Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To Use Two Amps At The Same Time?

Default Re: How To Use Two Amps At The Same Time?

For switching options, stereo effects, and the "wall of sound", 2 amps can be really cool. I also prefer doing it with a stereo chorus pedal. Aside from a stereo chorus effect, I go for a "bi-amp" effect, commonly used by bassists and some guitarists. The bi-amp effect involves splitting the signal by any means and tweaking the EQ knobs to accentuate the strengths of a respective amp and lower the shortcomings. The result is that they fill in each other's gaps in the wall of sound. For example, one amp could be set for a deep bass rumble, which the other can't handle, while the other could be EQed for a proper upper midrange sting.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlowGroove View Post
    In the perfect world, this would be my set up :

Not that i am a fan of their music, but the rig, ohhhh man !

One day . . .

James
    Who is that in the picture, James?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

I used to use a Boss CE-1 as the splitting point, and when I wanted a wide sound, turned it on, when not, turned it off.

Lewguitar

I'd like to say that I find playing through two small amps (like two Fender Princetons, two Deluxes, etc.) allows me to get a big sound and get the sustain of a cranked amp, while at the same time feeling as if I'm playing at a more modest, less ear damaging level.

I know I'm reviving an old thread here but it's a great thread and hopefully I can add information to it. I tried splitting to two amps last nigth with my Line6 DL-4 and it worked when I engaged a preset, but in True Bypass Mode it only routed out the Left/Mono. I forgot to try it with Alternate Bypass Mode - DSP still enabled - but don't want that anyway. Is this expected behavior? Additionally, and importantly, I read that splitting to two amps in a venue with poor wiring (most!) could fry one of the amps, and potentially injure the guitarist :S I forget the post but it was detailed and has me worried now - is there any truth to this, and is it anymore likely with two amps than one amp in such an environment? I would luurve the Lehle pedal but I have no money so I'm hoping I can run both amps with the DL-4 pre and post FX.