Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Use Two Amps At The Same Time?

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Default Re: How To Use Two Amps At The Same Time?

Quote Originally Posted by Rid View Post
    If more than one amp is running at the same time...you guys need a splitter box with separeted outputs(that usually include coils, and is not cheap by any means)
    Any selfrespecting tech can build one of those!
    Would you build one, Niels? Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

I've played through 2 amps for many years, and still do today. However I rarely play through both at the same time. I am currently using a Morley A/B/Y to achieve this. The Morley is on its way out and very soon I will replace it with a Lehle Amp switcher.

My rig is pretty simple. For years I used a Marshall 900 A/B'd with a Fender Super Reverb. The Fender was for cleans & the Marshall for my heavier louder stuff. The Super also had a TS9 in front for a solo boost & to add some sustain whenI needed it.

I still have both of those amps and use them occasionally but now I am using a Bogner Shiva for the cleans & drive (the drive channel is pretty darn good once you spend some time dialing in.) My other amp is a Komet 60. The Komet is an amazingly articulate amp & the cleans are to die for. I have a really nice OD pedal that I use to solo with the Komet as well & I have a TS9 for the Bogner.

The real way I use this is to play my chord or rhythm through the amp of choice & setup the other to switch to for solos. This works quite well, but you really need a good a/b/y to isolate the channels completely. My Morley does bleed from a to b a bit. Its tolerable..... the Lehle will stop it completely. The Morley can run both amps at the same time... it has A or B or A & B. A lot of people use this approach.

Guys like Jimi Hendrix & Eric Clapton back in the 60's just daisy chained their 100 W Marshalls to each other. They plugged into one & had as many as 5 other amps plugged into each other. At Woodstock Jimi had 6 full stacks Daisy chained together. 600Watts & 48 12" speakers...... Whoa!!!!!!!!!

Eric Johnson uses 2 amps as you mentioned, but he rarely plays through both at the same time. he uses certain amps & effects in some cases for just one note. If you ever see him live his foot work is almost as impressive as his hands.

Playing with 2 smaller amps is a really cool idea. Like Lew does. You get a really sweet tone out of a smaller powered amp, but when you play through 2 it just makes the sound bigger.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Unseen

Would you build one, Niels? Seriously.
    I am not building anything these days
    My last projects has hit the streets.......the rest will be Thomas only.
    I had it!

I am not building anything these days
    My last projects has hit the streets.......the rest will be Thomas only.
    I had it!
    So of you're not building anymore, what are you up to now?
    I am just jug the merlot

Unseen

Soldering everyday stuff at the factory, and repairing guitars
    Just not developing anything for anybody right now....
    If anything happends further down the line...I dunno right now....I am just working with assembly and preperations these days.

Soldering everyday stuff at the factory, and repairing guitars
    Just not developing anything for anybody right now....
    If anything happends further down the line...I dunno right now....I am just working with assembly and preperations these days.
    I guess it is your choice but I think it's a waste...

Unseen

Well I rather like it this way

besides the ABY pedals mentioned, there are also the Framptone, and a newer one from Radial's Bone series
    "music heals"
    facebook

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

Well my 4X12 has a stereo option for two inputs, and I have Ibanez CS9 that can be a stereo splitter, will I experience that same, big, open, lots of charachter two amp sound if I use CS9 to split into two heads that are gonna go into the same 4X12.
    Last edited by Dr.Mavashi; 12-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    besides the ABY pedals mentioned, there are also the Framptone, and a newer one from Radial's Bone series
    I have a Radial Bone Switcher and it is not what I would recommend because of noise.

I found (By accident) a Lehle Dual Amp Switcher, which works very well, has no noise, and controls ground loop noise via isolation transformers.
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Unseen

Thanks Stratman.....was sitting here trying to remember the name
    Lehle, expensive, very very wellmade, and works!

BFahz

It depends on your goal. When I used to play out, I accomplished two things.
    1. I used to put the other amp on the bass player side so I could run in "stereo" to get a wide sound anywhere on the stage.
    2. Tone - I would run the second rig with much less distortion, almost a clean tone. When the engineer would mic both rigs (I would have to buy them a beer or 10 to do this for me), they would then mix the two tones together for a HUGE front (audience) sound.

Not necessarily louder volume wise, but certainly more frequence and tone rich.

Quote Originally Posted by BFahz View Post
    It depends on your goal. When I used to play out, I accomplished two things.
    1. I used to put the other amp on the bass player side so I could run in "stereo" to get a wide sound anywhere on the stage.
    2. Tone - I would run the second rig with much less distortion, almost a clean tone. When the engineer would mic both rigs (I would have to buy them a beer or 10 to do this for me), they would then mix the two tones together for a HUGE front (audience) sound.

