting a tube amp??

Because you get a tighter bass response. Its no secret that adding small amounts of gain are better than 1 high gain setting. Thats not just me, but Tremonti and real guitar players. I dont use any gain from the pedal, just volume and I can hear the difference.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

The difference you hear is sticking a solid state gain stage in front of your tube amp. And yet the same TS worshipping people will crib about that preposterous 'clipping diode' in their Marshall or Blackstar ****ing up all the pure sweet tube tone..

Modern high gain heads typically have at least 5 or 6 gain stages anyway..sure you can can use your tubescreamer to make that SEVEN (in fact you MUST )

Sorry, I just just don't subscribe to the "mandatory boost/TS" ideal. I think the idea became obsolete post the JCM 800 era. Any more gain than that & you don't NEED a tubescreamer...try things like proper EQ'ing & mic placement for more edge instead
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Ben1962

Thats cool, but I just think it sounds better with lower gain on the amp and as a bedroom hero, the harmonics and other goodies seem to come out sooner. My head is way too frickin big, but I wanted it. So I hear how preamp distortion sucks all the time, I love my sound now. I have the Way Huge Saucy Box pedal, and its somewhat different than the average OD. As you dime either the gain or the volume, the overall volume doesnt drastically change. I have plenty of overdrives and said ehhh, that pedal is the one that stays. But whatever, for lower volumes gives me a nice fat chunk that I like. You guys are pros, I am just a hack, but I do have good ears and like what I hear.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Not a pro lol, I've poured a whole lot more coinage into guitar playing than I've ever got out of it (which is beer change at the best of times ). I've probably just been hacking away a while longer

To each their own dude, what works for you may not work for me & vice versa
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

It even depends somewhat on the strings/setup.
    Tighter beefier strings tend to sound drier while smaller strings at looser tension have more "perceived" gain.

I 100% agree that the extra clipping stage can sometimes over-soften the feel of a high-gain amp, depending on the other factors of course.

That's one thing I really enjoy about my Focus-boost and my Icescream w/diode-lift,,,,,,,they don't soften the feel like a typical tubescreamer circuit.

Ben1962

I have yet to be able to crank my EVH head past 3 in my house. I dont think I have ever heard the joy of power tube distortion. 50 watts was way too much, but I wanted one LOL

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    I had first hand experience with this. I used to own nothing but vintage (non re-issue) non master marshalls. I had the luxury of practicing in the studio at loud volumes and I bought a bbe boosta grande clean boost pedal to nail the sound of a louder and more cranked marshall plexi without the extra volume and no mushy mess at all.

If you have a re-issue plexi with an effects loop try putting the effects through there. My 2203x does not take pedals directly in-it needs then through the loop.

Also, the single knob on the pedal is all i need. Simple. True bypass.
    First, I didnt think it was wise to run a distortion pedal through an effects loop..??
    Second, Since way back when I started this thread, I now am using a Splawn Quick rod. It has more gain than the JCM800. If I need any more, I sometimes will push it with a MXR 10 band eq, or a Green Rhino. Ive also learned that the PV Classic 30 has its limitations, pure and simple.. So, Im no longer trying to make that one scream..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

I have yet to be able to crank my EVH past 3 in my house
    Keywords there... "in my HOUSE". I'm definitely not one of these gear-snobs who'd ever be so opinionated that is over the top to the point where they're spending more time talking down about every other guys rig, than they are actually PLAYING their own... And I gotta give you props for getting up here and being honest enough in your reply to have said "I just wanted one"!!! When I read that, 2 things went through my head at the same time... 1-Good for this dude (because I'm of a similar mindset), and 2- "OUCH" the "elitists" (a.k.a.- legend in their own mind) and ego-maniac tone police are gonna have fun when they see this one!!

Fact- 50 tube watts IS infact, WAY too much for use within a house. And even when the wife and kids are gone and you do get to turn it up ever so slightly, well, let's just say you most likely (unless you lucked out) aren't helping the neighbors see you in a positive light. Especially if they're elderly, because rock n roll is the devil's spawn, and if you happen to be the one playing it, well then, now you're just satan himself!

Another FACT- listen up all you guys out there who are void of acceptance and/or humility!!! Because this one supercedes anything n everything else when it comes to gear any one man may or may not choose to purchase, (and this pertains to guitar gear AND every other material thing out there) that choice is for that individual and that individual alone to make. Whether it's a guy just beginning who buys a Plexi and full-stack, or an expert who plays a chibson through a solid-state combo who may also, when the mood strikes him, run a behringer overdrive through his effects loop! It's the human right of ANY person to buy WHATEVER they want. That's the beauty of music, it's in the ears of the beholder! I hated boy bands in high school (that's a thing that hasn't changed to this day) but that didnt stop them from going multi-platinum, multiple times! Being unable to personally connect with any one thing does not make that thing any less valid, to the next man or in general.

Sorry I've gone out in left field. But in the past month, it seems EVERY SINGLE TIME Ive made an attempt to use this or ANY other forum for the purpose(s) in which they were intended, I've found myself plagued at every turn by individuals who make EVERYTHING they come across about THEM, and as opposed to helping someone with their question, by stating facts or offering suggestions, they choose instead to condescend by writing replies aimed at making someone feel foolish or less-than, because of the nature of the question, or the question in and of itself, or because gear mentioned in a person's thread/question either isn't up to their "standards" or maybe it great gear but someone's gotta put it down because they're just salty n butt-hurt that they can't afford it. Either way, every last bit of that type of thing is pure BS.

The 5150lll is great (100 and 50 watt, 6L6 and EL34 versions) While I despised Van Halen when I was coming up (still not a big fan now, of the band as a whole) there is absolutely NO denying the FACT that Eddie is one of the true greats of all time and a master at his craft, and I have the utmost respect for the fact that, while the man does seem extremely ego driven and full of himself (though lately it seems to have been toned down a notch or two), he still continues to PRACTICE and LEARN and push the boundaries. From the inception of VanHalen, to the partnership with PEAVEY and the original 5150 and the "brown sound", to breaking ties with Peavey and partnering with Fender which ushered in the 5150lll (and the many variants to follow), Eddie himself has been a shining example of the "beauty is in the ears of the beholder" mantra. We like what we like, and then down the road.... What we like changes. If the 5150lll's sounded like a 5150, the only time one would be sold is when a guys 5150 finally craps out and he can't find another.

Good on ya for playing what you want because you wanted to. I've got a 6505+ and a cab I put together myself, and I couldn't be happier!

If you look into attenuators, you may find one of those to be a great aid in allowing you to get the tone you've otherwise fallen short of due to the constraints of your jammin' area. These awesome little guys allow you to crank your signal, which will in turn push your tubes to their sweet-spot, but at the same time, allow you to do so while not irritating the wife/kids with the volume levels which otherwise go hand-in-hand with a pushed tube amplifier. I'd call it something between a solid improvement and a miracle!
    Last edited by SZjammin83; 03-24-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Umm, welcome to the forum?

If you post a question we will answer it to the best of our knowledge. I don't know what other forums you are on, but here is all about good useful information. But that was one hell of an entrance.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Not to mention in an 11 y/o thread…

Ah ha an old thread I haven't posted in

I agree with the current thread resurrectionist
    50 watt amps are too loud for the house
    So are cranked twentys and fifteen

I currently use a 5 watt choked to 0.1 watt

I had my Carvin Belair (50 watt el84) set on two
    And put a cranked Joyo Ultimate Drive into the front
    KRRRRRAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!
    the neighbors all came out on the porch
    I could have imagined what would have happened if I had continued

The police haven't been called for loud music since the 80s
    No need stirring that back up

Yep the low watter is just about a loud TV volume when cranked
    Unless you are in the yard you cant hear a thing

And welcome to the forum
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Hi jammer 83, I agree with Mincer (who is one of our moderators), that was one heck of a first post.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

SZJammin83, welcome to the forum and bravo for the grand entrance!! look forward to having you around!
    I have a Splawn 100 watt half stack and if it didnt have the ability to have great tones at lower volumes, Id be screwed..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    Stupid tube-amp question for the newbie: Generally speaking, does it have to be cranked maybe at least past five to obtain its full glory? I just got a 60 watt combo (2x12) and at room level, the distortion channel sounds has some sort of a fuzz in the background, if that makes sense. It sounds better with at louder volume though. By better I mean, more headroom and mids.
    My Mesa amps have all needed to be at a certain volume level in order to really fill out the tone.

Lately I've been using a maxon cp9pro+ as a clean-booster for my 90's rectos. Improves focus and sustain without sounding so filtered like a ts.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    Stupid tube-amp question for the newbie: Generally speaking, does it have to be cranked maybe at least past five to obtain its full glory? I just got a 60 watt combo (2x12) and at room level, the distortion channel sounds has some sort of a fuzz in the background, if that makes sense. It sounds better with at louder volume though. By better I mean, more headroom and mids.
    I think you answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by SZjammin83 View Post

Another FACT- listen up all you guys out there who are void of acceptance and/or humility!!! Because this one supercedes anything n everything else when it comes to gear any one man may or may not choose to purchase, (and this pertains to guitar gear AND every other material thing out there) that choice is for that individual and that individual alone to make. Whether it's a guy just beginning who buys a Plexi and full-stack, or an expert who plays a chibson through a solid-state combo who may also, when the mood strikes him, run a behringer overdrive through his effects loop! It's the human right of ANY person to buy WHATEVER they want.
    I could not agree with you more. There are so many people on music forums that feel the way they approach tone is the only way to go. If you are doing anything different, you are flawed in some way. What they forget is there are so many different styles of music and ways to deliver it to the masses. Creamy, thick, overdrive sounds are great but would not work for a guitarist like Jack White or Dan Auerbach. It blows my mind when a forum or bedroom warrior will then attack a pro like the aforementioned guitarists saying the guitarist's tone sucks or sounds like bees in a can, especially when the person is playing to 10's of thousands every night that love every note. If people began their posts with "what works for me" or "in my experience" the internet would be a more hospitable place. Void of acceptance and/or humility? Yeah, I know exactlly where you are coming from.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I have about 4 possible gain stages before my pretty clean Fender Amp. -use less when using my Marshall stack

and always use an Xotic EP booster at the end before the amp

It's important to test out and mess around withwhat your first engaged pedal (ie buffered circuit) is in your signal chain -this dramatically affects your sound and drive strategy -as it's what interacts with the pickups which sets the stage for everything
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Little Pigbacon

I bought a 100W JVM head “because I wanted it”, and I am lucky that it sounds great at low volumes. I can make it sound differently good with pedals. If it sounds better cranked, well, that’s a bonus for those who have a place where they can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    I bought a 100W JVM head “because I wanted it”, and I am lucky that it sounds great at low volumes. I can make it sound differently good with pedals. If it sounds better cranked, well, that’s a bonus for those who have a place where they can do that.

My amp gets super fuzzy and warm when it's played at volumes low enough not to require ear plugs. I love it, even though it's not in any way usable in a band setting, but it does make for a really, REALLY cool tube fuzz
    Last edited by Coma; 03-29-2019 at 06:16 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8