Not necessarily louder volume wise, but certainly more frequence and tone rich.
    When combining both of them in what way are we talking huge tone? it's pretty subjective - are we talking about more warmth? sustain? can you give an example?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    When combining both of them in what way are we talking huge tone? it's pretty subjective - are we talking about more warmth? sustain? can you give an example?
    Probably something similar to the difference between listening to a song with just one headphone vs. a pair of headphones.

- Keith
    I am just jug the merlot

BFahz

Well, on the stage, it may sound odd because "my" side has the primary distorted tone, and the bass player would hear the rawer tone. For leads, on his side, it may sound thinner...

But in the mains up front, if mixed properly, it sounds huge, more in the sense of thickness and full frequency response. PS - I was the only guitar player when I played semi pro.

I personally used to use an ADA MP-1 preamp with a Mesa Simulcast power amp on my side (with 2 Marshall speakers), and then a Marshall 900 on the other side (with 2 Marshall speakers).

I would run guitar ->wah->chorus (split the signal)-> one side goes to ADA, the other goes to a TS-10, then the Marshall. The ADA was the effected tone, and the Marshall was bone dry (minus the use of the distortion pedal here and there).

You could easily accomplish this same type rig with the use of two combo amps. At home now, I have a JSX combo with my "VH" type tone, and I also have a Marshall Valvestate 20W amp that I sometimes run in unison. I have the Marshall on a totally clean channel, and run a slight distortion using my TS10. The volume of this amp if about 3/4 of the JSX, but you can tell it is there. Many pro guitar players run a similar rig to get the fullness of a cleaner amp with the balls of a distorted one. Get a good sound man to mix the two, and you will have a tone to die for.

Another way to think of this - imagine two guitar players in a band; one plays the heavier tone (think Slash), the other cleaner (think Izzy). The constraint here of course is that your the only player (no inversions or melodies), but the tonality may be similar.
    Last edited by BFahz; 12-07-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFahz View Post
    Well, on the stage, it may sound odd because "my" side has the primary distorted tone, and the bass player would hear the rawer tone. For leads, on his side, it may sound thinner...

But in the mains up front, if mixed properly, it sounds huge, more in the sense of thickness and full frequency response. PS - I was the only guitar player when I played semi pro.

I personally used to use an ADA MP-1 preamp with a Mesa Simulcast power amp on my side (with 2 Marshall speakers), and then a Marshall 900 on the other side (with 2 Marshall speakers).

I would run guitar ->wah->chorus (split the signal)-> one side goes to ADA, the other goes to a TS-10, then the Marshall. The ADA was the effected tone, and the Marshall was bone dry (minus the use of the distortion pedal here and there).

You could easily accomplish this same type rig with the use of two combo amps. At home now, I have a JSX combo with my "VH" type tone, and I also have a Marshall Valvestate 20W amp that I sometimes run in unison. I have the Marshall on a totally clean channel, and run a slight distortion using my TS10. The volume of this amp if about 3/4 of the JSX, but you can tell it is there. Many pro guitar players run a similar rig to get the fullness of a cleaner amp with the balls of a distorted one. Get a good sound man to mix the two, and you will have a tone to die for.

Another way to think of this - imagine two guitar players in a band; one plays the heavier tone (think Slash), the other cleaner (think Izzy). The constraint here of course is that your the only player (no inversions or melodies), but the tonality may be similar.
    Nice, but when you were mic'd through a PA - wasn't the whole stereo effect lost a little? or are there some benfits from the "layering"?

BFahz

Nice, but when you were mic'd through a PA - wasn't the whole stereo effect lost a little? or are there some benfits from the "layering"?
    The "stereo effect" really only helps on the stage, and has no real effect on a big house PA system (mostly because both systems that are being mic'd <ADA and Marshall> are being run "up the middle", not panned left and right).

The effect on the house PA is to mix both systems together for a fuller sound, the very same concept behind mic'ing two guitar players in a two guitar player band.

Obviously, to do this takes a lot of work. I used to use this rig when I played large venues back in the lat 80's/early 90's.

If your playing smaller venues, I would recommend two combos - perhaps something like a JSX and then maybe a Fender Reverb Deluxe or a VOX for the second tone, and play them together. The Fender and the VOX have nice layering tones (ala U2), and mix well with ballsier amps like the JSX.

Speaking on behalf of me and myself, we've always been in two minds about using two amps at the same time.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

stereo chorus pedal (preferably with 1 in-phase and 1 out-phase outputs) + nuance setting + 2 different hi-gain amps = wall of sound + happy me

In the perfect world, this would be my set up :

Not that i am a fan of their music, but the rig, ohhhh man !

One day . . .

James
    Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Gibson SG Special w. SD A2P's ->pedal board ->Bassman